Wiki Posts
Search

converting Sky Miles to One Pass

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2009, 11:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA 2MM NW Plat Elite
converting Sky Miles to One Pass

Today in Atlanta, my wife saw a brochure in the Delta lounge asking One Pass members if they wanted to convert their status over to Sky Miles and retain all miles and all status converted to Sky Miles. We are both Platinum on NW (now Sky Miles) and would be very interested in a reverse of this since we live in both Shanghai and Cleveland and CO/Star Alliance would be agood fit. We are new to this kind of thing. We have written to CO to ask if it is possible to convert NW/Delta miles and status to One Pass/ Star Alliance, but have not heard back yet. Has anyone heard of such a thing? Or, is there an easy way to do this?
Old Oct 4, 2009, 6:51 am

Programs: DL ♦M MM|HH♦|Marr Slvr|CO UA AA US|Pri Cub Plat|SPG|Avis 1st|Htz 5*
Originally Posted by Shanghaied
Today in Atlanta, my wife saw a brochure in the Delta lounge asking One Pass members if they wanted to convert their status over to Sky Miles and retain all miles and all status converted to Sky Miles. We are both Platinum on NW (now Sky Miles) and would be very interested in a reverse of this since we live in both Shanghai and Cleveland and CO/Star Alliance would be agood fit. We are new to this kind of thing. We have written to CO to ask if it is possible to convert NW/Delta miles and status to One Pass/ Star Alliance, but have not heard back yet. Has anyone heard of such a thing? Or, is there an easy way to do this?
So you are saying that Delta is offering to convert OnePass mileage balances over to SkyMiles? Never heard of this ever by any airline. If you get a chance, could you take the brochure you mentioned and quote the offer word for word for those who are not flying in the next few days or weeks?

"Converting status" has been known as a "status match". CO and DL do this regularly but one would not be exchanging their status from one to another. One would still retain the current status as the source airline while enjoying the matched status at the destination airline.

Converting miles from one airline to another is not possible unless one goes through points.com or some other program (Airline A > Hotel A > Airline B). But this usually results in such a loss of value that it is rarely recommended. If DL is offering to convert OnePass miles to SkyMiles then I would think CO would have to be in agreement on this since CO owns all the OP miles they give out. Perhaps DL was offering to match elite miles from CO ? ? ?
Old Oct 4, 2009, 8:46 am
Original Poster

It is possible that she got this wrong and we won't be heading back through Atlanta to be able to verify this. From what you are saying, it doesn't look possible. We will be in DTW tomorrow and will check the lounge there for this brochure.
Old Oct 4, 2009, 9:26 am

Programs: DL ♦M MM|HH♦|Marr Slvr|CO UA AA US|Pri Cub Plat|SPG|Avis 1st|Htz 5*
Perhaps if she can't find the same brochure someone else on FT will pick one up at ATL and quote from it. I am aware that CO is offering SkyClub members access to the lounge through the end of the year IIRC. Perhaps DL is making an offer to PC members in hoping to get their business. It's doubtful that either one is offering to match redeemable miles (DL doesn't allow any transfers out of SkyMiles for anything.. hotels, AMEX MR points, etc). But Oct 1 saw some big changes so it is possible DL is going to extremes to lure CO customers as the Oct 24 separation date from SkyTeam is coming closer and closer. I am sure many on this board and the CO board would be interested in such an offer if it exists. Thanks for having her follow up on this at DTW.
Old Oct 4, 2009, 9:51 am

Please let me know what you find out. I would be VERY HAPPY to convert my current RDM & MM levels to CO... I'm sure that some others here would be VERY happy to do so as well.

(that could be because I'm sitting on 1.1M+ skymiles at the moment).
Old Oct 7, 2009, 4:46 pm
Original Poster

We were in DTW and did not see the brochure so i am pretty sure it did not exist in ATL either. Sorry for any excitement caused. Seems one can only get matched status with no miles transfer.
Old Oct 7, 2009, 6:30 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
She has it wrong. Delta will match status but not miles. It's not a brochure either, it's a tri-fold card the size of a business card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.