Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Cuba
Reload this Page >

Canadian flying JetBlue from FLL to HAV - problems?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2017, 9:38 pm
Original Poster

When buying my ticket....I was told by JetBlue that the US regulations restricting US citizens to one of 12 reasons for being able to go into Cuba did NOT apply to me as I am a Canadian. This was a few months ago so I went ahead and purchased tickets for my family and I.

While trying to add additional details to my online booking in advance of the flight (departing in 10 days; need to enter passport info, etc.), I again could not proceed without indicating a reason for my visit. I called JetBlue to reconfirm that this part does not apply to me and how to get around it and was told by a senior manager that even though I'm Canadian, the US law still applies and I have to pick a reason. I don't feel comfortable lying, but not sure what to do. Should I cancel all of my Cuba trip plans and get a refund from JetBlue for not providing accurate information as to my ability to travel? Help!
Old Mar 13, 2017, 11:37 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
I was told by JetBlue that the US regulations restricting US citizens to one of 12 reasons for being able to go into Cuba did NOT apply to me as I am a Canadian
U.S. law applies to JetBlue in that the airline cannot take you to Cuba for the purpose of leisure tourism. It's a subtle difference, but I think the first representative you dealt with should have made that clear.
Old Mar 14, 2017, 9:14 am

US law applies to anyone departing from a US port/airport.
However, the US government has not been checking up for years and years on exactly what US travelers have been doing in Cuba, less so on those from other countries. Usually no questions are asked on return; maybe about cigars and rum brought back, if that.

Look at the definition of the "support for Cuban people" category in particular.
1/iii here:
https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/31/515.574

Relax. Enjoy Cuba.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 11:53 pm

Programs: DL Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Best Western Diamond Selec
Hi op, how did your flights Go?

I hold a Canadian passport too, thinking about booking award ticket with one of USA carriers. We Canadians don't need tourist visa, but we do need tourist cards. When I took transat and sunwing, they hand out on board or at check in free of charge. Do USA carriers do that, too?

When you entered USA, did you tell the immigration officer that you're going to Cuba for Pleasure? Or for 'supporting Cuban people '?

Last edited by maverikbc; Sep 7, 2017 at 12:00 am
Old Sep 7, 2017, 7:14 am

No, US airlines or their third party agency sell tourist cards by mail or at the gate. Depending on the airline and method of purchase, the PINK tourist card (for those departing from US ports or airports) sells for U$50-U$100. Check with your airline after ticket purchase for details. Usually they contact you.
You should decide which of the OFAC categories is your reason for travel to Cuba, because you will be asked by the airline to declare it.

You may not even be asked, when entering the US from Cuba, what you were doing in Cuba. However, since you are subject to US law, and US law does not permit travel for tourism/pleasure, it doesn't seem wise to say that. You will be asked to declare your OFAC reason for travel at departure, so if asked on return to the US, that is what to say.
On entry from Canada to the US to get your flight out to Cuba, why say more than you need to, if/when asked, that you are visiting the US to travel the US.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 2:59 pm

It's ridiculous we pay even $50 for something we can get for free from Canadian carriers. I browsed aa, dl, and as sites, none of them telling me about it when I pretended to book. Thanks for telling me that!

from your posts, praia, I assume you're a us Citizen? even though I'm a nexus member, you probably can't imagine many of us immigration officers scrutinize foreigners including when I go to 3rd countries via USA.

I feel uncomfortable possibly arguing that I'm going to support Cuban people, with some errors, I risk getting my nexus revoked.

I was looking to burn some dl skymiles, but I'll look to see if I could book am flights, or possibly burn ac aeroplan.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by VidaNaPraia
if/when asked, that you are visiting the US to travel the US.
I'll be really screwed if the officer asks to show my ticket. My nexus will be taken away, and possibly getting barred from entering USA for years.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by maverikbc
It's ridiculous we pay even $50 for something we can get for free from Canadian carriers.
Last I looked, fares from Canada to Cuba were a lot higher than from the US.

I feel uncomfortable possibly arguing that I'm going to support Cuban people,
So don't fly through the US. No skin off my back. I'm not here to talk you into flying from the US, or even into going to Cuba in the first place, just to try to explain how certain things work if you do.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 8:26 pm

Don't the charter airlines that ferry Canadians to Cuba for resort stays also sell air-only packages? Are those not options for you? Aren't there some good fare deals there? You wouldn't even have to bother with U.S. regulations.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by SJOGuy
Don't the charter airlines that ferry Canadians to Cuba for resort stays also sell air-only packages? Are those not options for you? Aren't there some good fare deals there? You wouldn't even have to bother with U.S. regulations.

Until about a few years ago, all inclusive packages used to start around CAD600 per person from YVR, which includes air, lodging, food and drinks. Since 2 years or so, it went up skyrocket, now I cannot find anything under CAD900.

Air only starts around CAD500, and it's been always around this price range. In the past, almost everybody chose all inclusive packages, including myself, because the price difference between air only and package was so miniscule.

As I wrote previously, I've been looking to burn DL Skymiles (maybe from other programs as well) and USD100 voucher, I thought Cuba would be a good destination as USA carriers started flying there, now it doesn't look like it.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 1:26 pm

I understand, although CAD 500 doesn't seem like a bad price.

Delta can take you to a lot of other destinations in addition to Cuba.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 9:30 pm

Exactly. AC Aeroplan used to block Cuba from redeeming miles until around USA carriers started flying to Cuba and all inclusives went up skyrocket. We've been always able to redeem miles to go places like N. Korea, so I think it had to do with a conflict between Air Canada Vacation products vs Aeroplan.

It's unfortunate that DL showing a lot of Y award availabilities YVR-HAV for 35k, and not a good and easy deal as it initially seemed.

Although it's not difficult to find YVR-CUN/PVR for under CAD400, CAD500 is still reasonable, often to VRA is cheaper than elsewhere in Cuba.

I wonder why somebody said fares from Canada to Cuba were a lot higher than from the US They must've been comparing fares MIA-VRA vs YVR-VRA.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 6:38 am

I wonder why somebody said fares from Canada to Cuba were a lot higher than from the US They must've been comparing fares MIA-VRA vs YVR-VRA.

Not necessarily from MIA. But, yes, depends on departure airport of course.
Fares Boston to Havana can be had for the equivalent of CDN347.
My research indicates fares from Toronto higher than that price.
US west coast fares have been the equivalent of CDN485.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.