Wiki Posts
Search

Can US citizen for personal use bring in cigars

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2017, 10:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: continental united starwood hilton marriott
Can US citizen for personal use bring in cigars

A little confused seem to find different answers. Can I as a US citizen bring back a box of cigars and a bottle of rum?
Old Aug 13, 2017, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Yes, for now.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by arubalad
A little confused seem to find different answers. Can I as a US citizen bring back a box of cigars and a bottle of rum?
There used to be a dollar limit.
More recently that changed. Now those items, for personal use, have more generous quotas.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 6:51 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
As you said, "for personal use" is one key to being able to bring back rum and cigars. The other is that your trip conforms to U.S. law.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 8:11 pm

On my first recent trip, before the limit was lifted, CBP asked what I had brought back, but not how much, and no one checked luggage.
On the second trip, no one even asked.
No one at CBP on arrival in the US is currently asking about your OFAC reason for travel (legality).
sdizzy777 likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 10:53 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
I was addressing the strict interpretation of the law. As they say here on Flyertalk, YMMV.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 5:12 pm
No longer with Internet Brands

Programs: DL DM 1.6MM, Marriott LT Plat
There is no limit on cigars or rum any more (since October 2016, and unchanged today; according to those who have discussed it, even after the forthcoming resumption of sanctions against People to People trips to Cuba, there will still be no additional restriction on cigars and rum).

The rule is: no limits, but you get 100 cigars (or $1000 worth, if you reach that before 100 cigars) *duty free* and the duty after that is around 4% -- so essentially nothing, and that's if they even ask you. All I got was a quick "Did you bring back cigars? (yes) Did you bring back more than 100? (no)" and that was it. They never looked. Of course, that was prior to the June Trump announcement.

These rules apply whether bringing Cuba products directly from Cuba, or from a 3rd party country such as France or Mexico.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by arubalad
Yes, we can. This is taken from the OFAC WEBSITE:

32. Can I purchase Cuban-origin cigars and/or Cuban-origin rum or other Cuban-origin
alcohol while in a third country (i.e. not Cuba)?
Yes, persons subject to U.S. jurisdiction may purchase or acquire Cuban-origin merchandise,
including alcohol and tobacco products, while in a third country for personal consumption. Such
products may be consumed while in a third country, or imported into the United States as
accompanied baggage for personal use only. For a complete description of what this general
license authorizes and the restrictions that apply, see 31 CFR § 515.585(c) and (d).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.