Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Cruises
Sign in using an external account

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Mar 9, 07, 1:18 pm   #1
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Programs: United
Posts: 8
"Seat Guru" for Cruises - Cabin rankings

I am going on my first cruise in November and am hoping there is a website that ranks the cabins on each ship much like Seat Guru for airlines and theatre monkey for London theatre tickets. It is a fifteen night cruise on Oceania (Insignia) and we are booked in the least expensive inside cabin so I am thinking if I can at least try and pick my location on the ship, it may be worth it.

Is there anything I should be concerned about, for example, is it bad to be in room directly above the entertainment floor or are they pretty soundproof. Is it better to be mid ship, front, back etc. Any input would really be appreciated! Thank you!
mgt2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 07, 1:24 pm   #2
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Bradenton, FL USA SRQ & TPA
Programs: Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Silver
Posts: 34,225
CruiseCritic.com has a lively discussion board with much fo the info you are seeking. In general, my goal is to find a cabin between two decks of cabins to avoid noise from showrooms, bars, and restaurants. Otherwise, especially in an inside cabin, there's not much to worry about.
SRQ Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 07, 10:20 pm   #3
Suspended
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: Seattle
Programs: Ephesians 4:31-32
Posts: 10,695
WOW! That is one of the best new ideas I have heard of in a long time.

Somebody ought to jump on that! Opportunity knocks.
Punki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 07, 8:11 pm   #4
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Cleveland, Ohio, USA
Posts: 296
Having a "cabin guru" website would be virtually impossible to gather all the information needed. There are a dozen (at least) different cabin classes on each ship versus two or three seat classes on an airplane. Within each cabin class there are numerous different variables such as stern or aft, floor, view, and proximity to any elevators, gathering places, service areas, mechanical components, etc.

And gathering this information would be very difficult. Each cruise line has very different ship configurations. Ships are not like airplanes where you can buy a ticket and walk through it is a few minutes and visually see all the other seats. And they only sail every week or two so there is not the same amount of data available as planes where there are up to dozens of flights every day for similarly configured planes. It just would be impossible to gather this information.
SlickRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 07, 8:40 pm   #5
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1
My wife and I cruised on the Insignia last October. The ship has excellent soundproofing however I would suggest you book a cabin towards the front. Also book your dinners at the sinature restaurants as soon as you get on board. A little known secret is the morning breakfast served on the aft deck in the "tapas" restaurant. Overall I think you'll enjoy your cruise!
maxdax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 07, 7:52 am   #6
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: west of DFW airport
Programs: AA LT Gold, 1.7 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
Posts: 10,915
There are very good reports from Insignia. Friends who used to travel only on Crystal have switched loyalties after 2 very nice cruises with Oceania. Several former Crystal employees now work for Oceania and have really made a great company.

I 2nd looked at www.cruisecritic.com
oldpenny16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 07, 10:25 pm   #7
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Programs: NW Gold, '06. Good times.
Posts: 6,251
This is the best collection of cabin info I've found. No rankings but it gives you an idea of what's where.

http://travel.travelocity.com/ecruis...er.do?Service=

Not as easy to navigate as Seat Guru, but you can also try:

http://www.cruisedeckplans.com/DP/Main/home1.php
__________________
I'm an author, a blogger, and an educator.

Last edited by hoyateach; Mar 12, 07 at 12:07 am.. Reason: rankings, not reviews
hoyateach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 07, 10:57 pm   #8
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Programs: United
Posts: 8
I appreciate everyone's input! I have actually been a lurker on Flyertalk for several years and have accrued many a mile and taken the advice of many of the experts on this site for personal and business trips. Thanks again, Mgt.
mgt2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 07, 11:49 am   #9
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Beaverton OR
Programs: GE, AA PLT/2.6MM, BR Gld, Royal Carib. DM+, Celebrity Elite, NCL PLT, Princess Elite
Posts: 1,634
Actually there is one

