Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Certain look required for first class?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2009, 12:53 pm

Programs: DL Million Miler, Skymiles GM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by B7e7US
I responded "Thanks for your continuous support, I'm glad as a silver medallion flying first class today I have a reserved line".
Even the SM folks are copping some 'tude.

I dont care how someone dresses or looks in the F cabin, as long as they are clean and dont stink. Which reminds me, do your fellow passengers a favor and have the courtesy of wearing clean socks if you want to take your shoes off.

For all you barefooters and sandal people, your dogs arent as fresh as you think they are.
Old Nov 2, 2009, 1:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Plat
So now that I have been sitting on this flight 1961 for the past hour or so, I decided I'll send Delta a note but not sure how to word it.

Any suggestions?
Old Nov 2, 2009, 1:03 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA EXP
Flying Casual in First

I started a thread like this one about a week or two ago, and it was moved...so, I'm glad this one was started in the DL thread.

I'm a younger guy who works in the snowboard industry and travels a decent amount, especially through the winter months. I'm currently Gold and will hit Plat after my November travels to Europe.

I recently finished an SLC-JFK-LAX-SLC trip and was upgraded on each segment, which was great. But, flying JFK-LAX in casual attire (t-shirt and jeans) with the new Biz Elite service on this route, I felt like I was a second thought in the BE cabin. I was asked last for drinks, didn't get the BE linen like everyone else during meal service and just felt like since I'm a younger passenger that I was not getting equal service.

I don't really care all that much about special linen, but I do feel like service should be the same across the board for all passengers.

Just some thoughts from my end of the spectrum.
Old Nov 2, 2009, 1:04 pm

Programs: AA - PP
Originally Posted by jeff30189
Even the SM folks are copping some 'tude.

I dont care how someone dresses or looks in the F cabin, as long as they are clean and dont stink. Which reminds me, do your fellow passengers a favor and have the courtesy of wearing clean socks if you want to take your shoes off.

For all you barefooters and sandal people, your dogs arent as fresh as you think they are.
Not only that, but if you have need of chemical warfare, for crying out loud, get up and go to the john! Flying DCA to MEM a couple weeks back and was standing in the back to stretch out when lead FA came rushing back and digging around for a coffee pack, which she immediately opened and pressed against her nose. After chatting, found out someone had "dropped a bomb". I stayed back there for a good 20 minutes before heading back to my seat, but even that much longer when I got close to my row (was in exit) it was like walking into a wall.
Old Nov 2, 2009, 1:05 pm

Programs: AA - PP
Originally Posted by HWGeeks
So now that I have been sitting on this flight 1961 for the past hour or so, I decided I'll send Delta a note but not sure how to word it.

Any suggestions?
I'd say pretty much exactly like your OP. Just the location, situation (including your attire), and the comments made by employee.
Old Nov 2, 2009, 1:14 pm
Original Poster

@ridepow I know how you feel. I am 28 but I look young cops where I live in NYC stop me all the time and ask me why am I not in school, I get carded everywhere too.

I have gone to a best buy or a car dealership ready to drop big money so to speak and I'm ignored because they think I am a kid.

That's why I have taught myself to treat everyone young or youngness deprived ( don't wnat to offend old folk) equally.

I'm a email delta now and I'll let you all know what they reply.
Old Nov 2, 2009, 1:31 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
I always wear jeans and tshirt when flying (and I look really young for my age). I was never bothered by GA.
Old Nov 2, 2009, 1:38 pm
Original Poster

Just shot delta an email, said what my op said plus I asked them. What does a first class and medallion member look like?
Old Nov 2, 2009, 1:40 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA EXP
Originally Posted by HWGeeks
@ridepow I know how you feel. I am 28 but I look young cops where I live in NYC stop me all the time and ask me why am I not in school, I get carded everywhere too.

I have gone to a best buy or a car dealership ready to drop big money so to speak and I'm ignored because they think I am a kid.

That's why I have taught myself to treat everyone young or youngness deprived ( don't wnat to offend old folk) equally.

I'm a email delta now and I'll let you all know what they reply.
I totally know where you're coming from. I'm 26 and consider myself very lucky to be doing what I do for a living. I travel a bunch and I consider myself to be very loyal to Delta. I'll spend a little more on a Delta ticket due to the perks like comp upgrades. I just feel like it's super lame for an FA to jump to conclusions just because I don't look like a "seasoned" businessman.
Old Nov 2, 2009, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Another one of these threads, exciting. I'm under 30 and very frequently get discriminated for looking young and dressing comfortable (sorry I don't want my suit absorbing all of the crap and smells on airplanes).

