Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Cuba
Reload this Page >

Airbnb will rip off Americans - and all customers.

Airbnb will rip off Americans - and all customers.

Old Apr 11, 2015, 9:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by JackE
You started out saying AirBnB provides no additional service, and now you're pointing out that they do.

Anti-capitalist rant, meet reality.
Why are you accusing me of being anti-capitalistic and of ranting? Clearly the casa bookers and casa providers are making money for themselves. THAT is capitalism (as is licensing and being taxed). Be careful with what you say. This system works for Cubans and for the clients who have been allowed to come to Cuba. I am not sure where you are from, but it is not the Cuban government that has disallowed US citizens from coming to Cuba.

Furthermore, JackE, you are putting words in my mouth. In my OP I used the term no extra value. I did NOT say no additional service. You did.

I missed something with your comment. The current casa-booking system is the just involved in booking Cuban casas and has been in place for years on a pay-by-cash basis. AirBnB is now providing a casa-booking system too, but uses several intermediaries and payment is by credit card and is now accessible to Americans (but perhaps illegal as Carpetbagger points out). If that is additional value to you then great. I pay cash and get a licensed room for less than through AirBnB. I guess you define terms differently that I do.

You (as a client) can get the more expensive room through AirBnB (if you wish) and many folks can get the room for cash through the well-established casa-booking system. Different definitions of value!

Last edited by tmac100; Apr 12, 2015 at 7:19 am
Old Apr 13, 2015, 2:02 am

Programs: lh sen
tmac100 is mentioning the problems with paying by credit card in casa particular. Until last week it was not possible, not legal, not allowed. Maybe next week it might be different - who knows?

The major problem in Cuba is the breakfast in casa particular: same, same, same. This is an original video from Havana about breakfast:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuap4wIGSLg

Last edited by carpetbagger; Apr 13, 2015 at 10:26 am
Old May 31, 2015, 3:38 pm

If not using airbnb where would I look to book a casa ?
Old Jun 2, 2015, 12:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, A3 Gold
<redacted>

Do a google search for casa booking and Cuba. Try looking at touring Cuba as well. There are LOTS of agencies and LOTS of casas. No need to pay AirBnB prices - too many middlemen and the Cubans don't get the real benefit --- as stated before. Hence the title of this thread.

Last edited by JDiver; Jul 27, 2015 at 6:31 pm Reason: Redacted unfriendly bits
Old Jun 3, 2015, 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by tmac100
Be a traveller and do SOME research!

Do a google search for casa booking and Cuba. Try looking at touring Cuba as well. There are LOTS of agencies and LOTS of casas. No need to pay AirBnB prices - too many middlemen and the Cubans don't get the real benefit --- as stated before. Hence the title of this thread
That's a wonderful informative post. You win the internet for your assistance.

For the record, I will be travelling around
Old Jun 5, 2015, 7:35 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
This is the Cuba Forum. The title and cast of this thread seems to be more about berating Travellers who use AirBnB and the organisation's business model using casas particulares in Cuba merely as case studies.

When asked to reveal alternatives for booking casas particulares in Cuba, the OP tells us we must do the research. This again points to a thread discussing AirBnB, not lodging in homes in Cuba.

Let's continue discussing travel to Cuba here, not the merits or demerits of AirBnB.

Gracias!

JDiver
Senior Moderator

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.