Reload this Page >

Does anybody else do one-day cruises?

Old Sep 5, 2006, 4:53 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Ephesians 4:31-32

We live in Seattle where they have to reposition boats every Fall and Spring to work around the Jones Act, which states that no foreign registered vessel can transport passengers between one US port and another US port, without making an interim visit to a distant foreign port. The Carribean and Canada don't count.

As a result, every Fall and Spring we get to take one-day cruises to and/or from Vancouver. This year we are taking The Dawn Princess from Seattle to Vancouver on 9/23/06, getting off and boarding The Veendam which will take us from Vancouver to Seattle.

Sometimes these trips can be very, very cost-effective. Right now I think balcony cabins on the Dawn are selling for less than $100. Not bad for lunch, working out and playing on the boat all day, dinner, a Broadway type show, dancing all night, a room for the night and breakfast the next morning. ^
Old Sep 6, 2006, 4:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL GM, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat
Because this is the internet, I have to point out you that you're confusing the Jones Act with the Passeneger Services Act.

The Jones Act requires that US Flagged vessels are completely US from bow to stern: US built, US owned and over 75% of the crew American. Once that requirement is met, the vessel does not have to comply with the Passeneger Services Act. The Passeneger Services Act states that No foreign vessels shall transport passengers between ports or places in the United States, either directly or by way of a foreign port, under a penalty of $300 for each passenger so transported and landed..

Cruise ships have to stop at a foreign port before coming back to the US in order to satisfy both laws, otherwise they can't let anyone get off and stay off. Canada and the Carribean do count, Alaskan cruises that leave out of Seattle stop in BC to skirt both acts. Bahamas cruises out of FLA go to, well, the Bahamas.

Your Seattle/Vancover deal is nice, but in this case, since it is point to point US/Canada it is not covered by either law.

Last edited by skofarrell; Sep 6, 2006 at 7:40 am
Old Sep 6, 2006, 7:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
Lacking an ocean near by

I wish I could do the Seattle-Vancouver and etc. Sounds great.
Old Sep 6, 2006, 8:27 am

My husband and I have taken two repositioning cruises - one from Vancouver to Seattle, and one from Vancouver into Portland. We had great fun both times, and would do it again if we could find the time. Our experience was that people tended to stay up and party all night long since it was just one night. Both times we went in September and had gorgeous weather - sailing out of Vancouver is a sight not to be forgotten. The price is absurdly low for all it includes, and the fun we had.
Have a great time Punki - I'll be thinking about your trip as I'm heading off that day for my first trip to Italy .
Old Sep 6, 2006, 10:06 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

skofarrell writes:

Your Seattle/Vancover deal is nice, but in this case, since it is point to point US/Canada it is not covered by either law.
Of course they are not covered by either law. They are specifically designed to circumvent both laws, and we are the happy recipients of the bounty.

Lucky us!
Old Sep 7, 2006, 6:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

For me, to be stuck on a boat with hundreds or thousands of people for any length of time is something to be avoided. The longest trip I make is on the Staten Island Ferry or the Casco Bay Ferry.
Old Sep 7, 2006, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
oh dear!

Originally Posted by Analise
For me, to be stuck on a boat with hundreds or thousands of people for any length of time is something to be avoided. The longest trip I make is on the Staten Island Ferry or the Casco Bay Ferry.
Analise, we need to help you find a really nice ship that suits you. Not run of the mile for sure.
Old Sep 7, 2006, 9:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by oldpenny16
Analise, we need to help you find a really nice ship that suits you. Not run of the mile for sure.
Thanks but I think you'll be taking on a task too tough to accomplish but I appreciate the sentiment.
Old Sep 7, 2006, 1:52 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

You know, Analise, that is the same way that we felt before we started cruising. Once we were forced to take one, we found that we really, really liked it. Since then we have taken two more and plan to start taking longer cruises once we retire and have more time.

Even though we have been on ships that were totally full, we have never felt crowded.
Old Sep 7, 2006, 10:37 pm

I've done a few of these and they are lots of fun. One thing to remember if it's your first time cruising - is that the service on a turnaround is not likely to be as good as if you were on a week long cruise. The cruises tend to be full (because of the cheap prices) and the crew don't work as hard - because the tips just aren't there on a turnaround.

And yes - I know for sure, as I was crew on two RCCL ships and service lacked on these voyages.
Old Sep 8, 2006, 7:39 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
i wouldn't mind a repositioning day but I would like to do it on crystal cruiselines.
Old Sep 9, 2006, 4:09 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles Gold, Hilton HHonors Diamond, and Royal Caribbean Pinnacle Club
Originally Posted by skofarrell
Cruise ships have to stop at a foreign port before coming back to the US in order to satisfy both laws, otherwise they can't let anyone get off and stay off. Canada and the Carribean do count, Alaskan cruises that leave out of Seattle stop in BC to skirt both acts. Bahamas cruises out of FLA go to, well, the Bahamas.
Just to note, not every cruise ships have to stop at a foreign port before coming back to the US... NCL have some US Flagged ships sailing around Hawaii, nice ships too.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.