Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Celebrity or Disney

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2017, 9:53 am
Original Poster

Celebrity or Disney

Has anyone sailed on the Celebrity Equinox or celebrity or Disney overall? Is there generally an older crowd on Celebrity? Does Disney have adult only sections for the pool/hot tubs? I have sailed on Royal, NCL, and Carnival. I enjoy a lot of entertainment. How does the food and entertainment rank compared to other cruise lines?
Old Feb 6, 2017, 2:04 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Hyatt Platinum,Marriott Silver,Hilton Honors Gold
Originally Posted by redhed6288
Has anyone sailed on the Celebrity Equinox or celebrity or Disney overall? Is there generally an older crowd on Celebrity? Does Disney have adult only sections for the pool/hot tubs? I have sailed on Royal, NCL, and Carnival. I enjoy a lot of entertainment. How does the food and entertainment rank compared to other cruise lines?
You have to make a decision whether it will be entertainment or food. If its entertainment, Disney blows Celebrity away. And yes there are adult only areas. That said, Celebrity excels big time over Disney, particularly if you do a cabin where you dine in Blu or Luminae.

Bottom line, its one or the other!

135 cruises strong and no more
Old Feb 6, 2017, 3:16 pm

Do you like kids? Our first cruise was on Disney Magic. I think about half the passengers are kids 12 or under. The food on Disney cruise is not that great. The lunch buffet was not bad but the dinning room food is about as good as any chain restaurant.. maybe not even as good. The specialty dinner was good, but I think on Magic there is only 1 specialty dinner restaurant, Palo. I asked other cruisers about the food and they all pretty much said Disney cruise food is among the worst. But they do have free soda and ice cream all day long which I think is not common in cruises.

Entertainment on Disney cruise is mostly geared toward kids.. I mean it is a Disney cruise after all. We enjoyed them but probably won't go by ourselves if we were not with our kid. And a lot of the activities and games require you to have watched the popular Disney channel shows on TV. Even though we are Disneyland season pass holders, our kid doesn't know any of the answers to the trivial games they have on the ship.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 3:37 pm

Agree that Disney Entertainment is First Class. Disney University is the Best Children's Program; The Counselors all had degrees in early Childhood Education. Enjoyed their dining room rotations with Disney Themes.We asked that our granddaughter be served her meal and Mickey Mouse dessert first with our appetizers, then drop her off at Disney University before returning to our table for a leisurely dinner They offer separate areas: adults only, teens and family with young children on board and in port at Castaway Key. Disney is not bashful about tariffs. We prefer the stateroom separation from the child and full tubs rather than showers only.

Celebrity does attract fewer children but the passenger ages (like aboard Princess or Cunard) do range from toddlers to seniors.The quality of Celebrity meals is comparable to Holland America, although the latter attracts a much older clientele and more sophisticated entertainment. Our mid thirties daughter was one of the youngest when we sailed the Pacific Coast of South America.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 10:17 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
The newer Celebrity ships are fine for larger ships. I stay away from the older Celebrity ships because of bad experiences.

Last edited by 747FC; Feb 8, 2017 at 1:13 am Reason: spelling error
Old Feb 7, 2017, 12:51 pm

I've been on Disney twice and also on NCL, Silversea, Regent, and Seabourn.

The Disney food is pretty good.

There are adult only areas.

That being said, if my travel party was adults only, I wouldn't step foot on Disney. And I like WDW etc. Just no need to be with kids (even if there are adult only areas).
Old Feb 7, 2017, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by farbster
That being said, if my travel party was adults only, I wouldn't step foot on Disney. And I like WDW etc. Just no need to be with kids (even if there are adult only areas).
This. So much this.

The entertainment is top-notch, and we also got to see Star Wars: The Force Awakens in 3D on opening night. The food was mediocre, at best--we weren't even that impressed with Palo (especially with the surcharge and the suggestion of a tip on top of that).

I could get a pretty sweet cabin on Celebrity and still save a bunch of cash compared to Disney.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by farbster
There are adult only areas.

One of the most memorable things on our Disney cruise was when we were leaving one of the ports during our cruise, the people on our ship were looking at the people standing on a Holland America ship across...

We have a full ship of screaming kids with the parents trying to control them. They were standing there at their balcony sipping wine. As we wave to each others, I can see on faces of parents on our ship.. they were all thinking the same thing... "Could we switch cruise ship?"
Old Feb 15, 2017, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
It may well depend on the particular ship but I've been reading some particularly-horrid TRs about the Celebrity Millennium focussing on the poor shape of cabins and horrible food/service in the MDR while the ship was in the east Asia over the past few months. Aqua class passengers report not being able to get into Blu among other things.

Only reason I am considering the cruise is it's a cheap TPAC (<<US$1000 p.p inc. tax, fees and gratuities, about the same daily cost as their Classic Beveareg Package).
Old Feb 15, 2017, 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
It may well depend on the particular ship but I've been reading some particularly-horrid TRs about the Celebrity Millennium focussing on the poor shape of cabins and horrible food/service in the MDR while the ship was in the east Asia over the past few months. Aqua class passengers report not being able to get into Blu among other things.

Only reason I am considering the cruise is it's a cheap TPAC (<<US$1000 p.p inc. tax, fees and gratuities, about the same daily cost as their Classic Beveareg Package).
After a bad experience on the Millennium, I will stay away from the older Celebrity ships forever. Hope they build some newer, smaller ships, but that probably won't happen.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 9:35 pm

On Celebrity to get good food, a suite is a must. In days gone by, standard
main dining room was more than satisfactory.

Choose wisely.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 11:10 pm

Originally Posted by overdahill
On Celebrity to get good food, a suite is a must. In days gone by, standard
main dining room was more than satisfactory.

Choose wisely.
Aqua's Blu restaurant is really quite satisfactory. Would never sail Celebrity without it (or a suite )
Old Feb 17, 2017, 8:51 am

Programs: AA-Gold, Hilton-Gold, Hyatt - Platinum
Originally Posted by 747FC
After a bad experience on the Millennium, I will stay away from the older Celebrity ships forever. Hope they build some newer, smaller ships, but that probably won't happen.
What was bad about the Millennium? I'm booked on the Constellation in April and heard they are very similar. I've been on X's newer ships but this is my first time on one of the M class or older ships.
Old Feb 17, 2017, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by lisah101
What was bad about the Millennium? I'm booked on the Constellation in April and heard they are very similar. I've been on X's newer ships but this is my first time on one of the M class or older ships.
We had an aft Sky Suite with a huge balcony that was unusable due to a persistent stench of sewage. The same stench could be smelled on an intermittent basis while walking in the corridors. Creaking floors. Episodic toilet malfunction.

Having had about 25-30 delightful days on Celebrity's newer ships, I came away believing that the M-class ships might be held together with duct tape.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.