Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Havana, Cuba: best hotel?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2014, 4:01 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Unfortunately, that is all true, due to the embargo / OFAC / "el bloqueo". US-issued credit cards are not accepted anywhere in Cuba for any reason; one can not earn (or spend) points or miles in US-based schemes (or if your account uses a US residential address) for any travel in, to or from Cuba.

With currency-related issues, as the US Dollar is not accepted and there is a significant surcharge for exchanging US Dollars to CUCs, it's a very good idea to take Euros for your cash expenses (in my experience) - and I have heard Canadian Dollars are nearly as acceptable.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 8:50 am

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
Originally Posted by JDiver
T Cuban hotels are a bit like a property ultimately run by Basil Fawlty - something will go wrong; the probability increases as the price gets lower and the lesser the hotel category
Excellent description, and very true ^

I stayed at the Habana Libre twice, once prepaid using Melia Rewards points and once on a prepaid revenue stay that included breakfast and dinner. As is to be expected in Cuba, absolutely nothing worked quite as it should. Elevators had a mind of their own and exposed wiring, room doors had broken locks, breakfast was included but the staff kept insisting on seeing a voucher which reception kept insisting I did not need (cue 45 minutes of arguing back and forth between two floors) and the water seemed to come on and off depending on the hour of the day. On both occasions the front desk tried to charge me for the stay, refusing to accept any evidence that it was prepaid. Oh, and the cleaning staff "liberated" anything that was not locked in the safe, including my personal toiletries, a book and a bottle of water. All these things I had expected, indeed is part of the Cuba experience.

On the other hand, the brand new Melia Varadero Marina was delightful. Staff were exceptionally pleasant, helpful, the whole property was safe and welcoming, all rates were all-inclusive but cheap, and the quality of the food was surprisingly good. No hassles whatsoever. I thoroughly recommend it.
Old Feb 15, 2014, 9:01 pm

Thanks, ajamieson, for the update!

IME, Meliá always tries to do a good job. The problems may come when things break down and they need to get scarce parts (imported from Europe), and the Varadero is newer, therefore (one hopes) fewer things breaking down and better employee orientation about customer orientation.
Old Feb 17, 2014, 9:58 am

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
Agreed. The other benefit of the all-inclusive property is that it eliminates the need for transactions.

Each transaction at the Habana Libre took at least 45 minutes and seemed destined to end in frustration. For example, the room safe key did not work, so I returned to the front desk where they told me I would need to bay $2 in cash in order to get the key validated. (Genuine fee or a scam? I have no idea.) Inevitably, the key still did not work. When I returned to the front desk a second time, the same worker insisted we had never met and I would need to pay another $2. On the second day, the key stopped working again. "Ah, the charge is per day. You need to pay another $2". Repeat this for every interaction with every hotel employee, every day and it becomes very time-consuming and tiresome.
Old Feb 17, 2014, 7:26 pm

What a PITA! And definitely not in keeping with the "Libre" part of the name...

As it's illegal to use US dollars in Cuba, I take Euros - no 15% fees and smoother transactions at the desks for payment. And as I don't like being scammed, I always ask "por favor, deme un recibo" (Please give me a receipt") - that can often result in a "we'll forgive it this time". (I may use a terrible accent with a cop in Mexico, say, so it comes out "oon ray-SEE-bow, pour fav-ore?".)

Originally Posted by ajamieson
Agreed. The other benefit of the all-inclusive property is that it eliminates the need for transactions.

Each transaction at the Habana Libre took at least 45 minutes and seemed destined to end in frustration. For example, the room safe key did not work, so I returned to the front desk where they told me I would need to bay $2 in cash in order to get the key validated. (Genuine fee or a scam? I have no idea.) Inevitably, the key still did not work. When I returned to the front desk a second time, the same worker insisted we had never met and I would need to pay another $2. On the second day, the key stopped working again. "Ah, the charge is per day. You need to pay another $2". Repeat this for every interaction with every hotel employee, every day and it becomes very time-consuming and tiresome.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 9:53 am

Programs: UA, NW
When my group went to Cuba, we stayed in a convent (Hostal Santa Brigida), but our guide took us to the Hotel Nacional for drinks in the garden.

The most fun part was seeing the pictures on the wall of all the celebrities who had stayed there. From the 1930s-1950s, it was just about anyone you'd ever heard of, but starting in the 1960s, there were only pictures of European and Latin American celebrities.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 6:14 pm

Yeah, even the Mafiosi avoided Cuba after all their losses. (Don't forget, some of the "famous people" in the photos were brought there by the mob owners to entertain (them or on property).

How was the Hostal Santa Brígida?

Originally Posted by ksandness
When my group went to Cuba, we stayed in a convent (Hostal Santa Brigida), but our guide took us to the Hotel Nacional for drinks in the garden.

The most fun part was seeing the pictures on the wall of all the celebrities who had stayed there. From the 1930s-1950s, it was just about anyone you'd ever heard of, but starting in the 1960s, there were only pictures of European and Latin American celebrities.
Old Jun 1, 2014, 9:39 pm
kpc

Programs: QF Plat, VA Gold, HH Diam, PC Plat, SPG Gold
http://www.iberostar.com/en/hotels/l...parque-central
Stayed here 3 weeks ago for 5 nights on my first visit to Havana. Made life easy especially with the onsite money exchange. Central to all the touristy things, with helpful concierge desk Alot of tour groups stay here so the foyer is always busy!
Old Jun 2, 2014, 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by kpc
Stayed here 3 weeks ago for 5 nights on my first visit to Havana. Made life easy especially with the onsite money exchange. Central to all the touristy things, with helpful concierge desk Alot of tour groups stay here so the foyer is always busy!
Nice place! Great location, the rooftop pool bar / restaurant / music is great for the evening...
Old Jun 22, 2014, 8:47 am

Programs: Hyatt Platinum, IHG Platinum, Aadvantage Platinum
Originally Posted by JDiver
Nice place! Great location, the rooftop pool bar / restaurant / music is great for the evening...
JDiver do you know if there's a way to book Parque Central through a reliable agency? I've heard one must be ready to be moved to another hotel if it's a package kind of deal and it's busy season and things get overbooked.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 11:03 pm
kpc

Programs: QF Plat, VA Gold, HH Diam, PC Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by kpc
Originally Posted by wholelottamiles
JDiver do you know if there's a way to book Parque Central through a reliable agency? I've heard one must be ready to be moved to another hotel if it's a package kind of deal and it's busy season and things get overbooked.
Why not just book it online yourself through the link in my post above? You are billed by a Spanish company in Euros.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Parque Central is no longer owned by the Spanish company it once was, it is now under the Cuban government's control.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 8:57 am

Programs: Hyatt Platinum, IHG Platinum, Aadvantage Platinum
Originally Posted by djjaguar64
Parque Central is no longer owned by the Spanish company it once was, it is now under the Cuban government's control.
Good to know. Maybe I need to figure out which Canadian or European companies book for the Cuban government. I think that means Havanatur, could be that there are other names.
Old Jul 5, 2014, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Good to know. Maybe I need to figure out which Canadian or European companies book for the Cuban government. I think that means Havanatur, could be that there are other names.
selloffvacations, sunwing, rumbo.es
Old Jul 13, 2014, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am going to try the NH Capri in Havana. Will report back.
Booked it on cubantravelnetwork

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.