Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Havana Hotel prices - December 2016/January 2017

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2016, 10:18 pm
Original Poster

Havana Hotel prices - December 2016/January 2017

I have not seen anything current on Flyertalk about hotel prices in Havana.

I checked web sites to look for a decent hotel in late December and early January for Havana, Cuba.

Incredibly, when I checked Havana for the Inglaterra Hotel and the Iberostar Parque Hotel, the nightly rates at the Inglaterra were more than $500.00 and at the Iberostar Parque Hotel, more than $700.00.

Is my computer playing tricks on me by coming up with outrageous daily rates for hotels that would not even bring in $100.00 nightly in the US?

Can the hotel nightly rates really be the price listed on US sites?

Does anyone know of a way to get a decent rate at a nice hotel in Havana?

Would I get a better rate if I used a foreign web site to book a hotel for Havana?
Old Nov 19, 2016, 10:52 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Those are the rates -- NYC prices in Havana these days. Triple from last year, all due to supply and demand. Many of these hotels are 100% sold out, so book early if you do want to stay. Problem is there are few desirable hotels, and the less expensive hotels are less expensive for a reason -- you get what you pay for. My info is based on staying for a week in November. For your dates (over NYE) those are actually cheap prices at USD 700 per night for Parque Central, prices will only go up.

Your option is to find an apartment -- but these are few and far between (for the nice ones that are unshared). I stayed at Suite Havana which is recommended.
Old Nov 20, 2016, 12:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by number_6
Those are the rates -- NYC prices in Havana these days. Triple from last year, all due to supply and demand. Many of these hotels are 100% sold out, so book early if you do want to stay. Problem is there are few desirable hotels, and the less expensive hotels are less expensive for a reason -- you get what you pay for. My info is based on staying for a week in November. For your dates (over NYE) those are actually cheap prices at USD 700 per night for Parque Central, prices will only go up.

Your option is to find an apartment -- but these are few and far between (for the nice ones that are unshared). I stayed at Suite Havana which is recommended.
Thanks for the speedy response.

We read many articles concerning Americans being able to travel to Cuba with few restrictions. All the while, air fares to Cuba are dropping rapidly.

I have not read anything in connection with the (outrageous) high prices of mediocre hotels in Havana.

I am aware that there are no American hotels in Cuba and that Sheraton is in process of establishing a hotel in Havana. It will be quite some time before that hotel is available. Who knows how much it will cost per night!

Thus, supply and demand allow the hotels in Cuba to set just about any price they feel they can get from visitors.
Old Nov 20, 2016, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
A casa or a private apartment will cost you about 30 pesos a night. Try to avoid air b n b prices. Don't bother with the hotels.
Old Nov 20, 2016, 9:15 am

The question might be more about expectations than prices themselves.
Cuba is not like anywhere else in the world, so one's thinking might need to be a bit different as well.

First of all, the country is so much more than one city, Havana.
You are going to a country where construction and household materials often are simply not available, and if they are, at a premium. In order to stay at a level you may be accustomed to, you pay for the costs to keep up that level.
Afaik, foreign investment in hotels in Havana is limited. There was one in Havana pointed out to me as a big exception, a "new concept", a building being entirely rebuilt with the participation of an English company.

Also, you must ask yourself why you want to go to Cuba in particular. IMO Cuba is more about experiencing the culture, and meeting the people (as you swear to do on your travel affidavit, jejeje), than seeing sights or cars. What better way to get to know Cuban people than to stay in their homes and eat and talk with them? Casas particulares are inexpensive and plentiful. Adjust your expectations and have a great trip.
Old Nov 22, 2016, 1:54 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by dgcpaphd
....I am aware that there are no American hotels in Cuba and that Sheraton is in process of establishing a hotel in Havana.
The top few hotels in Havana are international standard and superior to most Sheratons, fwiw. So quality is not an issue, price is high but you get what you pay for. As mentioned the other alternative is quite cheap accomodation. What is missing for now is anything in the middle tier price point. I stayed at Iberostar Parque Central which would be superior to most of the SPG hotels in NYC, for example -- but also costs NYC prices. On the same trip I was at the Plaza in Manhattan and Parque Central is better for the most part, just to put it into context. As for which is the best way to travel, that is a matter of personal taste. Either high or low end can get you connected with the local population
Old Nov 22, 2016, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The top few hotels in Havana are international standard and superior to most Sheratons, fwiw. So quality is not an issue, price is high but you get what you pay for. As mentioned the other alternative is quite cheap accomodation. What is missing for now is anything in the middle tier price point. I stayed at Iberostar Parque Central which would be superior to most of the SPG hotels in NYC, for example -- but also costs NYC prices. On the same trip I was at the Plaza in Manhattan and Parque Central is better for the most part, just to put it into context. As for which is the best way to travel, that is a matter of personal taste. Either high or low end can get you connected with the local population
Wait a minute, there are American hotels there now but with Cuban Standards; 4 points Sheraton!!!
Old Nov 22, 2016, 8:26 am

