Reload this Page >

HAV-MIA one way for UK citizen

Old Nov 24, 2015, 8:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL

Hi all,

A friend and I recently snapped up a bargain ex-EU fare from BCN-HAV / MIA-TXL in February next year. We're struggling to decide upon the best way to do the one-way HAV-MIA leg in between.

Charters seem overpriced; and with the possibility of a regularly scheduled flight appearing in the coming months we've been holding off booking one.

There's the alternative option of doing HAV-CUN on 4O (interjet), then an overnight stopover, before CUN-MIA on AA the next day.

Is there any indication that regular flights becoming bookable by Feb 16th (when we're planning to do that leg), or should we just book one of the above?

I'm a UK citizen, my friend is a US citizen. Thanks!
Old Nov 24, 2015, 12:56 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
You wouldn't be eligible for the charter flights, no matter what. They're only for U.S. citizens/permanent residents who fit into one of the 12 approved categories the U.S. allows for travel to Cuba. Even if your friend fits the bill, s/he cannot purchase a charter ticket because they are sold only round-trip USA-Cuba-USA. You can't originate in Cuba with them.

Who knows if regularly scheduled flights will commence by mid-February? As someone who's monitoring this closely for a project I'm working on, my gut feeling is no. To restore travel links with no restrictions would require a major lifting of the terms of the economic embargo. Cuba is a contentious issue in today's politically charged Washington. I'd book Interjet to CUN, and then, separately, AA to MIA.

But I could be wrong.

Last edited by SJOGuy; Nov 24, 2015 at 1:02 pm
Old Nov 24, 2015, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Fly to CUN, SJO, Bahamas or MEX and then onwards to MIA
Old Nov 24, 2015, 4:45 pm
Ambassador: LATAM

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by djjaguar64
Fly to CUN, SJO, Bahamas or MEX and then onwards to MIA
Or PTY, or great prices for HAV YUL on CA if you fancy doing something more FT-ish.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JohnnyColombia
Or PTY, or great prices for HAV YUL on CA if you fancy doing something more FT-ish.
Yes, amazing pricing for Business class, C$600 return on a 777-ER
Old Nov 26, 2015, 12:04 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice, folks. This HAV-YUL connection is interesting; can't seem to pull up a fare under 1,000 though - how do I search for these?
Old Nov 26, 2015, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by armouredant
Thanks for the advice, folks. This HAV-YUL connection is interesting; can't seem to pull up a fare under 1,000 though - how do I search for these?
Bear in mind when you first posted you didn't say when you are wanting to travel. So I just had a quick look at some random dates. Given you know the dates and we still do not, we cannot really help you. But if you are seeing 1000 then that's probably what it costs for your dates.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 4:41 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
The OP specifies Feb. 16, 2016.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 10:56 pm

Originally Posted by SJOGuy
The OP specifies Feb. 16, 2016.
Sorry OP I missed that second time around but first time around when I originally posted that the fares were cheap I suspect I did see that, and then subsequently was overcome with forgetfulness.

Now sorry I have no idea where I saw it. ITA does not permit HAV as a point of sale. hopefully djjaguar64 will come back with some advice

EDIT. OK on the CA UK site www.airchina.co.uk

There is no flight on 16 Feb. You can have 15th or 17th for 193 in Y or 586 in C
Old Nov 27, 2015, 9:28 am
Original Poster

Aha! Thanks, all.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You can book using flightnetwork, yes, Air China does not have a flight on the days Johnny listed. Do a search on Google Flights and it'll give you the options to book. You can also book on selloffvacations & ticketpilot.ca

Last edited by djjaguar64; Nov 29, 2015 at 6:54 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.