Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Cuba
Reload this Page >

Toronto to Havana - $2K? Where to find decent flight prices?

Old Feb 3, 2015, 9:04 am
Original Poster

Anyone have any knowledge of where to find decent flight prices for YYZ to Havana and return. I'm looking for a Fri to Mon trip to Havana in the next few months.

Prices, if I'm lucky are about $1,500 return - sometimes 2K.

Any insider knowledge of discount airliners that will give me deals that AC and other airliners won't?

I'= looked at Air Transat and Sunning, but can't swing a good deal.

To pay 2K to go to Havana is pricey for such a short flight.
Old Feb 3, 2015, 9:55 am

A good way is to take a combo with hotel even if you don't plan to stay. Simply advise travel agent you will not take hotel if you don't need it. One disadvantage is that sometimes it goes through Varadero but the bus is included to Havana. I see some at $570 for 3 days in March for the Islazul right downtown near Parque Central !!

Look here on Tripcentral's grid:

Or else my favorite sites for Cuban airfare are:

momondo.com
cubana.cu
google.ca/flights
vacations.aircanada.com

Good luck!
Old Feb 3, 2015, 10:48 am

Flights to Cancun from YYZ seem to be U$435 and up, and from Cancun to Havana U$325.
Time vs. money.
Old Feb 3, 2015, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Fly into VRA with Westjet - take the Viazul bus or a cab to Havana.

Look into buying/using lifemiles - YYZ-HAV is 35000 miles RT in Y.

Otherwise buy a Havana package, and drop the hotel.
Old Feb 3, 2015, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
AC must be exploiting its monopoly of flights into HAV.

As for packages, most of them are geared for 1 or 2 week stays.

Just a note that flights to Cuba start to taper off in early April so there is even less competition.

FWIW, Viazul only operates 3-4x daily between VRA and Havana (frequency depends on direction).
Old Feb 5, 2015, 11:22 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by rankourabu
Fly into VRA with Westjet - take the Viazul bus or a cab to Havana.
Yes! Good info.

I just checked a RT with Westjet (YYZ-VRA) at around $650 CDN at the end of April. Sometimes the flight is direct and sometimes there is an overnight in Montreal - depending on the dates of travel. Don't forget the RT taxi (VRA-HAV) for supposedly 30 CUC each way - which is only 5 or 10 CUC more than between the HAV airport and the hotel/casa in Havana...

Obviously the travel with Westjet gives better deals - and especially if you are not interested in staying in Havana
Old Feb 6, 2015, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by tmac100

Obviously the travel with Westjet gives better deals - and especially if you are not interested in staying in Havana
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
AC must be exploiting its monopoly of flights into HAV.

There is always Cubana too. Their schedule is kinda irregular outside of winter - but one would get to HAV, and it seems easily bookable on their site.
Old Feb 7, 2015, 11:33 pm

Last night I booked 2 flights for my sons: YYZ-VRA. $1230 with WestJet for BOTH tickets. With AC the YYZ-HAV tickets would have cost $1253 each for a total of $2506.

Only difference is that AC provides "free" food and drinks - BUT you pay $1276 EXTRA for that. Sheesh. Oh wrt baggage, the sons have to pay $25 for 1 bag each on the WS flight south to VRA. Double sheesh on the price differential!

WestJet OTOH does not have direct flights every day, but it flies to several different places in Cuba. Clearly, research and some flexibility in travel dates can save big bucks.

An extra treat is that there is no hassle with my sons boarding the WS flights without having my credit card with them AND the Tourist Card for Cuba - $16 CAD each - is included in the WestJet price).

Last edited by tmac100; Feb 8, 2015 at 3:57 am Reason: extra info.
Old Feb 8, 2015, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Oh wrt baggage, the sons have to pay $25 for 1 bag each on the WS flight south to VRA. Double sheesh on the price differential!
I do believe the 1st bag is still free to/from non-Canada and U.S. destinations.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 1:55 am

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
I do believe the 1st bag is still free to/from non-Canada and U.S. destinations.
Thanks for this - yes, I read that too on my 2nd time around. Some airlines consider Caribbean flights USA/Canada. The devil is in the details

Nevertheless, I still saved BIG BUCKS - actually more than the cost of staying and eating in Cuba for the week and ^

Last edited by tmac100; Feb 9, 2015 at 1:57 am Reason: extra info...
Old Feb 27, 2015, 5:20 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
COPA has two flights connecting in PTY for as low as CAD709 return plus taxes. Three on Saturdays. Great service and painless connections in Panama.

You guys need a (better) travel agent as AC to or through Central America is for dupes. Anywhere, really.

Varadero is not quite Havana convenience wise.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 8:33 am

Originally Posted by ricktoronto
COPA has two flights connecting in PTY for as low as CAD709 return plus taxes. Three on Saturdays. Great service and painless connections in Panama.

You guys need a (better) travel agent as AC to or through Central America is for dupes. Anywhere, really.

Varadero is not quite Havana convenience wise.
I am flying IB from MAD to HAV, BUT they (ATM) are only flying on IB metal into PTY and have a CM connection between PTY and MAD.

I have heard good words about CM and will reserve judgement until I fly two sectors with them.

While a loyal OW and BA flier due to the routes I fly, I am always open to new (non-USA) airlines. Nothing personally against US airlines, but I DO enjoy alcohol for free on international flights as a part of some airline's service - had to pay for alcohol on UA international flights. and
Old Mar 1, 2015, 8:09 pm

Programs: lh sen
I know Paris is not Toronto. But CU offers fares around 900 EUR RT in C for ORY-HAV (OW is around 700 EUR). Usually CU is delayed, the service is crap and the seats but it is an IL 96!

Personally I would avoid to fly with CU. But is an IL 96!
Old Mar 2, 2015, 12:47 pm

Programs: Nexus
I'm flying YYZ --> Veradara --> Havana (return) for CAN$278 (including taxes) on Cubana Airlines (Monday April 27 return Thursday April 30).

Booked on redtag.ca

Should be an adventure.

Last edited by cmgalan; Mar 2, 2015 at 1:47 pm
Old Mar 3, 2015, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Its cheaper to fly into Varadero and then CAB it into HAV. I have done it many times.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.