Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Cruises
Reload this Page >

Oceanwide Expeditions - American paying in Euros v. dollars?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2015, 9:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist

Hello-

I am considering booking a cruise of the South Atlantic (South Georgia Island, Ascension, etc.) on the M/V Plancius with a Dutch company, Oceanwide Expeditions.

I notice that when I pull up their website in the USA, the lowest price (sharing a quadruple cabin) is $7250.

I'm vacationing in Europe this week, when I visit their web page from Europe, the quoted price for the same trip is 5450 Euros. With today's exchange rate, that's under $5800.

I think they published their dollar/Euro prices 2+ years in advance and then have never changed them.

I'm an American passport holder, I live in the USA and will probably return there before I'm ready to book/pay.

Has anyone ever had any experience paying in Euros for cruises as an American? Is this something they would let me do if I'm up front with them or will some "finesse" be required here? If you think they would require dollar payment, is this determined by IP address, passport nationality, or what?

Also, do you think a company like this would easily offer a 5% discount off the list price if I book directly. I see the same trip offered by affiliates and tour agents, like birdwatching groups, also in Euros. Surely they would have to pay those agents a commission and could reduce their own expenses if I book directly.

Any advice on getting the lowest price and taking advantage of the exchange rate appreciated.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 9:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
It's a Dutch company; I don't see why they wouldn't accept payment in Euros. Just use a VPN to sign in from Europe. Hopefully you have a forex free card?

Alternatively, email or call them and get a quote in Euros.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 10:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Yes, I definitely have a forex free card.

Doing a bit of googling, it seems that some cruise companies may have rules requiring you to pay in currency of your credit card residence.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=1119

I don't know, I've never booked a cruise before.

Fooling around with tunnelbear, it seems their website quotes prices in Euros if you visit from Europe or the UK, they quote in dollars for everyone else. They are basically using a rate of 1.33 dollars to Euro.

Last edited by jphripjah; Nov 28, 2015 at 11:02 pm
Old Nov 28, 2015, 11:35 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by jphripjah
Yes, I definitely have a forex free card.

Doing a bit of googling, it seems that some cruise companies may have rules requiring you to pay in currency of your credit card residence.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=1119

I don't know, I've never booked a cruise before.

Fooling around with tunnelbear, it seems their website quotes prices in Euros if you visit from Europe or the UK, they quote in dollars for everyone else. They are basically using a rate of 1.33 dollars to Euro.
How about contacting a European TA to have then book it for you in Euros?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.