Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

30-day Delta Sky Club Membership — No Longer Available: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

30-day Delta Sky Club Membership — No Longer Available: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2012, 7:03 pm

I actually used a printout of the 30 day pass at the CDG AF lounge with no problems.
Old May 10, 2012, 7:39 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by rsoxtim
I just ordered one for international travel next week (I'm Silver Elite, flying E+) but it says I can only get into the partner lounges with the actual pass they will mail me (in 4-6 weeks). They won't accept the paper pass I printed out?
I was worried about it, but had no trouble using the paper printout in two DJ (Virgin Australia domestic) lounges. Different airline, of course.
Old May 10, 2012, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Originally Posted by newsmanhoss
I actually used a printout of the 30 day pass at the CDG AF lounge with no problems.
Used a paper one in CDG, AMS and YUL with no issues whatsoever.
Old May 10, 2012, 7:56 pm

Programs: DL: Gold
Good to know, thanks!
Old May 11, 2012, 5:59 pm

Programs: NW Gold, '06. Good times.
I'm flying to NRT via ATL with my wife and young child in June and planning to get a 30-day pass shortly before we leave. I'll post the details here (and am posting now to remind myself to do so when the time comes).

I'm glad to find this thread.^
Old Jun 17, 2012, 5:50 pm

Questions on 30 day Sky Club Pass

Flying from Australia to the US (with a stopover in Fiji) in October and was looking at the Delta Sky Club pass to enable lounge access in US. Done some googling but have a few questions.

Our plans so far:

Syd-Nadi-LAX - Booked on Air Pacific
LAX to Atlanta
Atlanta to Fort Lauderdale - Booked on AirTran
Miami (or Fort Lauderdale) to Orlando
Orlando to Tampa
Tampa to Vegas
Vegas to LAX - Booked on Southwest
LAX-Nadi-Syd - Booked on Air Pacific

(none of the other flights booked yet)

We would be looking at domestic lounges at Atlanta, Fort Lauderdale, Orlando, Tampa and Vegas. International lounge at LAX and Nadi.

I found the Delta site with lounges listed but no idea if they are domestic and/or international?

There are 3 of us travelling (not related). Are we better with 1 pass (apparently you can guest 2 people in?) or each buying a pass?

Can we use the lounge if we fly with another airline?

Looks like they have an agreement with KLM and Air France? Can we use their international lounges in LAX?

I believe the pass if valid for 30 days from purchase so I assume we buy it (them) just before we leave. Can we collect the temporary card (I think you need this for partner lounges) at LAX?

Is there a better pass we should look at?

Thanks in advance for any replies.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 6:14 pm

Programs: Delta gm Spg gold hilton gold hyatt platinum hertz presidents avis presidential
Cant answer all the questions, just buy 1 pass and guest the other 2 in, and buy the card right before you leave, but make sure you get the temporary card from a sky club (any will do) so you can use the international lounges. I don't know if you can use the international lounge in lax, though. Also, no, if your flying air tran, you can't use the delta lounge.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by mendel k
Also, no, if your flying air tran, you can't use the delta lounge.
Why not? From http://www.delta.com/traveling_check...ions/index.jsp

Members can only use the Club in conjunction with same-day ticketed air travel but such travel may be on any airline.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by yarrowfell
Why not? From http://www.delta.com/traveling_check...ions/index.jsp

Members can only use the Club in conjunction with same-day ticketed air travel but such travel may be on any airline.
The rule you cite is for full-year memberships. Use of the 30-day pass requires travel on DL or a partner airline.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 8:08 pm

Flying from Australia to the US (with a stopover in Fiji) in October and was looking at the Delta Sky Club pass to enable lounge access in US. Done some googling but have a few questions.

Our plans so far:

Syd-Nadi-LAX - Booked on Air Pacific
LAX to Atlanta
Atlanta to Fort Lauderdale - Booked on AirTran
Miami (or Fort Lauderdale) to Orlando
Orlando to Tampa
Tampa to Vegas
Vegas to LAX - Booked on Southwest
LAX-Nadi-Syd - Booked on Air Pacific

(none of the other flights booked yet)

We would be looking at domestic lounges at Atlanta, Fort Lauderdale, Orlando, Tampa and Vegas. International lounge at LAX and Nadi.

