Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Sign in using an external account

Old Nov 6, 09, 9:29 am   #1

Programs: UA 1K MM
Question Delta early baggage checkin

What is the earliest you can check a bag for a flight? 4 hours before, 6 hours before, etc?
amartin1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 09, 3:00 pm   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by amartin1979 View Post
What is the earliest you can check a bag for a flight? 4 hours before, 6 hours before, etc?
Technically, the new rule as of this summer is that you can check in and get a boarding pass up to 24 hours in advance, and you are allowed to check a bag beginning at midnight day of departure. This contrasts to the existing policy, which only allowed this if there was an IROP indicator on the PNR.

Alas, most ticket counters aren't open 24 hours.
iTanNicNic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 09, 3:08 pm   #3

Programs: FB Gold, MR Platinum (for Life), DL, UA Premier, BA Bronze, HH Gold, A3 Blue (*Silver)
In addition, it will very much depend on the location.

In Sydney for example, I doubt that the DL counter opens much more than 3 hours before the SYD-LAX flight, as there are no other DL flights. On the other hand, in ATL, I'm pretty sure that you will find a place to drop your bags from early (5 am or earlier) until close to the last flight of the day.

Cheers,

GenevaFlyer
Old Jun 23, 11, 1:19 am   #4
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL KM, HH Diamond, IC Amb, Hyatt Diamond, NA EE
Bump, any recent experience?
mnredfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 11, 7:32 am   #5

Programs: Delta Diamond Charter Member/ Sky Club, UA Gold/ United Club
As early as they will let you. For example I've been on AF flights from Africa that preferred checked bags be dropped off up to 24hrs in advance of departure. It wasn't a problem.
DeltaFirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 11, 6:55 pm   #6

Programs: DL Gold Medallion
What about domestically, say at LGA? Can I check bags early and wander city for eight hours?
BostonGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 11, 9:12 pm   #7

Programs: Delta Skymiles DM, Hilton Honors Diamond
early baggage check in

I checked my bags 6 hours early once, when I got to my destination, I waited and waited for my luggage to come out on the luggage belt. Never came out. I went to the Delta baggage office there in baggae claim, and there I saw my luggage sitting there chained to a column. Evidently, they put my luggage on an earlier flight, so it did make it there, but would have been nice if they told me they sent it ahead so I did not stand there for 30 plus minutes waiting for it to come out when it was already there.
craig44485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 11, 9:27 pm   #8

Programs: DL GM
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig44485 View Post
I checked my bags 6 hours early once, when I got to my destination, I waited and waited for my luggage to come out on the luggage belt. Never came out. I went to the Delta baggage office there in baggae claim, and there I saw my luggage sitting there chained to a column. Evidently, they put my luggage on an earlier flight, so it did make it there, but would have been nice if they told me they sent it ahead so I did not stand there for 30 plus minutes waiting for it to come out when it was already there.
With the new baggage kiosks that are popping up in Baggage claims (I saw them at MCO, DTW and I *think* LGA) you'll be able to scan your bag tag to see the status, preventing the 30 minute wait
Old Aug 25, 11, 12:35 pm   #9

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, BW Diamond
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfwolfs View Post
With the new baggage kiosks that are popping up in Baggage claims (I saw them at MCO, DTW and I *think* LGA) you'll be able to scan your bag tag to see the status, preventing the 30 minute wait
It would be nice if they put the kiosks in the SC's.
jamesteroh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 12, 10:34 am   #10

Programs: Active: AA, UA, DL
Just did it this morning. I dropped of a bag a little over 12 hours prior to departure! (I then went to work.)

Last edited by Wiirachay; Apr 12, 12 at 8:23 am..
Wiirachay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 12, 7:45 pm   #11

Programs: DL DM/MM, AA EXP
Overnight?

Any recent experience trying to check in bags the night before an early domestic flight out of ATL?
Erasmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 12, 9:46 pm   #12
TalkBoard Member, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If we take the midnight day of departure rule literally, it could prevent any luggage check on certain redeyes while allowing evening before bag drop at stations that have post-midnight redeye departures.
MSPeconomist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 12, 8:02 am   #13

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Gold
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig44485 View Post
Did you try the delta app? I thought you could use it to monitor the location of your luggage.
spamkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 12, 9:33 am   #14

Programs: OKplus
I guess that there is also difference between domestic and international departures
outlier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 12, 9:42 am   #15

Programs: DL PM, SPG Plat, National EC Exec
Quote:
Originally Posted by spamkiller View Post
Did you try the delta app? I thought you could use it to monitor the location of your luggage.
When he wrote that post, on Aug 17, 11, 4:12 am, it wasn't available... 3 months later however, it launched in November 2011
doubleA is offline   Reply With Quote