Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Cuba
Reload this Page >

Why is travel to HAV so expensive?

Old Sep 29, 2009, 10:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: *A

I'm looking to head to HAV through CUN, YYZ, MEX, (and the like) and I'm surprised how much it is costing. The trip to HAV itself is pricing out >$600 for almost all seasons I've looked at (Not inclusive of the USA-Gateway segment)

And ITA doesn't seem to work with HAV

For what I can pay to go to HAV in Y, I can head to IST, AMS, CDG and the like. (Especially temping with all the DEQM promos)

Anyway, any particular reason HAV is so expensive?
Old Sep 30, 2009, 12:17 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Lack of competition maybe?

FWIW you can fly Virgin Atlantic from LGW (London Gatwick)-HAV RT in November for GBP 632.20 all in. It's 35-40% more than flying a similar distance to destinations in the US but less than what IB charges for LHR-MAD-HAV which is the route I took some years ago.

Unfortunately HAV seems like an expensive destination to get to.
Old Oct 6, 2009, 8:55 am
mkt

Programs: AA LT PLT; DL GLD, UA nothing, B6 Mosaic; Emerald Club Executive
IMO... lack of competition and no shortage of Americans and Cuban expats willing to pay the price.
Old Oct 6, 2009, 9:02 am

Your city is MSY so I'll add a reminder incase you are US: all flights over US airspace send a manifest so if you fly YYZ-HAV the US will have a record.

If you are not a US Citizen then disregard.
Old Oct 16, 2009, 5:42 am
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

Probably just a cyclical fare and you were checking fares as they peaked. Right now, I see fares to HAV from YYZ for $318RT for next month.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 11:40 am

From what I have seen the HAV - CUN prices vary between just under $300 to about $350 - not much more than that. If someone quoted $600 that is way too much.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Dont forget Nassau on Cubana
Old Aug 13, 2010, 8:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
iah.. that's Houston I think.. travelling from US is going to be more expensive than travelling from Canada.. Lots of Canadians go down, and lots of seat sales going on year round for us Canucks.. From the US, its going to be expensive anyway you cut it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.