Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Cruises
Reload this Page >

Going on a cruise to... ahem... hook up?

Old Jun 11, 2008, 1:16 pm
Original Poster

So I'm leaving on a Princess cruise to Alaska in a few days, and my girlfriend and I were having this debate: do people actually book cruises to hook up while they're there?

I know people will hook up just about anywhere these days, but cruises seem like an odd place to me - expensive drinks, small rooms (and bunk beds!), travelers usually in a group...

Have you ever seen (or been) someone seeking action on the ocean? I'm really curious if this phenomenon exists.
Old Jun 11, 2008, 7:57 pm

Programs: GE, AA PLT/2.6MM, BR Gld, Royal Carib. DM+, Celebrity Elite, NCL PLT, Princess Elite
I have seen this on the shorter 3 and 4 day cruises, but not on an Alaska cruise.
Old Jun 11, 2008, 10:23 pm

I've never seen it on the Disney Cruise Line!
Old Jun 11, 2008, 10:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

of course.. how frequent depends on the cruise..

all-inclusive cruiselines = free alcohol

bunk beds? besides on easycruise?

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jun 12, 2008 at 6:23 am
Old Jun 11, 2008, 10:44 pm

There was a late-night reality TV show called Shipmates that was a dating show on a cruise ship.

I don't know about hooking up, but there was a lot of action, but not much lasting attraction.

Considering your room is right there i'm sure it wouldn't be hard to hook up if you wanted.
Old Jun 11, 2008, 11:15 pm

Programs: Membership has its benefits, or so I am told.
hooking up here and there

i used to work for the producer of entertainment for several major cruise lines - i assisted in the casting of singers and dancers who did the big production shows, not the lounge acts, but the big Broadway and Las Vegas stylel shows. Besides the expected lurid tales of shop girls and assistant cruise directors, the kids club director and the shore excursion CREW, there were ALWAYS tons of fun stories passed around about watching the passengers hook up...and the places they would find for nooky was not always as private as they thought it might be....

good times.....

ITTIA
Old Jun 11, 2008, 11:40 pm

Originally Posted by jswadley
Have you ever seen (or been) someone seeking action on the ocean? I'm really curious if this phenomenon exists.
I've been on one cruise to Mexico (7 day) and yes, this happens.
Old Jun 12, 2008, 1:35 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime 1K, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HH Diamond, Delta Base, AA Base
just like Vegas....what happens on the ship, stays on the ship
Nick0514 likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2008, 6:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
of course.. how frequent depends on the cruise..

all-inclusive cruiselines = free alcohol

bunk beds? besides on easycruise?
Yeah, I think most cruise lines have drop down secondary beds in some rooms for large families.

All-
That's really interesting. I've only been on a few cruises (with parents, family) so I've never really been paying attention, but I will on this trip. It seems like if there was romance, it'd be of the summer camp sort: tons of face time leads to tons of time for other things, but it's gone the moment camp is over (or the boat docks).
Old Jun 12, 2008, 9:35 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Yes it happens, and the later in the cruise the more desperate people will become.

I would hate to think the general crowd on Princess in Alaska would be in line with that (say over Carnival in the islands), but I'm sure there are people out for some, there certainly were on our Princess to Mexico.
Old Jun 12, 2008, 10:12 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
The best parties I've been to on any ship were in the crew bar belowdecks.
Old Jun 13, 2008, 9:11 am

Originally Posted by FourFoxesinPA
I've never seen it on the Disney Cruise Line!

I was on a Disney Cruise last month, and everyday they had a function for ‘single cruisers’, I was wondering if anyone actually attended, since that is about the last cruise I would pick if I was single.

Also I think almost all the cabins had a bunkbed type setup.

We were always in port at the same time as 1,2 or 3 Carnival ships. Those are the Party ships. People doing Tequila shots at 9 in the morning, and practicing for Girls Gone Wild everywhere we went.
Old Jun 13, 2008, 11:29 am

To be perfectly clear - while it does happen I would never recommend GOING on a cruise (as the OP title suggests) in order to hook up. Most cruises are couples and familie traveling together, and a single will often have a hard time finding other singles. Now, once you find them it will likely be late at night in the disco as their parents or kids are asleep. So, you might "get lucky" but don't expect a lot of cuddling the next day, because there is a good chance you won't see them again until the next night. My point is, it is a little like going to DisneyWorld to hook up - plenty of people, but not the right kind.

The exception is singles group cruises. there are plenty of singles curise operators who put together groups, matching up same sex roommates, and then making sure there are plenty of singles and activities daly to get them mingling. THIS is a good bet for "hooking up" or just meeting someone nice, or at the least having companionship on a cruise instead of being alone.

How would I know all this? I worked on cruise ships for 2 years (like a poster above, I was a JAR, and he will know what I mean). And today I am the editor of cruisemates.com - one of the leading online cruise guides. We have a large section just for singles cruisers (articles and message boards) if you want to research this further.
Old Jun 13, 2008, 11:35 am

To be perfectly clear - while it does happen I would never recommend GOING on a cruise (as the OP title suggests) in order to hook up. Most cruises are couples and familie traveling together, and a single will often have a hard time finding other singles. Now, once you find them it will likely be late at night in the disco as their parents or kids are asleep. So, you might "get lucky" but don't expect a lot of cuddling the next day, because there is a good chance you won't see them again until the next night. My point is, it is a little like going to DisneyWorld to hook up - plenty of people, but not the right kind.

The exception is singles group cruises. there are plenty of singles curise operators who put together groups, matching up same sex roommates, and then making sure there are plenty of singles and activities daly to get them mingling. THIS is a good bet for "hooking up" or just meeting someone nice, or at the least having companionship on a cruise instead of being alone.

How would I know all this? I worked on cruise ships for 2 years (like a poster above, I was a JAR, and he will know what I mean). And today I am the editor of cruisemates.com - one of the leading online cruise guides. We have a large section just for singles cruisers (articles and message boards) if you want to research this further.
Old Jun 15, 2008, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

jswadley, so youre agreeing with me right?

murphy beds (dropdown) etc are not "bunkbeds" (stacked vertically)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.