1. Security line - "this is for first class only"
2. Boarding - people give me the look when I try to pass them while they hoard the gate waiting for the elite call. I've even had the dirty look with the "sit down, it's not your turn yet".
3. GA's - before the monitors I used to ask about the UG list, they would say to me, "sorry, we don't give UG's for free"
4. When Y pax board - I get the dirty look number two from pax who think I'm too young as I sit in F
5. GE's are IMHO the worst. They are no longer SE's, but not quite PE's (PE wannabees), and feel like they are finally someone. I've had 3 GE's in the past year talk me down (I saw their bag tags) and tell me that they are a "gold elite" so I should sit down and wait my turn. One even said, "only first class is boarding and since I'm not in first you certainly are NOT." I didn't have the heart to tell him I was a PE as I quietly boarded for my F seat.

#2 by far is the worst, especially the biz gate lice in suits working their crackberries and bluetooths blocking access to the boarding lane. They are already mad that they didn't get an F seat, then give me another dirty look (see #4 above) when they see me in F.

See young and elite threads from NWA, or gate lice threads:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/north...ung-elite.html
Old Nov 2, 2009, 4:35 pm

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by mnredfox
Another one of these threads, exciting. I'm under 30 and very frequently get discriminated for looking young and dressing comfortable (sorry I don't want my suit absorbing all of the crap and smells on airplanes).

1. Security line - "this is for first class only"
2. Boarding - people give me the look when I try to pass them while they hoard the gate waiting for the elite call. I've even had the dirty look with the "sit down, it's not your turn yet".
3. GA's - before the monitors I used to ask about the UG list, they would say to me, "sorry, we don't give UG's for free"
4. When Y pax board - I get the dirty look number two from pax who think I'm too young as I sit in F
5. GE's are IMHO the worst. They are no longer SE's, but not quite PE's (PE wannabees), and feel like they are finally someone. I've had 3 GE's in the past year talk me down (I saw their bag tags) and tell me that they are a "gold elite" so I should sit down and wait my turn. One even said, "only first class is boarding and since I'm not in first you certainly are NOT." I didn't have the heart to tell him I was a PE as I quietly boarded for my F seat.

#2 by far is the worst, especially the biz gate lice in suits working their crackberries and bluetooths blocking access to the boarding lane. They are already mad that they didn't get an F seat, then give me another dirty look (see #4 above) when they see me in F.

See young and elite threads from NWA, or gate lice threads:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/north...ung-elite.html
Hey don't bash Gold Medallions! I am one and I don't have that kind of attitude.
Old Nov 2, 2009, 5:16 pm

Programs: Mile-High Club, Marriott Plt, SPG P-75, PC Plt, Hyatt Dia, Carlson Gold, BW Dia
Originally Posted by OlderGeek
Once upon a time, flying was a treat. I would always wear a jacket and a good shoes. I usually got a hot meal - even in coach.

Now, in 2009, flying is no longer a pleasure and being Platinum on a few airlines, and usually being upgraded, merely makes it tolerable. Gone is the jacket and nice shoes - since I have to take shoes off anyway, sneakers or casual shoes are the order of the day.
It's this sort of attitude that creates a positive feedback loop further degenerating all aspects of civil society. Think of it as a "tragedy of the anticommons." The golden olden days may be long gone, when F pax were in suits and dresses and the FAs were Audrey Hepburn look-alikes, but we still have the ability to "class up the joint" a bit by looking and behaving civilized.

I make it a point to wear a sportcoat and look smart when flying. I fly 100% for pleasure, never business, so I do this out of respect for myself and those around me.

I also believe it gives you a definite advantage when op-ups are a possibility, so I'm not totally altruistic!
Old Nov 2, 2009, 5:28 pm

Programs: DL PM; US Silver;Mariott+SPG+Hyatt Gold; Hertz 5*; National Car Emerald; Avis Preferred
I am always in jeans and a long sleeved shirt. While there are times I've got my suit on still, its rare since I started going to SkyClubs.

I don't really care what the GA thinks to be honest. I go in and if they give me a hard time, so what? I'm almost always the youngest person in F by far (unless infants are in F), but i often fly the same route for 6-9 months at a time and end up seeing the same GA's after a while. They are usually nicer the third or fourth time around, but still... it does happen. But I just shrug my shoulders and move on.

If it ever gets bad, I guess I can move on elsewhere, but to date, its never bothered me too much. More often than not, the GA's are friendly enough and don't give me a hard time.
Old Nov 2, 2009, 6:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jeff30189
Sorry. I blame the TSA.
Old Nov 2, 2009, 6:28 pm

Programs: DL PM, Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, AA Gold
im of the opinion that you should look presentable regardless of where you are, so i generally wear at least nice jeans and a polo when i fly. im generally appalled at how people dress in public anywhere (see peopleofwalmart.com), but especially when you are going to be crammed together in a metal tube.

im not saying it's right to assume someone is or is not in F because of appearance, but im not surprised that it's a question. we have all seen people with zone 5 try to board with zone 1, so why wouldnt these same people try to check in at the shorter line (for F)?

sorry if you felt singled out, that's not cool... but my hunch is that some of the people who have posted here would be .....ing if a "slovelnly" passenger wasn't booted from the F line if s/he didnt belong there

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.