Community
Wiki Posts
Search

buying jewelry on a cruise ship

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2007, 12:51 pm
Original Poster

buying jewelry on a cruise ship

have you ever purchased jewelry ON the ship itself? after getting home, did you find it was iindeed a good deal? just wondering.
Old Mar 24, 2007, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Never...I've been warned that if I ever pay retail for jewelry, my Bar Mitzvah will be revoked and I'll have to return all gifts.

Last edited by sonofzeus; Mar 24, 2007 at 3:47 pm
Old Mar 24, 2007, 3:13 pm

Programs: AA,HP,MP,DL,SPG, MR
I always laugh when my friends rush to purchase jewelry on board the ship or in the ports insisting they are getting a fabulous bargain. I've bought inexpensive items, earrings or a watch, got a decent buy but basically you are paying what you would pay anywhere, except saving some local taxes.
Old Mar 24, 2007, 3:56 pm

Only a couple of cheap watches ... both of which I still wear 7 years later, so I guess I got my money's worth!
Old Mar 24, 2007, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
I bought a cheap bracelet and it broke in a month after I got home. Still have the pieces to remind me not to do it again.
Old Mar 24, 2007, 5:21 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Had a friend/co-worker who went through hell with a cruise ship purchase. She bought it in for something to her jeweler, I think to get adjusted to fit, and he said the stones were wonderful, and asked where she got it, usual chit chat.

She said something like not a bad price for so many carats, he informed her it wasn't anywhere near that size, that each of the stones they said were some size were just over half that size.

There was much back and forth with them over the discrepancies, they had them pull out each stone and weigh them, it was still way under. In the end she just had the charge reversed, they never came to an agreement over it, and she sent the bracelet back to them.

We were both working for the bank the credit card was from, so there was no issue of credibility when the dispute started, but if it was somebody off the street the outcome could have been quite different.

Every single item on a cruise ship is a profit center. They sell cans of coke for $2.50 each I can get this week at Stop and Shop for seventeen cents. There are no deals on anything you purchase on board, everything is being sold for the sole purpose of adding to the bottom line.
Old Mar 24, 2007, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Absolutely!

Mike, those big boats don't sail to give away money!
Old Mar 24, 2007, 5:28 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
My rule of thumb is never pay more than what I would pay if it were costume jewelry. I have no idea whether a stone is real or fake or what the value of it is. If I like it and I would pay that price for fake, I buy it, otherwise, I pass. (I am not suggesting that the jewelry is in fact fake.)

As someone else has said everything on a cruise is a profit center. If the jewelry is as overpriced as everything else, I'd suggest saving your money.
Old Mar 24, 2007, 7:10 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
My wife and I buy her one item (or set) of jewelry on board each cruise. We're not looking for a huge bargain, just something to remember each trip by. If we don't think a particular piece is worth the price, we won't buy it. If we do, then we buy it with no regrets. There's no rushing to a local jeweler when we get home for an appraisal or breathless bragging to friends about "such a deal" we got on the high seas.
Old Mar 24, 2007, 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by cordelli
Had a friend/co-worker who went through hell with a cruise ship purchase. She bought it in for something to her jeweler, I think to get adjusted to fit, and he said the stones were wonderful, and asked where she got it, usual chit chat.

She said something like not a bad price for so many carats, he informed her it wasn't anywhere near that size, that each of the stones they said were some size were just over half that size.

There was much back and forth with them over the discrepancies, they had them pull out each stone and weigh them, it was still way under. In the end she just had the charge reversed, they never came to an agreement over it, and she sent the bracelet back to them.

We were both working for the bank the credit card was from, so there was no issue of credibility when the dispute started, but if it was somebody off the street the outcome could have been quite different.

Every single item on a cruise ship is a profit center. They sell cans of coke for $2.50 each I can get this week at Stop and Shop for seventeen cents. There are no deals on anything you purchase on board, everything is being sold for the sole purpose of adding to the bottom line.
Interesting,unless your friend had intentions of selling the item what difference did the size of the stones have? They had an item they were happy with,they paid the price they were happy with for the item,so why didn't they hold on to it?If someone bought a house they thought was 4000 sq ft and they were happy with the house why would they move out if they measured the house later and found it to be 3800 sq ft?
Old Mar 25, 2007, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by thebug622
Interesting,unless your friend had intentions of selling the item what difference did the size of the stones have? They had an item they were happy with,they paid the price they were happy with for the item,so why didn't they hold on to it?If someone bought a house they thought was 4000 sq ft and they were happy with the house why would they move out if they measured the house later and found it to be 3800 sq ft?
When you buy diamonds, the statement of size is a promise not a guess.

I prefer to do my shopping in my home area with jewelers that I know and trust.
Old Mar 26, 2007, 7:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Under the Liberty Visual to 27L at PHL. Stranger in a strange land - a Devils fan in Flyers country.
Programs: PWP Le Chancelier des Clefs d'Or || Sarcasm, Anti-Stupidity, Obscure References top tier member.
Originally Posted by Marysunshine
I always laugh when my friends rush to purchase jewelry on board the ship or in the ports insisting they are getting a fabulous bargain. I've bought inexpensive items, earrings or a watch, got a decent buy but basically you are paying what you would pay anywhere, except saving some local taxes.
I must disagree. My sailing on Crown Princess last year for evidence: I wanted to get the Citizen ECO-Drive Blue Angels Edition. US list price: ~$500, say $499-$525. Ship list: $266. AH Riise in St. Thomas: $233. I rest my case - where did I get that watch? If I didn't go ashore I saved 40-some-odd percent, but since I did I saved more. $499 vs. $266 for the same watch...come on now. As long as you're an informed consumer you should be fine.

Last edited by ConciergeMike; Mar 26, 2007 at 7:04 am Reason: clarification
Old Mar 26, 2007, 9:08 am

I've never bought anything other than costume jewelry on a cruise ship. I haven't seen any real jewelry (14k or better) on the ship that couldn't be found at home for better price/quality.

Also haven't bought much jewelry in ports, with two exceptions:

I do scour the Mexican ports for sterling silver pieces. Previously I could find many items for $1/gram but I guess those days are long gone now, with the price of silver going up as it has. I always ask the gram weight.

Also, I purchased a set of Movado watches (his and hers, museum design) in a high-end jewelry store in Nassau and it was essentially a buy one, get one free deal. I've been very happy with those. It was definitely an offer I am glad I took advantage of. And I have seen similar Movado offers in other ports since then.
Old Apr 20, 2007, 2:37 pm

Programs: Former AA EXP/2M Lifetime now Blackballed UA Premier Executive PWP Bronze
Originally Posted by cordelli
makes a lot of sense. thanks for this informed response.

now can you point me somewhere that sells merchandise to lose money?

i am looking forward to shopping at some not-for-profit businesses...
Old Apr 20, 2007, 7:00 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG,
The only thing more crazy

Is buying "famous" works of art on a ship. What a crock that racket can be! The "art shows" are truely painful to behold even on a "luxury ship" such as Crystal the art is BAAAD and the prices are hiiiiiiiiigh. That being said my husband was silly enough to buy a mystery (kind of grab bag for art) piece for less than 20$ on a lark. It went into the recycle bin at home.

Live and learn. That being said. Duty free is duty free.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.