Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Cruises
Reload this Page >

Anyone feel dizzy and have a spinning head days after cruising?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2007, 7:10 am
Suspended
Original Poster

I returned a few days ago from a seven night cruise. While on board I did not have any motion sickness and seas were relatively calm. Since I have returned I have felt like I on a ship in the middle of a storm. My head is spinning and I am dizzy. My wife- who came along- feels the same.

Has this spinning head feeling effected you after a long cruise?
Old Feb 25, 2007, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
Greenery, it happens to many people and will go away on it's own.

Many years ago I was on an ice breaker in the north Atlantic for quite a while. Got off the ship at our home port and nearly fainted on the dock. It happens. Didn't need alcohol to be mistaken for a drunken sailor.

It doesn't happen every cruise, so it may not happen to you two again in future.
Old Feb 25, 2007, 7:47 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards, AA - Plat, HHonors - Gold
That's right it will go away on its own. Can off a 7 day Western Caribbean cruise and could walk a straight line for two days. It wasn't too bad but it was a struugle walking through crowded places. Two days later all was back to normal.

Guess it's different strokes for different folks but I wouldn't get overly concerned, you and the wife should be back to normal in no time.
Old Feb 25, 2007, 8:56 am

This happens quite a bit, even with frequent cruisers. That is what the saying " getting your landlegs back" refers to.
Old Feb 25, 2007, 2:56 pm

My daughter works on a cruiseship. She now prefers to be at sea because she suffers from "land-sickness".
Old Feb 25, 2007, 3:11 pm

While I've had it, it never lasted more than perhaps 1 day. I looked on the net and (probably shouldn't tell you) some people say it can go on for quite some time. Have a search as there are many suggestions.
Old Feb 25, 2007, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, Delta Plat
Very common. Mrs. Redbeard had it for about four days after a four day cruise. It went away by itself.
Old Feb 25, 2007, 8:00 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2 MM, DL PLT
I wear "sea-bands" while on the ship to ward off dizzyness, but I also continue to wear them full time for two to three days after the cruise. It takes me a few days to get my "land legs"
Old Feb 26, 2007, 3:51 am

Programs: Delta Silver thanks to Million Miles; Choice Plat., point scrounger everywhere
Try Bonine

I read somewhere that Bonine (or Dramamine) will solve this problem. My wife had a problem and took it a couple of days. Cured the problem.
Old Apr 11, 2007, 12:22 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Delta base , American base , Royal Caribbean Platinum
Bonine is also the BEST remedy to avoid sea sickness while cruising!
Old Apr 14, 2007, 3:33 pm

Google the term "Mal de Debarquement Syndrome" and see if that fits in with your symptoms.
Old Apr 16, 2007, 3:28 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles Gold, Hilton HHonors Diamond, and Royal Caribbean Pinnacle Club
Going on another cruise should be the cure for it.
Old Apr 20, 2007, 12:59 pm

re: dizzy

I see that someone mentioned Mal de Debarquement. You should know this condition is extremely rare and the suffers are almost exclusively middle-aged women. There are treatments, but no cure for this disorder, which can last the rest of a person's life after a cruise or long plane ride.
Old Apr 26, 2007, 8:16 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP
I got a Rx patch from my Dr. before we left on our cruise last December. This was the first time I didn't have the floor move under me when I was on shore, (I've been on 11 cruises). Really strange feeling to be sitting on the toilet and all of a sudden you fell like your back on the boat!
Old May 11, 2016, 2:52 pm

Well it's 2016 and there is still no remedy for this very common feeling. I just wanted to respond and say Thank you to all those who contributed to this reply..
I just returned from Cozumel, Mexico through Carnival Paradise and I must say we had a blast. I got very sea-sick the first night of our 4 day cruise, but the next day and days thereafter I was fine. Now, 2 days after debarkment I am back home eating dinner at the kitchen table and I feel like I am in the Titantic as it's sinking...
Very weird feeling because I look at everyone else and they seem to be fine.. JUST ME..
According to the replies above I'm going to wait it out...It's simply just a very weird feeling.. dizzy and rocking but definitely on solid soil.

Thanks guys.. See you next cruise.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.