Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Cruises
Reload this Page >

Luxury Cruise Lines

Luxury Cruise Lines

Old Aug 25, 2004, 11:19 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Husband AA EXP (yeah!!) Hya Dia, Marriott
Originally Posted by oldpenny16
but the average age on our Crystal Cruise was far above us. Far! I don't want to do that again. I loved the ship but the feeling of no one being about was weird. A lot of people had their meals in their rooms. That may be a function of having so many balconies. I was a since of livelyness when I'm on a cruise ship.
I understand - don't want to feel like you'e keping everyone awake - don't think the balconies are a factor, though!
Old Aug 26, 2004, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
Talking with cruise staff who have worked on ships

with few or no balconies and ships with many, they do report a greater number of people spending more time in the cabins with balconies. More people order room service meals, especially breakfasts and often drinks in the evening. I had a room with a balcony on the Crystal Harmony and really enjoyed it. We did leave our room for meals and activities. Balconies do change the social situation on cruise ships.
Old Aug 31, 2004, 12:13 pm

Programs: DL DM, former NW PE
The itinerary and dates have a great deal to do with the passenger mix you'll find. On Silversea last December, the cruise segment right before Christmas was lively and fun. The segment over Christmas and NewYear's Eve was filled with many folk who had nowhere else to go, and was generally dull and stuffy. Same ship, similar itinerary, but the dates were the difference.

I have also noticed a "Yellowstone Effect" in the lounges on luxury lines. If the lounge is empty, people just pass by when they look in. But if there is someone there, then other people will stay when they poke their head in. So, be the first to start the trend.

Luxury lines also tend to be more of a "cocktails before dinner" style than a "have a drink after the evening show" atmosphere. So meet fellow guests before dinner, then make arrangements to meet after the show later in the cruise.

IMO, all ships have their own personalities, even within a cruise line. The Crystal ships have different "feels", as do ships with Silversea and Radisson. But the good news is that you'll have a great time finding out which one's are best for you.
Old Aug 31, 2004, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
My ideal luxury cruise ship.....would be

small, with no more than 90 passengers. One nice dining room, an outside eating area for breakfast and lunch when desired, a very nice bar with live music, bathtubs in each room and balconies (I love fresh air). I want to be able to get into smaller ports and never feel in a crowd. I don't want a social director on board! Seabourne at 190 passengers is OK, but Crystal is far too large. I don't want to wait in line for anything or any one. I don't need a large room.
Old Aug 31, 2004, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by oldpenny16
small, with no more than 90 passengers.
My initial reaction was to suggest the Seabourn Goddesses, but rapidly discovered that they've been sold - they're now operated by the SeaDream Yacht Club, founded by the man who originally founded Seabourn. I think they're now 110 pax, but close enough for you?
Old Sep 14, 2014, 10:03 pm
Original Member

Any updates to this discussion? I am particularly interested in luxury cruises on smaller ships with a cabin selection that includes suites.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

anyone know how residensea / the world bookings work these days?
Old Sep 15, 2014, 4:12 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
anyone know how residensea / the world bookings work these days?
A former colleague of mine works there. They use to have a department that would take reservations from non owners as if it were a regular cruise. They have since stopped that. There is a program, that is sort of like a "by invitation only" where potential buyers of the staterooms/studios/1 bedrooms, etc can come onboard for a try out, so to speak. It's my understanding they have to be referred and sort of "vetted"

Very interesting that when the ship is in dry dock the owners, who obviously cannot stay in their shipboard homes are offered things such as river cruises, tours, and hotel stays at discounted rates whilst the ship is not available to them.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cruisr
A former colleague of mine works there. They use to have a department that would take reservations from non owners as if it were a regular cruise. They have since stopped that. There is a program, that is sort of like a "by invitation only" where potential buyers of the staterooms/studios/1 bedrooms, etc can come onboard for a try out, so to speak. It's my understanding they have to be referred and sort of "vetted"

Very interesting that when the ship is in dry dock the owners, who obviously cannot stay in their shipboard homes are offered things such as river cruises, tours, and hotel stays at discounted rates whilst the ship is not available to them.
thanks. suggests only option for most of us is Exclusive Resorts ("Gifted" trip from member or 21-night trial)
Old Sep 16, 2014, 2:39 pm

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Avis PC, National EE, Seabourn DE
Originally Posted by KatW
Any updates to this discussion? I am particularly interested in luxury cruises on smaller ships with a cabin selection that includes suites.
Regarding Alaska......Silver Discoverer (Silversea), booked for next July. It's almost close to what you might be seeking.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 5:33 pm
Original Member

Excellent tip, hedoman, appreciate it. As it stands now, we are doing a Belmond barge cruise in Burgundy July 2015. Now looking for small luxury cruises for 2016 for Scandinavia/Norway/Fiords and, after that, Alaska. There are a couple of Sept. 2015 Alaska cruises available. Wonder what the weather is like there then, hmm.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 5:56 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by KatW
Excellent tip, hedoman, appreciate it. As it stands now, we are doing a Belmond barge cruise in Burgundy July 2015. Now looking for small luxury cruises for 2016 for Scandinavia/Norway/Fiords and, after that, Alaska. There are a couple of Sept. 2015 Alaska cruises available. Wonder what the weather is like there then, hmm.
I would stay away from Alaska in Sept. The weather has a greater chance of sucking compared to July and August. I have been there four times and have had wild swings in weather in June and August. Twice in July and both times beautiful.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 6:32 pm
Original Member

Thanks, good to know. The 2016 priority will be Norway/Denmark in July on a small luxury trip. These aren't all that easy to fine so appreciate the help here.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 7:15 pm

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Avis PC, National EE, Seabourn DE
I'm in Alaska this week and the weather is OK. Europa last year for Norway and it was fine.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

silver discoverer medallion 381 ft2 +27 ft2 balcony

i had forgotten hapag lloyd hanseatic is up to 474 ft2

http://www.vulkana.no/ might be 'unique' charter option for norwegian fjords
(not a charter boat, looks like less than $4K/nt to book all cabins, for 3+ nts)

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Sep 17, 2014 at 7:43 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.