FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Cuba (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cuba-476/)
-   -   Conservative Congressman Responds on Cuba Travel Restriction (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cuba/1003394-conservative-congressman-responds-cuba-travel-restriction.html)

Reindeerflame Oct 7, 2009 11:08 am

Conservative Congressman Responds on Cuba Travel Restriction

I wrote my newly-elected Congressman, Tom McClintock (R-Granite Bay), CA-4th District, after hearing him discuss the need to abandon various failed government policies that haven't worked for years. So, I mentioned that the 40-plus year travel ban for American citizens to Cuba was such a failed policy, and suggested that the Cuban government likely would be more threatened by a significant increase in U.S. tourism because of the increased interaction between the citizens of both countries and the exposure of more Cubans to greater economic opportunities.

I was pleased and impressed to receive the following response after several months:

"I agree with you, the government travel ban to Cuba is outdated and I would like to see it lifted....While we should be very careful in our diplomatic relations with Cuba because of the oppression that Castro's leadership has maintained for so long, allowing American citizens to travel to Cuba could actually help bring about positive change. "

Goofy Foot Nov 23, 2009 11:30 pm

Originally Posted by Reindeerflame (Post 12556767)
I wrote my newly-elected Congressman, Tom McClintock (R-Granite Bay), CA-4th District, after hearing him discuss the need to abandon various failed government policies that haven't worked for years. So, I mentioned that the 40-plus year travel ban for American citizens to Cuba was such a failed policy, and suggested that the Cuban government likely would be more threatened by a significant increase in U.S. tourism because of the increased interaction between the citizens of both countries and the exposure of more Cubans to greater economic opportunities.

I was pleased and impressed to receive the following response after several months:

"I agree with you, the government travel ban to Cuba is outdated and I would like to see it lifted....While we should be very careful in our diplomatic relations with Cuba because of the oppression that Castro's leadership has maintained for so long, allowing American citizens to travel to Cuba could actually help bring about positive change. "

I'd like to see him say that on Fox news.

MatthewLAX Jun 8, 2010 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by Goofy Foot (Post 12871096)

+1

mcgahat Jun 8, 2010 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by Goofy Foot (Post 12871096)

I have seen this brought up a lot on fox and believe it or not there are a lot of cons out there that think it is time to lift it.

Ancien Maestro Aug 13, 2010 8:22 pm

IMO.. I hope the Americans don't visit in masses.. I like a nice vacation destination preserved without too many of our good friends from the US visiting.:D

phaleesy Aug 13, 2010 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro (Post 14478391)
IMO.. I hope the Americans don't visit in masses.. I like a nice vacation destination preserved without too many of our good friends from the US visiting.:D

I met a few "American sounding" people who told me they were from the BC. :D

The rest of the tourists were mainly from Europe and South America.

For selfish reasons, I feel the same way too.