Search

DL's wx waiver policy STINKS

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2009, 4:00 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
DL's wx waiver policy STINKS

So, my flight was cxld tomorrow (LGA to PBI) with no other flight options available, no big deal. However, DL is only giving you up until Wednesday, December 23,2009 to change your origination date. Are they for real? Do they really think this is enough time for people to change days off from work, change hotels and other travel plans?

Taking a look at Continental, they are giving you the flexibility to change your travel plans up until the end of the year. Way to go CO, way NOT TO GO DL
Old Dec 18, 2009, 4:03 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by nypdLieu
So, my flight was cxld tomorrow (LGA to PBI) with no other flight options available, no big deal. However, DL is only giving you up until Wednesday, December 23,2009 to change your origination date. Are they for real? Do they really think this is enough time for people to change days off from work, change hotels and other travel plans?
Are you sure that is correct? That looks like the waiver policy for passengers who want to change because of the weather but whose flights have not been affected (yet.)

In my experience if your flight is cancelled due to a winter storm (or for pretty much any reason) you have the option to cancel and retain the credit for future use without change fees.

Of course things may have changed since the last time my travel was impacted by a storm so who knows... that's a terrible policy if it applies to cancelled flights.
Old Dec 18, 2009, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
To me, 5 days is quite generous in reschedling when the storm is supposed to only last for the weekend. You have to also remember this is a holiday week.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...-advisory.html
Old Dec 18, 2009, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by AndyTLe
To me, 5 days is quite generous in reschedling when the storm is supposed to only last for the weekend. You have to also remember this is a holiday week.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...-advisory.html
It's not a great policy if you're trying to fly a weekend trip and can't go out during the week. The waiver currently on DL's website also doesn't include more "inland" Northeast airports like Hartford, Providence, White Plains or Newburgh. Even if those airports aren't directly affected by heavy snow (PVD and HPN likely will be, BDL and SWF, perhaps not as much), many passengers will be coming from or going to coastal areas that will be.

That being said, if your flight is actually canceled, you should be able to get a full refund.
Old Dec 18, 2009, 4:51 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Yes, I can get a full refund. However, I would much prefer to change my itinerary to dates that would work. DL should at least extend the rebooking policy to at least next Saturday as there is no way I can get off from work in the middle of the week.

FWIW, Continental is allowing customers to rebook up until the end of the year, an additional 8 days, which is huge.
Old Dec 18, 2009, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
5 days stinks, Delta can certainly do better for its customers!

but ... If you're in a position to get a refund, carefully evaluate your options. Due to low/slow holiday sales, the airlines removed most advance purchase requirements a few days ago. An itin that cost $1K a week ago might be replaced for $200-300 today.
Old Dec 18, 2009, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Every airline sells full Y fares for those needing total flexibility.
Old Dec 18, 2009, 5:19 pm

Programs: Delta DM / Hilton Diamond
You can change as much as you want within a year of ticket issue for a fee.

They waive all fees within those time periods. IMHO it is a fair arrangement since weather is as much beyond the airline control, as it is beyond mine.
Old Dec 18, 2009, 5:27 pm

Programs: NWA Tears
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Every airline sells full Y fares for those needing total flexibility.
That'd be a good reply if the OP was rescheduling of his own accord. When DL is the one canceling or rescheduling what the customer had originally contracted for they should go a bit further don't you think?
Old Dec 18, 2009, 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by JSFox
That'd be a good reply if the OP was rescheduling of his own accord. When DL is the one canceling or rescheduling what the customer had originally contracted for they should go a bit further don't you think?
It is not like they're canceling because they want to. I am sure it costs them a nice sum of change to cancel their entire NYC operation for a day.

Try seeing it from both sides.
Old Dec 18, 2009, 5:42 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Delta has canceled all service into the DC metro area for Saturday.
http://www.myfoxdc.com/dpp/news/loca...irports-121809

I am scheduled to fly out of RDU tomorrow - should be fun...
Old Dec 18, 2009, 6:12 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Now here's the kicker.

Just got off the phone with DL SMS and was told that all direct flights, lga to pbi, are sold out between Sunday and Wednesday, Dec 23rd, the last day they allow rescheduling. (I have 3 tickets on my itin) So, I cant even reschedule, sans a connection, even if I wanted to before the 23rd.

I know its not DL's fault, the weather and all, but a few more days grace period would avoid me having to ask for my money back. I would have thought that DL would rather keep my money then give it back.

Oh well.
Old Dec 18, 2009, 6:21 pm

I would expect them to add additional capacity after the storm.
They have done this in the past, when an area was hit hard with cancellations.
Old Dec 18, 2009, 6:25 pm

Programs: AA ExpMM, DL 2MM, IHG Spire/RA
Now here's the kicker.

Just got off the phone with DL SMS and was told that all direct flights, lga to pbi, are sold out between Sunday and Wednesday, Dec 23rd, the last day they allow rescheduling. (I have 3 tickets on my itin) So, I cant even reschedule, sans a connection, even if I wanted to before the 23rd.

I know its not DL's fault, the weather and all, but a few more days grace period would avoid me having to ask for my money back. I would have thought that DL would rather keep my money then give it back.

Oh well.
So why not take the flight with a connection?
Old Dec 18, 2009, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Now here's the kicker.

Oh well.
So the offer to rebook is largely a red herring. Figures!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.