Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

30-day Delta Sky Club Membership — No Longer Available: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

30-day Delta Sky Club Membership — No Longer Available: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2010, 12:10 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat, AMEX Centurion (And All That Goes With It)
Maybe it's because I've never had to pay for lounge access (as I have access to Delta, American, Continental and US Air) with my Platinum Amex card, but after visiting probably every SkyClub in existence I have confidently concluded that I would NEVER pay for Delta lounge access. Sure, I take advantage of it, but to me I have never encountered anything worth paying for.

The food options are terrible. They have deteriorated significantly even in the past 14 months since I started frequently flying Delta. Most clubs are grungy and outdated. I have yet to meet a club agent who has been able to confirm an upgrade, much less change seats for me on a flight. Not even sure why they have SkyClub agents.

The best clubs are probably in Detroit, but still, nothing so amazing that I'd ever consider buying access to.

I guess once something has been "free" to me, I could never justify paying for it.
Old Aug 17, 2010, 1:01 pm

I purchased a 30 day membership recently. I found it to be very useful when I had the family with me for a vacation. I probably saved money on all the free beverages for 4. It was also nice to sit in relative peace and quiet.And it was nice that my girls were able to recharge their ipods and nintendos.

However, the most impressive aspect of it for me was the help I received from the SC agents. My wife got sick on both the outbound and inbound legs. We to spend an extra night in our connection cities both times.

In MEM the gate agents took care of things.

In ATL, we went to the lounge around B10 and the agent went way out of her way to get us rebooked. Spent a lot of time, made a number of calls and apologized that she had to charge us $50 each. I was expecting $150 each. She offered us amenity kits. Awesome agent!

The next morning, one of our bags which had been checked in CLT wasn't showing up on our itinerary and the agent in the club next to Chili's (A17?) found it for us in the system and got everything squared away.

I'm heading to STL tomorrow to take a trip to LIM. My membership expires the day before I return. But, I will use it in SAN, MSP and ATL on the way out.

As always, YMMV.

CV
Old Aug 17, 2010, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
I have used day passes in DTW before. I got some with my delta AM ex card and it's $25 if you pay with your DL am ex card.

For me in DTW it is worth $25 (and I usually can get a day pass on ebay for around $20) if someone drops me off at the airport and I have over an hour to kill. I figure the internet and a couple drinks alone would run me that in the airport plus if it's a long flight I am not draining my laptop battery or having to look around for an AC outlet.

I am non medal and the agents have been great working with me. a few weeks ago when we had bad weather in DTW and a lot of flights were cancelled, my DTW/LGA flight was cancelled. I only had to wait in line 5 or 10 minutes and the agent in the skyclub booked me to EWR the next morning and got me in F and I even got the 50% bonus miles (not that the 250 miles were worth much but was nice being in F, especially since I had 2 p.m. theater tickets in manhattan that day).

I used the skyclub friday night and my return trip home LAS/DTW sunday had me in a middle seat even though I booked ove ra month in advance. The agent changed my sunday return trip home to an aisle and the flight was oversold, so both those times would have been worth it to me.

The food choices aren't good at all. Just mainly biscotti (which I love) and cookies and a couple other things. I like the coffee/espresso machine in the Detroit club near security and the open bar.

I haven't been in the EWR one in a while and not even sure if DL took it over or if they have another skyclub there and closed it, but I wasn't impressed with the NW club there. I used to get free admitance with my diners club card and the agents weren't helpful about changing seats and while it was an open bar the alcohol selection wasn't good (they didn't even have real baileys brand baileys, was some generic).
Old Aug 17, 2010, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by CalVol
However, the most impressive aspect of it for me was the help I received from the SC agents. My wife got sick on both the outbound and inbound legs. We to spend an extra night in our connection cities both times.

In MEM the gate agents took care of things.

In ATL, we went to the lounge around B10 and the agent went way out of her way to get us rebooked. Spent a lot of time, made a number of calls and apologized that she had to charge us $50 each. I was expecting $150 each. She offered us amenity kits. Awesome agent!
You took your sick spouse to B10??? Wow....that's grounds for a divorce and her taking everything!!
Old Aug 17, 2010, 4:55 pm

Programs: Hilton Silver, Best West Gold, United Gold
I lucked out with the NWA Lifetime Pass which I just received my Delta Skyclub Lifetime Card. I love the clubs and the flexibility whereas you can choice a skyteam, alliance or oneworld carrier and as long as club in after security and you can get to it U are in !!!
Old Aug 17, 2010, 5:06 pm

Location: MSP (Mahtomedi, MN, USA) - Delta hub captive, Marriott Gold, US Mint Silver, CVS Red
Programs: "We've been starving, and sitting on a ham sandwich the whole time."
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Carolina2Cali
Hey guys -- I have a few random questions and hope someone can help.
-Has anyone ever tried to get a guest to pay you $20 or something to come in with you, even though you don't REALLY know him or her? Hey, the airlines love to take advantage of us, why not back at them?
THANKS SOOOO MUCH in advance!

You have got to be kidding.

Now if you see someone cute in the club, you might offer them $20 to wash your back in the shower....

