Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Cuba
Reload this Page >

Travel to Cuba with Insight Cuba. ?

Old Jul 7, 2011, 11:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador

I have always wanted to visit Cuba. Just got my Global Traveler e-mail which sparked interest again. Has anyone done the Havana Weekend with Insight Cuba or frankly any other provider? Any and all info appreciated. Flights over? Thanks.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 6:40 am

Insight Cuba

My wife and I are doing the Weekend in Havana with Insight Cuba on September 15th. So far so good. The flight from Miami is $535 RT/person.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 7:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
Thank you. We are off to HNL at that time. But I am looking at Nov. Please keep us all updated on the process. There have been lots of views of this thread but no posts. Thank you.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 6:02 pm

Please post a trip report when you return from your weekend in Cuba. I have been considering InsightCuba for a while. Your report might help me take the plunge.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
I have been travelling to Cuba every year since 2001. I usually book my flights with Air Canada directly. Also umbrellatravel.com, solwaystravel.com is a good site for hotels, etc.
Old Feb 15, 2012, 1:07 pm
Original Poster

Any updates on travel with Insight?
Old Feb 21, 2013, 8:28 am

Hi - thinking about booking a trip with Insight Cuba and looking for feedback. Anyone?
Old Feb 21, 2013, 9:09 am
Original Poster

I continue to also be interested and would love to make this happen in 2013. Anyone with Insight Cuba experience comments appreciated. Thank you.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 8:42 am

I wound up booking a weekend in Havana tour with Insight Cuba for the end of May/early June. Will be sure to report back.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 9:01 am

Seems really expensive for what it is. Are there other companies who offer similar packages? Is the official letter that this is a legal trip $1000?
Old Apr 24, 2014, 11:39 am
Original Poster

Any updates?

Booked for later this Fall.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 5:15 pm

Would you please let us know how it went? I'm looking at their Vintage tour and would appreciate hearing your feedback.

Thanks.

Originally Posted by RTWSTARALLIANCE
Booked for later this Fall.
Old Jun 6, 2014, 8:25 am
Original Poster

Of course. After booking the company made numerous attempts to contact me. This not being a priority as it is out further finally called them back. I know have a specific agent contact. Got a good briefing as asked about upgrades at Melia. Sent a offer sheet of upgrades and selected what I think may be "Club".
Old Oct 26, 2014, 6:01 am
Original Poster

I'll continue to post on this thread and answer questions if there is interest.

Did the weekend Havana trip which everyone agreed was fine for the first time in. All participants felt the money spent was more than a fair value. The group age range was from mid 30 to nearly 80 and a workable size at 24. The hotel used was the Melia Cohiba which was an exceptional retreat after a long day for touring with often humid weather. The program is to come into MIA on Wednesday with the evening at the Sofitel (miserable place) then fly out on charter Thursday morning. Melia for three nights then Sunday via charter back to MIA. The charter inbound was for us Miami Air then World Atlantic back.

At the Melia buffet breakfast is provided and at Sofitel it was a continental. The only meals to pay for are at Sofitel and one on your own dinner in Havana. The Sofitel was so bad I'd pay on my own to stay at the nearby Hilton. But the social interaction was important.

The mornings in Havana started at 9 AM and usually ended after 4 PM. There was one local Cuban guide and one guide from US. Both were more than competent. The only downside I felt was the program had to be so "cultural" in nature but there was no chance given say to explore the historic fort. Guess the difference between cultural and historic.

Currency exchange was one of the most interest topics. Ending the tour with no CUC was the key. Upon arrival there is an exchange process with the net being a 10% surcharge on US dollars. I came in with a decent amount of euros so seemed to escape that.

Internet access was important to me so I asked about this and decided upon a room upgrade which I was very happy about. Would spend that extra money without any concern for value. My internet was 24 / 7 with unlimited access. If there was a limit I never hit it. Also the Melia has an executive lounge and level on the highest floors. The upgrade charge is payable in advance in CUCs. Our group was pretty good. We also found adventure and the bars. There was no limit to the fun we had. The average wage in Cuba is around $15 per month. So great service was given nice tips. I was not disappointed with Insight Cuba!
Old Oct 26, 2014, 6:05 am
Original Poster

Skype is blocked from Cuba. So it was necessary for me to make other arrangements which was a bother. There are cards you can buy in the lobby to access internet for a specific amount of time. Communication seemed to be the biggest topic of conversation. There was no instant mobile access to google.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.