Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Cruises
Reload this Page >

high end cruise lines

high end cruise lines

Old Jun 9, 2016, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by Hoyaheel
Oh, we have baggage allowances too. I just don't like to pack that much. Sometimes we stay in apartments up 3 (narrow!) flights of stairs, no elevators. Train/subway travel, etc. I'm a DIY sort of gal, and I've been working on my husband for years to fall in line. It's finally starting to take
I am the same as you - my wife is the same as your husband. Since women rule the roost, I have no chance at all of getting her to fall in line!!

Originally Posted by Hoyaheel
If I can't have a balcony cabin, it's not luxury to me. Personal opinion. If I go on a cruise, I spend most of my time on the balcony
^ +1

Seabourne - I am currently at the planning stage with them.
Old Jun 9, 2016, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

seabourn has $700/nt per couple for med right now
was previously as low as $500 (and $333 for TATL)
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cruis...l#post23326059

seadream's lowest was similar for caribbean
once they even did a 3 night for caribbean

wish there were more 'book cabin on yacht'
(not seadream, crystal espirit, tere moana)

silversea discoverer did 2 alaska this year

curious to see crystal residences
(residensea not bookable anymore)

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jun 10, 2016 at 12:14 am
Old Jun 10, 2016, 3:08 am

I just did a cruise with scenic tours an australian company in europe and it was amazing
Old Jun 10, 2016, 6:23 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
Originally Posted by dromoni
I just did a cruise with scenic tours an australian company in europe and it was amazing
Scenic river cruises? That's the only I'm award of - or are they doing ocean/sea cruises now as well?

River cruises -totally different animal
Old Jun 10, 2016, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

for river cruises there are 'barges'
like belmond (orient express), including >
LA SEMAINE DES GRAND CRUS
An extraordinary opportunity to sample wines from the 33 Grand Crus domaines of Burgundy.
might be just once a year
Old Jun 10, 2016, 8:30 am

Well, OP didn't ask about river cruises - for certain they aren't for kids ;-)
Old Jun 10, 2016, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i dont recall belmond having a minimum age, france drinking age is 16

there are a lot of stereotypes re luxury that are just that, stereotypes
Old Jun 10, 2016, 9:52 am

The generic demographic on river cruises is old. They have no activities for kids. THey have no space in cabins for kids. This is the first year a couple of lines have offered single cabins & connecting cabins and some family trip options (and Disney is partnering with one company). But in general, no, river cruises (note I didn't say anything about barges, or yacht charters either in case that's where you go next) are not full of kids. I have no idea how this is a stereotype of luxury that you mention, but whatever....

Since the OP wants to avoid kids, it's an idea. I did a river cruise in 2014, age 41, and I hated it. It was a lovely cruise but I'm an independent traveler and I didn't like having to pay for things I didn't want to do (eg "included" tours). We did a Christmas Markets itinerary since I love the Markets, and there were 2 families (youngest were old teens) and a couple of middle aged couples like us, but I would say 85% of the guests were >65. That's neither good nor bad, it's just what it is.
Old Jun 10, 2016, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

im not talking about charters... that is the whole point

many are not aware of what options are actually out there
Old Jul 3, 2017, 9:03 pm

Most current experience in 2017 with Crystal: it just seems that the ship and decorations were outdated by at lest 10 years.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 8:27 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
Originally Posted by best
Most current experience in 2017 with Crystal: it just seems that the ship and decorations were outdated by at lest 10 years.
Ha! Sounds like Crystal in 2007, too!
Old Jul 7, 2017, 11:42 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by best
In my mind Crystal is a luxury want-to-be line. Certainly they've always been in the upper end of the mass market and probably occupied a very small niche as a premium line. A few years ago they decided to go all-inclusive but using older existing ships that were really not designed to provide that level of service. I guess it kind of works for some passengers as they have a loyal following. Crystal doesn't interest us because the notion of a 900+ passenger ship and luxury level service are mutually exclusive.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 12:00 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by Randyk47
In my mind Crystal is a luxury want-to-be line. Certainly they've always been in the upper end of the mass market and probably occupied a very small niche as a premium line. A few years ago they decided to go all-inclusive but using older existing ships that were really not designed to provide that level of service. I guess it kind of works for some passengers as they have a loyal following. Crystal doesn't interest us because the notion of a 900+ passenger ship and luxury level service are mutually exclusive.
Randyk47: Interesting and informative-thanks. What is your take on Regent?
Old Jul 7, 2017, 12:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by 747FC
Randyk47: Interesting and informative-thanks. What is your take on Regent?

We've never tried Regent. I can't say we've considered them for every cruise but we have looked at them in the past for a few cruises. Bottom line has been they have been more expensive than Silversea where and when they have a similar or competing itinerary. It's not been worth it.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 1:00 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by Randyk47
We've never tried Regent. I can't say we've considered them for every cruise but we have looked at them in the past for a few cruises. Bottom line has been they have been more expensive than Silversea where and when they have a similar or competing itinerary. It's not been worth it.
Thanks. Always value your insights!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.