Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NCL Breakaway - Freestyle Cruising Advise

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2015, 8:14 am
Original Poster

NCL Breakaway - Freestyle Cruising Advise

Hi Everyone, just thought I share some advise regarding taking an NCL freestyle cruise. Recently, my husband and I cruised on NCL breakaway from NY to Bermuda. Big and beautiful ship. The entertainment was truly the highlight! Amazing and truly broadway productions from Rock of Ages, Cirque Jungle to Burn the Floor (Ballroom Dancing Show) were all amazing.

Some advise and tips.
1. Book your dinners at restaurants prior to boarding the ship. You can book online and select from all the different restaurants and times you would like to eat for the whole duration of the cruise. Keep in mind, you can always change it once your on the ship but it's definitely worth doing ahead of time so that you don't have to wait for a table. Some of the restaurants charge but others do not. The Manhattan room is not an additional charge, it's an everyday type of restaurant with dance floor and a band playing every night.

2. Book the shows, prior to boarding. These shows have to be booked, you can't just show up or you will be on a waiting list. You definitely don't want to miss any of the shows. So book ahead of time to avoid any disappointments.

3. Formal Night! On an 8 day cruise there was only 1 formal night, it was optional and there wasn't much notice that there was even a formal night. In fact, my husband and I missed it! Since their all about freestyle cruising and people don't want to dress up and everyone can do whatever they like, formal night was not really advertised. When I checked the NCL daily itinerary, I didn't see it in there either. Apparently, it was part of an event called Night Out. If you like taking formal pictures, like my husband and I, I strongly recommend that you keep an eye out for "Night Out" or better yet, ask the front desk/cruise director when the formal night is.

4. Spa Time! If you like to enjoy the spa, always keep in mind, there are always deals/reduced prices on spa treatments when your docked in port and last night prior to the end of the cruise.

5. Have Fun! Make the most of your cruise by exploring the ship, taking in the shows, going on excursions and just enjoying some R&R.

I hope you find these tips interesting and helpful.
Cruise on!
Old Nov 6, 2015, 8:20 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, AmEx, NorthWest WorldPerks, Jelly of the Month. S&H Green Stamps, Subway sub club
Originally Posted by trish8
Hi Everyone, just thought I share some advice regarding taking an NCL Freestyle cruise. Recently, my husband and I cruised on NCL breakaway from NY to Bermuda. Big and beautiful ship. The entertainment was truly the highlight! Amazing and truly Broadway productions from Rock of Ages, Cirque Jungle to Burn the Floor (Ballroom Dancing Show) were all amazing.

Some advice and tips:
1. Book your dinners at restaurants prior to boarding the ship. You can book online and select from all the different restaurants and times you would like to eat for the whole duration of the cruise. Keep in mind, you can always change it once you're on the ship but it's definitely worth doing ahead of time so that you don't have to wait for a table. Some of the restaurants charge but others do not. The Manhattan room is not an additional charge, it's an everyday type of restaurant with dance floor and a band playing every night.

2. Book the shows, prior to boarding. These shows have to be booked, you can't just show up or you will be on a waiting list. You definitely don't want to miss any of the shows. So book ahead of time to avoid any disappointments.

3. Formal Night! On an 8 day cruise there was only 1 formal night, it was optional and there wasn't much notice that there was even a formal night. In fact, my husband and I missed it! Since they're all about freestyle cruising and people don't want to dress up and everyone can do whatever they like, formal night was not really advertised. When I checked the NCL daily itinerary, I didn't see it in there either. Apparently, it was part of an event called Night Out. If you like taking formal pictures, like my husband and I, I strongly recommend that you keep an eye out for "Night Out" or better yet, ask the front desk/cruise director when the formal night is.

4. Spa Time! If you like to enjoy the spa, always keep in mind, there are always deals/reduced prices on spa treatments when your docked in port and last night prior to the end of the cruise.

5. Have Fun! Make the most of your cruise by exploring the ship, taking in the shows, going on excursions and just enjoying some R&R.

I hope you find these tips interesting and helpful.
Cruise on!
And welcome to Cruise Critic, er, I mean, um...FlyerTalk.
Old Nov 6, 2015, 9:24 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by DaveBlaine
And welcome to Cruise Critic, er, I mean, um...FlyerTalk.
+1, LOL
Old Nov 8, 2015, 3:15 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
Welcome to FT - first post, too

Anything related to flying into NY area, ground transport to/from Pier 88 to share. BDA season for cruising is over for 2015, flying is a year-round option, LOL. @:-)

Cruisecritic's NCL forum always welcome these reviews - see ya over there with a re-post. Folks loved photos & dailies uploaded for sharing over at CC, but there's a lot of changes happening so us being Platinum members aren't all "pleased" with the extra fees, nickels & dimes, etc. (becoming somewhat like no-frills Ryan's Air on high seas ...)

What was the single best meal for 2 of you - entrees - for your 7 nights, besides prime rib (boneless roast) as that's now becoming a surcharge item and whole cold water lobster is back $$ too, plus 18% gratuity on top of DSC. Always loved to read about newbie's perspective on CC, another division within the broad FT forum.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 7:55 am
Original Poster

No advise on flying into NY, as we just take a car service to the pier from NJ.

We too, did not like all the extra charges for everything. I felt we were paying extra for everything. We have gone on over 20 cruises and our favorite still remains as Carnival. It's a fun ship and the shows are great too.

As for the best meals, I would have to say that overall the food on NCL was very good. Even the buffet at the lido deck felt more gourmet then just your typical buffet type food. My favorite meal in Manhattan room was the Pasta Carbonara and my husband's would be the NY Strip steak. Favorite dessert was the Tiramisu!
Old Nov 25, 2015, 4:35 am

Programs: AY Plus, Eurobonus, Flying Blue
Originally Posted by Letitride3c
Anything related to flying into NY area, ground transport to/from Pier 88 to share. BDA season for cruising is over for 2015, flying is a year-round option, LOL. @:-)
Taking a cab to pier 88 is easy, but if you don't have too many luggages just ask the driver to leave a one or two blocks before the pier, as the queue to the actual terminal building will take a lot of time when all passengers are arriving.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.