Old Aug 22, 2010, 4:45 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Marriot Plat, Hilton Gold, United 1K
Do the 30-day passes allow upto 2 guests just like the regular membership? I've heard that you can apply the $90 towards a year membership if you buy within 2 months or something, can anyone verify that? And if so, does anyone have experience buying a $90 30 day membership followed by a one year membership bought with miles? I'm a new member, so i'm wondering if i could get the new member fee waived ($50/10,000 miles) by applying the $90 towards it or something.
Old Aug 22, 2010, 5:33 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Originally Posted by mkumar23
Do the 30-day passes allow upto 2 guests just like the regular membership? I've heard that you can apply the $90 towards a year membership if you buy within 2 months or something, can anyone verify that? And if so, does anyone have experience buying a $90 30 day membership followed by a one year membership bought with miles? I'm a new member, so i'm wondering if i could get the new member fee waived ($50/10,000 miles) by applying the $90 towards it or something.
Yes, the 30-day passes allow two guests.

Yes, you can apply the $90 towards a one-year membership, within 60 days of purchasing the first pass. That makes it sound like you're getting a 14-month membership but you're really getting just 13 months, because the 30-day pass would have expired and be unusable during the second month.

You cannot mix paying for a membership with buying it with miles. I wanted to use miles for the membership but pay $50 for the new member fee. The SC agent said I couldn't do that; I just used miles for the whole thing.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 1:04 pm

Obviously there are dedicated endless threads devoted on the value of miles and no correct answer, but do most people who pay for the skyclub membership using miles believe that 60k miles is actually worth $400 (or whatever your rate may be) or is it more of a convenience/i need to use up miles anyway thing?

I guess I'm trying to decide whether to plunk 60K miles down for a membership or just pay $400 ($360 with the random 10% discounts floating around).

Again, i'm not expecting a right or wrong answer, but more just someone to talk some sense into my indecisiveness .
Old Aug 23, 2010, 1:17 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Obviously there are dedicated endless threads devoted on the value of miles and no correct answer, but do most people who pay for the skyclub membership using miles believe that 60k miles is actually worth $400 (or whatever your rate may be) or is it more of a convenience/i need to use up miles anyway thing?

I guess I'm trying to decide whether to plunk 60K miles down for a membership or just pay $400 ($360 with the random 10% discounts floating around).

Again, i'm not expecting a right or wrong answer, but more just someone to talk some sense into my indecisiveness .
In my case, as a PM, it was 50,000 miles. I decided to use the miles because I could afford to spend the miles more easily than the $350 dollars. I rarely buy award tickets because I need to fly the miles to keep my status. Anticipating a double RDMs trip to Europe and 20,000 miles from the Together We Fly promo, I knew I would quickly make up the miles I spent.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,

Why not just get the delta reserve am ex card? It's $450 a year and will get you in the skyclub and you get 10K MQM miles.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 2:38 pm

Programs: ABP, Mr. Mom without the kids, Signor Mucci, DL PM, HH & Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Carolina2Cali
Thanks again. 2 new questions...

Clearly yes, asking for $20 to enter is cheesy... thanks for showing me the seeking/sponsoring page. At this time, none of my seekings lined up with any sponsors, but perhaps I'll convert and SPONSOR my times and get a membership, or maybe if there's another seeker we'd chat and split? Who knows.

Leading to the other question... so if you don't have to be on that airline that day... do you guys recommend clubs other than Delta's? Are there other with many locations and hours that are quality? Which would you reccomend?

Do they have their own managed sticky to sponsor/share club access?
Post your needs when you know what they are as you can never tell when someone will follow with the opportunity to guest you.

You will have to check the respective forums to see if they have an associated thread or look for the Mod of that forum and ask.

Originally Posted by socrates
You took your sick spouse to B10??? Wow....that's grounds for a divorce and her taking everything!!
Old Aug 23, 2010, 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by jamesteroh
Why not just get the delta reserve am ex card? It's $450 a year and will get you in the skyclub and you get 10K MQM miles.
i thought about this, but poor planning has resulted in me wanted to start using the skyclub sooner than i can probably get the card in hand, and also more importantly, i'd like to use the club even when I'm flying other airlines.
Old Sep 7, 2010, 3:27 am

30 day sky club pass in AMS

After lurking on this great site for quite some time, I decided it was time to register and join the community. I've learned an awful lot just by reading these forums, but now I actually have a question. I searched for an answer before posting, but didn't find quite what I was looking for. Maybe someone can help.

I'll be travelling LUX-AMS-MSP-DCA in December, booked on KLM. Coming Back (IAD-AMS-LUX), I have an 8 hour layover in AMS, on January 1st, landing around 8am.

Given the day and time, I'm not too keen on going into the city during the layover. Since I'll be spending plenty of time in airports, I am considering buying the sky club 30 day pass. Now I'm fairly sure I can use it on the 1st of January. I'm wondering however, if it would be possible to purchase it online from Delta before I leave, and use the print-out in AMS on the way to MSP? or will they only accept an actual card purchased in the lounge (in MSP)?

Also, I'll be in NY next week. Is there any way to buy the 30 day pass in advance, so that I could buy it in the sky club, but not use it until my trip in December?

I'll be Skymiles Silver when I come of the plane in MSP, so no way to get into the Crown Lounge as Skyteam Elite+ etc.

Thanks.
Old Sep 7, 2010, 6:27 am

Programs: DL FO
Based on my experience in Paris (CDG): The printout works fine and is accepted, however you won't be allowed to bring guests.

Last edited by Kellanved; Sep 7, 2010 at 8:18 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.