I was at the Plaza in Manhattan and Parque Central is better ....
The worst hotel room I ever stayed in was at the Plaza (for a family event some time ago).

Either high or low end can get you connected with the local population
Who in the "local population" do you "get connected with" at a hotel that costs more per night than most Cubans earn in two years?
Old Nov 22, 2016, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by VidaNaPraia
The worst hotel room I ever stayed in was at the Plaza (for a family event some time ago).

Who in the "local population" do you "get connected with" at a hotel that costs more per night than most Cubans earn in two years?
Plaza is a dump.

Only good(ACCEPTABLE) hotels

TRYP HABANA LIBRE
SARATOGA
MELIA COHIBA(FOUND DEAD COCKROACHES HERE ALSO)
CAPRI
NACIONAL(UNLESS YOU GET THE COCKROACHES)
PARQUE CENTRAL (2 WINGS)
Old Nov 22, 2016, 10:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by djjaguar64
Wait a minute, there are American hotels there now but with Cuban Standards; 4 points Sheraton!!!
You are correct, Sheraton is already open.

I looked at the SPG site and learned that rooms are between $650.00 and $685.00 daily. The full amount of the reservation must be prepaid at time of booking. There are no changes or refunds allowed.

Below is a screen copy of what appears on the SPG site for Havana.

Cuba
Havana
Four Points by Sheraton Havana - Opened June 27, 2016
Book Now
Havana
Inglaterra, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Havana - Opening March 31, 2017

The price for hotel rooms in Havana exceed many fine hotels in Manhattan and other expensive cities.

-
Old Nov 22, 2016, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dgcpaphd
You are correct, Sheraton is already open.

I looked at the SPG site and learned that rooms are between $650.00 and $685.00 daily. The full amount of the reservation must be prepaid at time of booking. There are no changes or refunds allowed.

Below is a screen copy of what appears on the SPG site for Havana.

Cuba
Havana
Four Points by Sheraton Havana - Opened June 27, 2016
Book Now
Havana
Inglaterra, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Havana - Opening March 31, 2017

The price for hotel rooms in Havana exceed many fine hotels in Manhattan and other expensive cities.

-
Who will pay those prices, well Americans can afford it I guess. Im sure the dump hotel Vedado is also charging $500, where i have paid $30 per night with a balcony room.
Old Dec 17, 2016, 9:02 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Just booked a Master suite on 'the level' at Meliá Cohiba for about $750/night.

Any experiences?
Old Dec 18, 2016, 6:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kokonutz
Just booked a Master suite on 'the level' at Meliá Cohiba for about $750/night.

Any experiences?
OMG what a rip off. They serve the same food in the lounge(eve) from breakfast just so you know. I paid USD$150 for that room. What a waste of money. Enjoy!!!
And make sure you carry a roach spray as I have seen roaches in their rooms.

Old Dec 18, 2016, 10:32 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by djjaguar64
OMG what a rip off. They serve the same food in the lounge(eve) from breakfast just so you know. I paid USD$150 for that room. What a waste of money. Enjoy!!!
And make sure you carry a roach spray as I have seen roaches in their rooms.

When did you get that rate!?
Old Dec 19, 2016, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kokonutz
When did you get that rate!?
These rates were active before the American invasion. Don't you see, they are ripping you all off? These hotels are not 4 or 5 stars, they are all 3 stars or below. There is no such thing as customer first in Cuba.

Anyway what do you get for $720?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.