Delta early baggage checkin

Old Jul 5, 2012, 9:54 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by doubleA
When he wrote that post, on Aug 17, 11, 4:12 am, it wasn't available... 3 months later however, it launched in November 2011
And the online tracking thing still has a ways to go. One of my bags is still listed as having been planeside scanned in OMA well over a week ago and nothing beyond that, despite having flown OMA-MSP-IAD-CDG-LHR, at which point I collected it. It does make me wonder if you could try to use their tracking system as "evidence" to file lost bag claims even when you've retrieved your bag.
Old Jul 6, 2012, 8:33 am

Programs: Skymiles, Miles&More, Executive Club
Somebody has an experience how early one can check-in at the new International terminal in ATL? Going with Delta but the flight is operated by Air France
Old Jul 17, 2012, 6:13 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus 1K MM, IHG Plat, Accor Plat, Marriott Plat
Also curious about experiences at SFO for Int'l. (NRT).
Old Jul 17, 2012, 6:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by outlier
Somebody has an experience how early one can check-in at the new International terminal in ATL? Going with Delta but the flight is operated by Air France
If your first segment is operated by AF (AF metal), you would check in with them if they maintain a separate counter, otherwise with DL. Either way, AF rules on early check in and early bag drop *should* apply.
Old Aug 25, 2012, 5:32 am

Programs: Skymiles, Miles&More, Executive Club
Yeah, that's a thery. But some real experience? I guess it differs airport to airport.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 2:19 pm

Programs: AS: 75K; DL/NW: Plat; DL SC: Lifetime; Hyatt: Diamond; HH: Gold; SPG: Plat;
Anybody have experience at DTW? Can I check a bag for a morning flight the night before?
Would be handy, as I'll be staying at the Westin. If I can drop off the bag the night before, I can go through the security at the Westin (which I'm aware does not open till around 7AM).

Thanks,
Bostonbali
Old Feb 12, 2014, 7:01 pm

Programs: DL PM, DL MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG
I have a 1:20am departure from LIM. Would anyone know how early we could check bags?
Old Sep 15, 2016, 9:43 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond
How strict are they about that 6 hours before flight for checking baggage at Delta JFK. Will be flying Delta One JFK-LAX so not sure if allowed for extra flexibility in checking luggage early. I am heading into Manhattan for a few hours prior to my flight and wanted to drop them of at the airport rather than going back to my JFK hotel prior to leaving.
Old Sep 15, 2016, 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by Miesque
How strict are they about that 6 hours before flight for checking baggage at Delta JFK. Will be flying Delta One JFK-LAX so not sure if allowed for extra flexibility in checking luggage early. I am heading into Manhattan for a few hours prior to my flight and wanted to drop them of at the airport rather than going back to my JFK hotel prior to leaving.
Idk about JFK, but an airline employee who is told that the passenger intends to leave the airport is supposed to refuse to accept baggage for that passenger until the passenger is ready to stay at the airport, for security reasons mandated by TSA.
Old Sep 15, 2016, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Widgets
Idk about JFK, but an airline employee who is told that the passenger intends to leave the airport is supposed to refuse to accept baggage for that passenger until the passenger is ready to stay at the airport, for security reasons mandated by TSA.
Never had a problem before. They only restrictions I've been told is you must checkin at same time. No checking bags and then coming back to actually checkin for flight/get BP.

As long as checkin is open and it's less then 12hrs to departure I've never had an issue at JFK with bags and leaving.
Old Sep 15, 2016, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Silly rules.

So, to understand this, it only applies if the passenger tells the agent. If they say nothing, or even lie saying they are staying at the airport - then all is fine.

LOL!
Old Sep 15, 2016, 1:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
A couple times I've been nervous about checking a bag and then heading for the door to go back to my car, for instance to move it to a better or legal spot when I've been close to missing the bag drop deadline.
Old Sep 15, 2016, 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by NoStressHere
Silly rules.

So, to understand this, it only applies if the passenger tells the agent. If they say nothing, or even lie saying they are staying at the airport - then all is fine.

LOL!
Exactly.
Old Sep 15, 2016, 9:56 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Prior to the merger I did a IAD-LAX FC flight on American (which at least at the time had much more liberal time regarding baggage checking) and I said something to the effect I was checking in and going to a meeting and as she took my bag, she shook her head and said "You're not supposed to say that" and I have remembered that ever since.
Old Sep 16, 2016, 1:09 am

Originally Posted by Miesque
Prior to the merger I did a IAD-LAX FC flight on American (which at least at the time had much more liberal time regarding baggage checking) and I said something to the effect I was checking in and going to a meeting and as she took my bag, she shook her head and said "You're not supposed to say that" and I have remembered that ever since.
Haha, yeah I tell them I can't take their bag unless they tell me they've changed their mind and they plan on staying in the airport. So far, 100% have taken the hint.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.