Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Need Advice on Leaving a Princess Cruise mid cruise

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2016, 12:01 am
Original Poster

Need Advice on Leaving a Princess Cruise mid cruise

I need some expert advice. I booked a 10 day ( and paid for it) and now I have a family issue that requires me back after 7 days. I know I can apply for a deviation but it can be denied. Any ideas on how to get the change approved? other strategies?
Old Feb 8, 2016, 12:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Call/write Princess customer service and tell them. As long as your departure mid cruise doesn't contravene the PVSA (e.g., embarking at a U.S. port and disembarking at another U.S. port), and you're willing to pony up the gratuities due among other things, it should be no problem.

Saw quite a few people getting off a Princess cruise at Victoria, BC (coming up from California) rather than continue to Vancouver only to be booted off the next morning.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 1:03 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
They can't really prevent you from leaving the ship. There might be customs issues if you leave in a foreign country, though, requiring inspection of your baggage which would not routinely be available.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

related btw, silversea "personalized voyages" allow custom itinerary as long as 5 nights, and 2 countries (or some kind of round trip?)
Old Feb 8, 2016, 7:47 am

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
It also depends on your itinerary and cabotage laws. You will not get any money back from the cruise line as Princess sold it as a 10 day cruise. if its an Alaska cruise and you boarded in Seward and want to get off early in Kethcikan that would be forbidden due to Jones Act. The only way they would let you disembark is due to medical emergency.

What is the itinerary?
Old Feb 8, 2016, 7:55 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Cabotage and Jones Act all prevent the sale and thus marketing of the tickets for certain routes. Nobody can prevent you from disembarking other than for safety or security reasons, e.g., they can prevent you from diving off the ship or they may even skip a scheduled stop if it's unsafe.

You may face Customs and other issues depending on where you boarded and where you disembark, but in the end, if you want off, you get off.

For those reasons, the cruise line will facilitate your effort.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 8:26 am

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
For arguements sake if this is an Alaska itinerary and he says he wants to get off before the ship arrives in Canada, Princess will NOT allow this. They would be fined, heavily, if they did. In any case Pincess will not refund any money for the unused 3 days. Why would they, they could have sold that cabin to someone else for the full 10 day cruise. I am speaking from personal experience.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 8:43 am

Programs: BAEC G, WN A-, Hyatt G, HH G, MAR T, Hz PC, was [UA2P, FL A+Elite, BD G]
Originally Posted by theadmiral
I need some expert advice. I booked a 10 day ( and paid for it) and now I have a family issue that requires me back after 7 days. I know I can apply for a deviation but it can be denied. Any ideas on how to get the change approved? other strategies?
Years ago I took a Princess cruise and decided that I wanted to leave the ship for 3 days mid-cruise. I called Princess directly and (after making sure that my plans would not break any cabotage-type laws) they sent me a form to fill out and fax back to them. Unless things have changed recently, you should be fine (again, assuming your plans don't involve cabotage or PVSA issues).
Old Feb 8, 2016, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Two years ago, we boarded the Celebrity Reflection in Rome and downlined in Athens after 8 days. (itinerary for days 9-11 did not interest us) Celebrity granted permission without hassle at T-30 days. Upon dismbarkation, we immediately cabbed to the airport and flew to Berlin.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

there is past discussion on this, cant recall whether fines levied against cruiseline can be passed on to pax
Old Feb 9, 2016, 9:14 am

Programs: Delta, American, United, Virgin Atlantic, BA, JetBlue, SW, etc.
Ship Deck Plans--including crew areas

I'm a bestselling writer and my current novel involves a cruise ship mystery. I am a frequent cruiser and know ships well, but I now need a deck plan that shows crew areas so my crew characters can move about in an accurate way.
(I'm a stickler for accurate details.)
Can't find any such thing online, so far, for obvious security reasons. Any modern cruise ship will do, name doesn't matter. Ideas?
Old Feb 9, 2016, 1:42 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by Pavane
I'm a bestselling writer and my current novel involves a cruise ship mystery. I am a frequent cruiser and know ships well, but I now need a deck plan that shows crew areas so my crew characters can move about in an accurate way.
(I'm a stickler for accurate details.)
Can't find any such thing online, so far, for obvious security reasons. Any modern cruise ship will do, name doesn't matter. Ideas?
Yes: Have your agent contact a cruiseline, and ask for a behind-the scenes tour. Should be quite easy since you are a famous author.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by cruisr
For arguements sake if this is an Alaska itinerary and he says he wants to get off before the ship arrives in Canada, Princess will NOT allow this. They would be fined, heavily, if they did. In any case Pincess will not refund any money for the unused 3 days. Why would they, they could have sold that cabin to someone else for the full 10 day cruise. I am speaking from personal experience.
The fine isn't that much, $300 per person, and yes, they can bill this to the passenger. If you need to leave, you can leave, they aren't going to physically prevent you.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 12:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by Often1
Cabotage and Jones Act all prevent the sale and thus marketing of the tickets for certain routes.
Jones pertains to freight/cargo. PVSA (Passenger Vessel Services Act) pertains to passenger transportation. Both have the same effect (though PVSA says no U.S.-U.S. transportation without a "distant foreign port" destination).
Old Feb 16, 2016, 9:31 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, AmEx, NorthWest WorldPerks, Jelly of the Month. S&H Green Stamps, Subway sub club
In the same train of thought, apologies if this seems like an attempt to "hijack" this thread but...What happens to those people on shore excursions who literally miss the boat and it departs? I'm assuming the cruise line has no liability but what happens to those people? Do they just have to fly home? How about the things left in their cabin?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.