You can input your cabin number and get all the details as well as check out all the deck plans:

http://www.cruisedeckplans.com/
ak333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 07, 2:23 pm   #10
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Programs: United
Posts: 8
It looks like to get specific cabin data you need pay a onetime fee of $11.95. The public link just takes me to the Oceania Home page. Without seeing a sample of the type of info you get, I am reluctant to pay the $12. Has anyone used www.cruisedeckplans.com and feel it is worth the money?
Thanks,
Mgt
mgt2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 07, 4:00 pm   #11
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: At an airport-on a cruise ship
Programs: CO/UA-1K Hilton-Diamond, Marriot-Silver SPG-Platinum Thanks to FT
Posts: 2,534
I like that cruisedeckplans.com though it did not have all the info on the line that I looked up, but it was very good.

My advise, take a look at the deck plan and determine what the WORST inside cabin is. Would that be awful if you were in that? If not, have your travel agent book a Guarantee (GTY). IT will guarantee you that you will get that category or better. Then have your Travel agent call up their RSM (Regional Sales Manager) for the line, and ask if remarks can be put in the record for a DAP upgrade (Do All POssible). Worst case scenario, you don't get upgraded and you end up in the Inside Category that you may not have picked. Cruise lines always overbook the lead price inside cabins so your chances may be very good for being upgraded. I am speaking from experience.

As has been mentioned here www.cruisecritic.com is a great site.
Cheers
cruisr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 07, 6:38 pm   #12
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Programs: United
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisr View Post
I like that cruisedeckplans.com though it did not have all the info on the line that I looked up, but it was very good.

My advise, take a look at the deck plan and determine what the WORST inside cabin is. Would that be awful if you were in that? If not, have your travel agent book a Guarantee (GTY). IT will guarantee you that you will get that category or better. Then have your Travel agent call up their RSM (Regional Sales Manager) for the line, and ask if remarks can be put in the record for a DAP upgrade (Do All POssible). Worst case scenario, you don't get upgraded and you end up in the Inside Category that you may not have picked. Cruise lines always overbook the lead price inside cabins so your chances may be very good for being upgraded. I am speaking from experience.

As has been mentioned here www.cruisecritic.com is a great site.
Cheers
Great advice - Thank you. I will work the DAP angle though I don't have alot of confidence in the travel agent my in-laws used to book this trip. I noticed there are very few of the inside cabin on the ship so I will hope for the best. Thanks again, Mgt
mgt2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 07, 6:18 am   #13
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: IAD/DCA
Posts: 20,362
dont most cruiselines have floorplans online? seems like the ones i looked at usually did, or at least had plenty of information to compare.
Kagehitokiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 07, 2:47 pm   #14
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Programs: United
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri View Post
dont most cruiselines have floorplans online? seems like the ones i looked at usually did, or at least had plenty of information to compare.
Oceania has a great website with the layout of the ship but the info I am looking for would be more from customer experiences like noise, ship movement, access, specific room configuration issues, rooms in the same category but might be more desirable etc.
mgt2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 07, 8:10 pm   #15
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Redondo Beach, CA USA
Programs: UA PGMM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, HHonors Diamond
Posts: 2,091
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickRick View Post
Having a "cabin guru" website would be virtually impossible to gather all the information needed. There are a dozen (at least) different cabin classes on each ship versus two or three seat classes on an airplane. Within each cabin class there are numerous different variables such as stern or aft, floor, view, and proximity to any elevators, gathering places, service areas, mechanical components, etc.

And gathering this information would be very difficult. Each cruise line has very different ship configurations. Ships are not like airplanes where you can buy a ticket and walk through it is a few minutes and visually see all the other seats. And they only sail every week or two so there is not the same amount of data available as planes where there are up to dozens of flights every day for similarly configured planes. It just would be impossible to gather this information.
I agree with your facts but disagree with your conclusion. Yes, there are more cabin categories and quirks having to do with individual cabins, but that doesn't mean that a body of knowledge couldn't be collected from the stays of dozens, hundreds, or thousand of cruisers. I could easily see ship maps for each ship in each fleet with red/yellow/green rankings just like on SeatGuru!
DJ_Iceman is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 3:01 am.




SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.