Wiki Posts
Search

Favorite Cruise Director

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2016, 12:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Skymiles KE Skypass
Favorite Cruise Director

I searched for a thread on this subject and couldn't find one (at least in the past two years).

Who has been your favorite cruise director on any of your cruises and why?

My favorite so far has been Matt Mitcham on the Carnival Breeze. He was always involved in different activities on the ship and very friendly with everyone. Even walking around the ship, he was approachable and would interact with anyone who said hello.

He has a knack of being able to immediately come up with a comedic reaction to anything he is emceeing like a stand up comedian. He also has been known for his tagline, "Bye...., I said BYE!"

My understanding is he is now on the new Carnival Vista, so anyone who will be cruising on this ship should have a good time.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 7:32 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
My favorite cruise director? Any of them who has lost their voice. After 22 years of cruising I find most of them to be a nuisance and distraction. Will say Colin Brown on Silversea is maybe the best over the years.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 9:46 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, AmEx, NorthWest WorldPerks, Jelly of the Month. S&H Green Stamps, Subway sub club
Originally Posted by teddybear99
My understanding is he is now on the new Carnival Vista, so anyone who will be cruising on this ship should have a good time.
Good to hear. Setting sail on the Vista this December.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Randyk47
After 22 years of cruising I find most of them to be a nuisance and distraction.
I realized that after my first cruise.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 3:52 pm

Fernando from Silversea
Old Mar 11, 2016, 4:45 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by farbster
Fernando from Silversea
Fernando is great. I don't think he is back onboard yet after his accident and hospitalization. Last I heard he did want to come back. Last I heard he was home in Portugal.

Also. Eric DeGray when he was with Seabourn (haven't sailed with him at Azamara)

John Barron of Seabourn

Paul McFarland of Crystal

All different and all wonderful.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 6:20 pm

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Avis PC, National EE, Seabourn DE
Originally Posted by cruisr

John Barron of Seabourn
Quit about eighteen months ago.

Fernando as King Neptune is not a pretty sight. Retire already.
Old Mar 12, 2016, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by hedoman
Quit about eighteen months ago.

Fernando as King Neptune is not a pretty sight. Retire already.
That's a loss for Seabourn but as he has a lovely young family perhaps he is staying closer to home now.

Agree with King Neptune observation but I still thing he is amazing.
Old Mar 13, 2016, 5:10 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

John Barron of Seabourn.
Had him as CD before he went to Seabourn on Regent.

IMO, they're all rather interchangeable, but enjoyed Barry Hopkins though, on Regent think he went to Seabourn for a while but went back to Regent.
Old Mar 13, 2016, 9:01 pm

Matt Mitcham was on our Carnival Pride cruise 7 years ago as an assistant. The regular CD was on holiday and they had sent a guy who regularly works in the office, so Matt seemed to gravitate to being the actual face of the cruise. Most cruise directors I have had have been pretty forgettable, but Matt was pretty good and I'm not surprised he has risen to be one of Carnivals best (albeit, that was also aided by the creation of the Entertainment Director position which many popular cruise directors went on to take, allowing a lot of movement among the CD ranks.)

Another favourite of mine is Jaime Dee of Carnival. She was on the Dream a few years ago when we sailed and is very energetic, always involved and frankly, sexy as hell lol. She is currently taking a Masters in Hospitality (or something like that) course, and will be working on the Carnival Spirit early in the spring in Australia before returing to North America and taking over the Carnival Breeze from Matt.
Old Mar 13, 2016, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
John Barron of Seabourn
I second that... I've sailed with him twice and loved him.

Sophie on Seabourn is lovely too.

Almost all of the NCL cruise directors grate on my nerves but I liked Julie Valeriote.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 5:00 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Of course if you want to sail with a true hero then you might try to catch a cruise where Moss Hills is the cruise director. Moss Hills and his wife were musicians on the Oceanos when she sank 1991. Moss is given credit for organizing and managing the evacuation of the ship after the captain and crew basically abandoned the ship and passengers. Quite a story: http://www.oceanossinking.com/index.php?page_id=15 Last I heard Moss is with Silversea.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 8:32 am

Originally Posted by peteropny
Had him as CD before he went to Seabourn on Regent.

IMO, they're all rather interchangeable, but enjoyed Barry Hopkins though, on Regent think he went to Seabourn for a while but went back to Regent.
I though Barry was wonderful also. On the first WC of the Odyssey in 2010 he started something I had never seen. It was Conversations. He would host about 20 people in the boardroom and have a topic of the day that we would all discuss. It was brilliant. I was saddened to hear of his passing.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 8:42 am

We were on the Silversea Spirit in early January and Moss Hills was the cruise director. What a wonderful, talented and all around good guy. I would love to see him again. Eric DeGray was very good too. He was aboard the Seabourn Legend on our very first cruise years ago.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.