Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Cuba
Reload this Page >

Duty when exceeding my $100 limit...

Old Dec 19, 2015, 9:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1P, GlobalEntry, StarwoodPlat

In a couple of weeks, I will make my first trip to Cuba. I'm trying to beat the hoards that will certainly start arriving once restrictions loosen a bit more.

I will likely want to exceed the $100 limit on Cuban cigars and rum combined by 2 or 3 times...or more. . Will US customs just charge me a duty on the value exceeding $100? Any idea what that amount is? Or is that a hard limit that they will enforce by drinking and smoking my things for me after I board my flight back to LA?
Old Dec 19, 2015, 10:03 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
My experience most the time they don't charge anything, unless you're over considerably
Old Dec 20, 2015, 12:22 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
In the research I did for the new edition of a guidebook to Cuba, I was told that the $100 limit is absolute. The overage will be confiscated.

Remember, also, that you get the $100 allowance only if it's a legal trip to Cuba. If you're just going on your own as an independent tourist, your allowance is zero.

Last edited by SJOGuy; Dec 20, 2015 at 12:27 am
Old Dec 20, 2015, 1:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1P, GlobalEntry, StarwoodPlat
I'll be on a legal trip to Cuba. I was just hoping I could bring back more than the $100...
Old Dec 20, 2015, 8:12 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
According to the information I got, it won't happen, and $100 doesn't go very far.

Enjoy Cuba.

Last edited by SJOGuy; Dec 20, 2015 at 10:30 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.