Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Point-beyond Ticketing -- Who has been caught--Is it Worth it?

Point-beyond Ticketing -- Who has been caught--Is it Worth it?

Old Feb 23, 2010, 9:19 am

Programs: UA 2P. Former DL FO in the Golden Age of Mileage Runs
To add a bit to this discussion

a) I agree with the various posters who have no ethical qualms with hidden city and point beyond ticketing. They can use whatever mechanisms they wish to force me to pay more for less; and I will use whatever mechanisms I can to pay less for what I want. I've paid 99 for 2 liters of Coke instead of $1.29 for 24 ounces many times, and no convenience store has ever come after me for the difference.

b) As far as the OP's question: I've done this a few times and haven't been caught. I wouldn't suggest doing it every trip (at least, if you relish your miles/status) but once in a while they don't seem to catch on. For folks in MSP, for example, trips through MSP to other cities (MSN, MKE) are often considerably cheaper than the direct flights. Last summer I booked a o/w through MSP to MKE which was $300 cheaper than the direct flightand actually got mileage and EQM credit for the last leg! As far as NW/DL knows, I was on that plane. I just booked anotherthen end of a several-legged trip where I needed to book a o/w to MSP. They wanted $700 for that, but I found one to MKE for $230. We'll see if I get credit for that, too.
Old Feb 23, 2010, 9:55 am

Programs: AS, DL, UA, Hyatt, SPG
To be frank, I don't know if Delta's IT and Systems are sophisticated enough to notice patterns (some carriers - yes, but DL - I don't know...)

In any event, booking PHL-MSP-OMA to save $200 on your one way fare as opposed to booking PHL-MSP on it's own... It's perfectly feasible that you could legitimately miss your connecting flight one day, or perhaps have a last minute change in travel plans, or have an emergency...

But if you did it every single week then your chances of getting into some issues would of course increase exponentially.

Moral of the story - once or twice a year not completing a ticketed itinerary is not going to flag, but regular repeated incidences are a bad idea.

And one final point - informing a GA or SkyClub rep that you've had a change of plans and can they uncheck you from the flight and cancel the segment - this will not only be appreciated by the staff instead of 'searching' for a 'missing passenger' at the end of boarding - but it will also further reduce the likelihood of any red flags.
Old Feb 23, 2010, 10:27 am

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
Originally Posted by TravelBug3811
Please reply if you have tried this travel pratice lately (or personally know someone who has) and have either been caught or got away with it. I am debating attempting it on Delta. Note that this pratice does constitute a breach of Delta's contract of carriage.
Not first-hand, yet hears a Google search that would provide second-hand info on not following fare rules:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...=delta+revenue

Here's a FT thread:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...tion-unit.html

That appears to have lead to this Atlanta Business Chronicla article:
http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/s...3/smallb8.html
Old Feb 26, 2010, 10:19 am

Programs: UA 2P. Former DL FO in the Golden Age of Mileage Runs
Originally Posted by SamuelS
And one final point - informing a GA or SkyClub rep that you've had a change of plans and can they uncheck you from the flight and cancel the segment - this will not only be appreciated by the staff instead of 'searching' for a 'missing passenger' at the end of boarding - but it will also further reduce the likelihood of any red flags.
So I'm doing this in a few weeks. I assume if I go to the connecting gate and get in line it would be easiest? It'll be early in the morning but I don't really mind, I'll be a wreck from the short redeye (unless I grab an UGday after easter so there are a lot of non FFs so it's possible). But I have a few questions if you (or anyone else) could help:

1. I've done this twice in the last three years (but with different departure points). I've flown those routes several other times without this. I assume this shouldn't raise any red flags then?
2. When I talk to the GA, should I tell them what I am doing, or should I make up an excuse? (Meeting in [destination city] got canceled and I'm just getting off here, for example. Another carrier competes on that route and I could be flying them back.)
3. I assume that I should only do this in person with the GA, right? Definitely not call (it would be easier, as I could go straight to the train station and not have to wander the terminal). I want to fly below the radar, right?
4. Assuming I do go to the GA, any idea what they'll do to show that I had legit not boarded that flight?
5. At least once the miles for the segment not flown actually postedis it worth taking a bit of a chance for a chance at a few extra EQM?

Thanks much.
Old Feb 26, 2010, 10:29 am

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
Is this legal

They had a weekend special CLE-EWR $78.00 round trip. Depart Saturday and return Monday or Tuesday. However you don't want to stay over 2 nights.

Book CLE-EWR Satruday AM and return Monday PM

But another roundtrip EWR-CLE $78.00

Depart EWR Saturday PM back to CLE

On Monday, fly back to EWR which is the return of the EWR-CLE roundtrip

Return EWR-CLE Monday night which is the return portion of the CLE-EWR roundtrip

Anything wrong with this.
Old Feb 26, 2010, 10:40 am

Programs: DL - Diamond Medallion - 2 Million Miler; Marriott Gold Elite, Radisson GOLD. ParknGo loves me
Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer
Is this legal

They had a weekend special CLE-EWR $78.00 round trip. Depart Saturday and return Monday or Tuesday. However you don't want to stay over 2 nights.

Book CLE-EWR Satruday AM and return Monday PM

But another roundtrip EWR-CLE $78.00

Depart EWR Saturday PM back to CLE

On Monday, fly back to EWR which is the return of the EWR-CLE roundtrip

Return EWR-CLE Monday night which is the return portion of the CLE-EWR roundtrip

Anything wrong with this.

These are what earlier posters referred to as back to back. Pretty much the same story as hidden city. Prohibited by the rules for most carriers (exc. apparently Southwest).

Had a travel agent wanted to book them that way for me once. Only advice was make sure to check in yourself on-line for the correct itineraries and take all the flights - and no issue should occur. Didn't do it however, as the trip cancelled.
Old Feb 26, 2010, 10:42 am

Programs: DL KM
If you believe that the term of contract means anything, then yes. I think it's called nesting, and it is specifically "forbidden". That said, the chance of getting caught is slim.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.