Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Cuba
Reload this Page >

Driving in Cuba

Driving in Cuba

Old Mar 19, 2014, 7:48 pm
Original Poster

Driving in Cuba

Does anyone have experience in driving a rental car in Cuba? Also I have heard that GPS sat nav devices are banned and will be confiscated on entry to Cuba, but I haven't been able to find any official advice on this.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 11:21 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
GPS and satphones are definitely among the devices that will be confiscated and kept for your departure.

Renting is like anywhere else - I haven't looked, but it seems Europcar is everywhere. That means be careful check the car out very carefully for faults and missing items, photograph it all, etc. etc. and given you are required to purchase insurance when renting a car as well.

http://www.carrentalcuba.com/havana_...ire.asp‎

http://www.rentacarcuba.com/service_...idioma-eng.htm

www.havanautos.com

www.transtur.cu

etc. Google renta autos la habana and you'll get a lot of listings.

Also beware - some Cubans are happy to rent you their cars. This is not legal, and it's definitely not smart, in terms of mehcnaical reliability and if anything should go wrong (stopped by police, accident, breakdown, etc.)

Last edited by JDiver; Mar 29, 2014 at 4:52 pm Reason: add final para
Old Mar 27, 2014, 12:01 am

Programs: A few.
Driving is easy in Cuba other then Havana no traffic at all. Highways have very little signage and no lines because of shortages. Get a map ahead of time.

Rentals are quite expensive and you will more then likely have to pay a couple of bribes or there will not be cars available. You will often here come back tomorrow or in 4 hours when trying to rent until bribe is paid.

Rental companies are all Cuban and cars are mostly Hyundai or such and subcompact.

Foreigners also can't buy fuel in locals gas station but only in tourist stations at much higher prices.

If a police tries to wave you down on a highway keep going as their cars are broken and they won't follow you , they only want a bribe.

Finally watch out on the highways for people running out in front of you trying to sell you cheese or garlic. Happens a lot because rental cars have a different colour licence plate.

Finally if you are lost, as I have been several times, at most junctions a Cuban will offer to get in your car for a small fee and show you the way. Human GPS. I used this and had great chats and got to where I was going.

Last edited by JDiver; Mar 29, 2014 at 4:51 pm Reason: Additional information added / reformatted for reader ease
Old Apr 2, 2014, 6:59 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. Even though we are experienced international drivers I've been advised that we should hire a car with a driver in Cuba - not sure I would want to do this, but did not see any option for a car and driver on the rental car web sites.
Old Apr 5, 2014, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Please take a bus, www.viazul.cu

Safer and nothing to worry about. Comfortable and air conditioned, and believe it or not you can book online.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.