FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Cruises (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cruises-179/)
-   -   One Day on Corfu: What to Do? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cruises/956799-one-day-corfu-what-do.html)

jac411 May 21, 2009 8:50 am

One Day on Corfu: What to Do?

We are cruising the Mediterranean and will be in Corfu for one day only. Looking for ideas on how to spend the day. Would love your ideas on both major, do-not-miss sites as well as special, little-known treasures. Thanks!

Cher905 May 21, 2009 10:56 am

When we were in Corfu on our cruise stop a few years ago, we signed up for the "Four-Wheel-Drive Safari" excursion through the cruise line. You're given a 4-person Jeep (manual shift) to drive, following the tour director. It's a fantastic way to see the island. Stopped in Sokraki for a short walking tour and light lunch at a taverna, Arkadades (?) for some shopping and baklava, and a scenic overlook for a view of the Paleokastritsa resort area. In total, the trip took about 4 1/2 hours.

obscure2k May 21, 2009 1:29 pm

jac411, as many of your recent threads are asking for advice on Mediterranean Cruise ports of call, I am going to move this thread to the FT Cruise Forum.
I will also move your other threads addressing ports of call questions.
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator

jac411 May 21, 2009 11:19 pm

Thanks Cher
And thanks too for relocating the posts

mjgodden May 28, 2009 8:18 am

Hire an open-top car and go for a drive. The scenery is stunning, and one of the most vivid memories I have of Corfu is the scent of the lemon trees as we wound our way around the coast. There are some very secluded beaches with no more than a shack serving drinks.. very idyllic! "Paleo," as mentioned earlier, is beautiful, but can be very busy. You could try Kalami, which is very picturesque and has some historical interest.

You can also drive up to Pandokrator - the views are amazing.

If you'd rather not drive, Corfu Town itself is charming. It has, I believe, the only cricket green in Greece, as well as some charming cobbled streets and beautiful architecture. It is easy to spend some time wandering around. You should also try some of the local ginger beer - it is very fresh and has a real kick.

Mark

jennj99738 May 28, 2009 11:00 am

I was really surprised how much I loved Corfu. Depending on if your ship gets in early enough, I would buy a museum pass at the Old Fort (which is right near where the shuttle buses drop you off or you can walk) and visit most of the museums. They're scattered around Corfu Town so you'll get a flavor of the town just by walking. Some of the museums close at 3:00 so it's not worth it to buy a pass if you get in late. Make sure to visit the English church which is at the Old Fort. The Palace houses a large Asian art collection.

Finally, get a drink or an ice cream and sit on the Esplanade which is just an incredible spot to people watch.

If none of this interests you, I would take the recommendation of renting a car and traveling to Pandokrator as previously recommended.