Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Int'l. upgrade possibilities from economy to business

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2010, 5:16 am
Original Poster

I'm flying from Heathrow to Detroit in a couple of months in economy. At the time of booking there was a huge difference in price between economy and business class, so I chose economy.

I'm guessing that there will be seats still available on the flight in business class just before it departs - do these seats get sold at a cheaper price just before? Would I be able to get a cheap upgrade if I asked? I'm flying with Delta.

Apologies if this is a silly question, I've never flown before
Old Feb 26, 2010, 5:27 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL , IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold - 2009 FT Fantasy Football Champion
You may want to post this on the Delta forum for a more specific answer.
Many airlines do "upsell" premium seats at a reduced price at checkin, it is very hit or miss depending on the airline, route and time of year.
Old Feb 26, 2010, 8:41 am

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Originally Posted by zappeh
I'm flying from Heathrow to Detroit in a couple of months in economy. At the time of booking there was a huge difference in price between economy and business class, so I chose economy.
FWIW, there is always a huge price difference between economy and business cabins. Otherwise you'll see more often a full business cabin when fewer passengers in Y (economy). Even award tickets in C (business) cost almost double miles in comparison with redemption in Y seats.

Savvy FTers tend to use their miles, instead of cash, for upgrade to business though.

Depending on whether it'll be a high season when you fly, there might not be available business seats for sale at your time of boarding. Delta Forum and flyers on this route should be able to address your question more accurately.

Welcome to FT!
Old Feb 26, 2010, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Good luck, as a DL frequent flyer, 75K+ miles per year I have sat in economy with empty BE seats upfront without even an offer of upgrade using certificates, points or $$$.
Old Feb 26, 2010, 9:37 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
zappeh, welcome to posting on FlyerTalk!. As this is DL-specific, please follow the discussion as the thread moves to our Delta SkyMiles forum. This will avoid the multiple posting of the same Q. in more than one forum, which our Rules discourage. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Feb 26, 2010, 9:40 am

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by zappeh

I'm guessing that there will be seats still available on the flight in business class just before it departs - do these seats get sold at a cheaper price just before? Would I be able to get a cheap upgrade if I asked? I'm flying with Delta.

Apologies if this is a silly question, I've never flown before
To answer the questions honestly: No. No.
Old Feb 26, 2010, 10:06 am

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
Nope, your sitting in coach. If you want Business, either pay for it or pay for a very high fare (M or higher, going to be around $2500 and use 25,000 miles each way to pay for it). Otherwise, enjoy the class of service you originally purchased. (The rare exception is if the flight is oversold they may bump you up, but its not going to happen since you have NO status).
Old Feb 26, 2010, 10:47 am

Programs: DL - Diamond Medallion - 2 Million Miler; Marriott Gold Elite, Radisson GOLD. ParknGo loves me
Originally Posted by tentseller
Good luck, as a DL frequent flyer, 75K+ miles per year I have sat in economy with empty BE seats upfront without even an offer of upgrade using certificates, points or $$$.
Too bad now - I recall NW's upgrade option that popped up sometimes during OLCI. I was able to get BE a couple of times MSP->AMS for a $129 fee.

I am pretty sure DL has discontinued that program.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.