I found the Delta site with lounges listed but no idea if they are domestic and/or international?

There are 3 of us travelling (not related). Are we better with 1 pass (apparently you can guest 2 people in?) or each buying a pass?

Can we use the lounge if we fly with another airline?

Looks like they have an agreement with KLM and Air France? Can we use their international lounges in LAX?

I believe the pass if valid for 30 days from purchase so I assume we buy it (them) just before we leave. Can we collect the temporary card (I think you need this for partner lounges) at LAX?

Is there a better pass we should look at?

Thanks in advance for any replies.
First, make sure you distinguish "pass" from "30-day membership." Generally, the term "pass" is used to refer to one-day visit or one-time visit passes, which is not what you're looking for.

Next, yes, you are better with one membership, assuming the three of you are always travelling together. If one of you gets separated and you only have one membership, that person is out of luck.

Yes, you may use the lounge regardless of the carrier you're traveling on. I have used DL lounges multiple times while traveling on other carriers.

A point to clarify: what do you mean when you say "domestic and/or international?"

Regarding the partner lounges, yes, a 30-day membership gets you into all the lounges listed on this site (but make sure you have the right membership option selected in the dropdown box!).

However, one big thing to note at LAX is that most of DL's partner lounges are in terminals that DL does not operate from. I'm guessing that Air Pacific operates out of the Tom Brady International Terminal, which has no DL operations or partner lounges. Just be aware of that. I don't think that will be an issue at any of the other airports you're transiting.

Safe travels!
Old Jun 17, 2012, 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by newsmanhoss
The rule you cite is for full-year memberships. Use of the 30-day pass requires travel on DL or a partner airline.
Where do you see that rule? From the website:

30-Day Membership
Membership is valid for 30 consecutive days from the date of purchase.
The cost of a 30-Day Membership may be credited within 60 days of expiration toward the cost of an annual or three-year* membership.
The 30-Day membership grants access to all to Delta Sky Club locations, Virgin Australia Lounges and Alaska Board Rooms as well as select Air France and KLM operated lounges with the use of the temporary membership card. (At partner lounges, guest access is subject to the policies of each lounge partner. Delta Sky Club cannot guarantee guest entry at partner lounge locations.)
A temporary membership card will be issued at the time of purchase. You must present this temporary membership card and a government issued ID for access to an international Delta Sky Club location and select partner lounges. If purchasing online, this temporary membership card printout will not grant access to partner lounges, only to Delta Sky Club locations. Partner lounges require actual temporary membership cards, which may be obtained from any Delta Sky Club location.
*To take advantage of this offer, the annual or three-year membership must be purchased in person at any Delta Sky Club location. This offer is not available for purchase online. This offer is not retroactive and cannot be combined with any other offer, promotion, discount or frequent flyer program Award.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 10:05 pm

Originally Posted by cmn.jcs
First, make sure you distinguish "pass" from "30-day membership." Generally, the term "pass" is used to refer to one-day visit or one-time visit passes, which is not what you're looking for.
Correct - I was talking about the 30 day membership.

Next, yes, you are better with one membership, assuming the three of you are always travelling together. If one of you gets separated and you only have one membership, that person is out of luck.
That's not a big issue - we will be together (or close) at all time while in the US.

Yes, you may use the lounge regardless of the carrier you're traveling on. I have used DL lounges multiple times while traveling on other carriers.
Excellent - thanks.

A point to clarify: what do you mean when you say "domestic and/or international?"
In Australia we have domestic terminals (for local travel within Australia) and international terminals (for going overseas, need a passport etc..). If you are travelling domestically you cannot access the lounges in the international terminal as they are after customs / passport control etc..

I think all the places we are going are domestic and international airports so I wasn't sure we could access the lounges in only flying domestically within the US from that airport.

Regarding the partner lounges, yes, a 30-day membership gets you into all the lounges listed on this site (but make sure you have the right membership option selected in the dropdown box!).
Thanks.

However, one big thing to note at LAX is that most of DL's partner lounges are in terminals that DL does not operate from. I'm guessing that Air Pacific operates out of the Tom Brady International Terminal, which has no DL operations or partner lounges. Just be aware of that. I don't think that will be an issue at any of the other airports you're transiting.
Can you transit between terminals at LAX easily? We fly into LAX (from Vegas) at 1.30pm and fly out to Nadi on Air Pacific at 11.30pm so have plenty of time. Would love to visit the Air France lounge.

Safe travels!
Thanks!!
Old Jun 18, 2012, 12:39 am

Ah, now I understand your question about international versus domestic. The way airports operate in the US is a given airline's operations are usually concentrated in the same terminal or same couple terminals, regardless of international or domestic destinations. At LAX, DL arrives and departs from T5 and T6. The only exception to this case is when international arrivals go to one terminal, and then the aircraft is towed to a gate in the airline's terminal(s) to load for departure. I think LAX might be a case of this, but I'm not entirely sure. I know this is the situation in ORD, where all international arrivals go to T5 and unload, and then go to their respective airlines' terminals to depart. I believe this is usually due to customs and immigration facilities not being available in all terminals.

Anyway, to get back to your question, you should just review the location of the clubs at the airports you'll be transiting. At LAX, you'll only have access to the DL lounge, and that's only when you're in the T5/T6 complex. Unfortunately, LAX is not well set up for airside terminal changes, so you won't be able to access the DL lounge on departure. I suggest looking over terminal maps, and if you have any more questions, I'm happy to explain as best I can.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 1:27 am

Flying from Australia to the US (with a stopover in Fiji) in October and was looking at the Delta Sky Club pass to enable lounge access in US.
I did a 30 day pass for a trip from Australia to the US a few months ago and was happy with it; even better deal for three travelers!

I tried to collect the temporary card at an LGA lounge, but the lounge agent didn't know what I was talking about; she didn't seem very familiar with 30 day memberships. However, the printed temporary card was sufficient to access the Virgin Australia (DJ) domestic lounges, despite the wording on the printout that said otherwise. (If you haven't noted this already, the 30 day Delta membership is valid in DJ lounges in conjunction with a DJ flight, which is a nice side benefit if you have any domestic trips in the 30 day period.) You may only get one guest in DJ lounges; not sure about that.

I would be sure to save the temporary card as a PDF when you purchase the card, as you won't have another (easy) opportunity to do so.

In Australia we have domestic terminals (for local travel within Australia) and international terminals (for going overseas, need a passport etc..). If you are travelling domestically you cannot access the lounges in the international terminal as they are after customs / passport control etc..
As others have said, there's no exit customs in the US, so domestic and international departures are all mixed in the same terminals. LAX is unusual in that it does have a terminal (TBIT) which is mostly (entirely?) used for international flights. However, some international flights depart out of other terminals at LAX and there's nothing different procedure-wise about security or anything else at TBIT than any other LAX terminal. TBIT is something of a zoo, and the behind-security amenities are nearly non-existant.

Can you transit between terminals at LAX easily? We fly into LAX (from Vegas) at 1.30pm and fly out to Nadi on Air Pacific at 11.30pm so have plenty of time. Would love to visit the Air France lounge.
Not only can you not transit between terminals at LAX easily, you can't enter a terminal at all if you don't have a boarding pass for that terminal. So, given that you're arriving on Southwest, you won't be able to easily access either the Delta lounge (T5) or the Air France terminal (T2), as you don't have a flight out of T2 or T5. A Sky Club membership doesn't get you into any TBIT (the terminal Air Pacific flies out of) lounges.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 1:33 am

The only exception to this case is when international arrivals go to one terminal, and then the aircraft is towed to a gate in the airline's terminal(s) to load for departure. I think LAX might be a case of this, but I'm not entirely sure.
LAX has customs facilities at several, but not all, terminals. However, not all customs facilities are open for all arriving flights, so some arriving international flights do arrive at TBIT and the plane gets towed to another terminal for departure. For example, Virgin Australia flights arrive at T5 and clear customs there (convenient for connections to Delta) but then get towed to T3 for departure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.