Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Cruises
Reload this Page >

Transatlantic Crossing

Transatlantic Crossing

Old Jul 30, 2016, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
I did a ~13 day eastbound TPAC in March that had a 9 hour change (UTC+8 to UTC-7). Time change was done every day at 1600, and dinner was at 1800, so it was like eating at 1700 every day of the time changes, which was front-loaded so most of the time changes came in the first week. All for the convenience of the crew.

I find it much easier on a ship with daily hourly changes than being dumped on Europe after a TATL with your arrival at midnight at your place of departure. If there was a fast sea voyage from the west coast U.S. to western Europe, I'd do it.
Old Aug 4, 2016, 3:28 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK, DL, IHG Diamond, HHonours Gold, Hertz Presidents Club
My Mum and Dad are big cruisers, hear about them a lot when I see them! They would equivalent of BAEC life time gold with Cunard (not that you get huge benefits with cruise loyalty programmes)

If you want to cross the Atlantic in the old fashion 'silver service' style, akin to the Titanic etc then only Cunard offer this. Whilst the other Cunard ships (Victoria, Elizabeth) are just off the peg ships. The QM2 is a bespoke ocean liner and the only one of its kind left. Not quite a streamlined as the QE2 but designed to take the north Atlantic in mid winter.
Old Sep 9, 2016, 7:28 pm

On 10/06/2017 Regent has an 11 day TA from Lisbon to New York and includes free business air to Lisbon....great pricing...
Old Sep 10, 2016, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

seabourn still has amazing deals TATL (although can be similar deals elsewhere)

regent prices are crazily high now (makes their best suite a good deal actually)
Old Sep 10, 2016, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
seabourn still has amazing deals TATL (although can be similar deals elsewhere)
There was a crossing priced for about USD 120 pp pd a few years back which would have been interesting. Not sure how comfortable a TATL on a small ship would have been in early/mid December however (sailed across on the Prinsendam a few weeks earlier and it was rough - and the Prinsendam is 6x larger by GRT than the Seabourne ship doing that run).
Old Sep 10, 2016, 3:13 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
No matter what the line, repositioning cruises - esp TATL - seem to have some of the lowest per diems of any options offered by that line. I've definitely been eyeing them over the years. Haven't bitten yet - not enough time in the year to do all I want -but would love to get on a luxury line at a premium line price.

Husband shares the same concern about how enjoyable that many sea days on a small Seabourn ship in the Atlantic might be (and I'm the one who gets seasick! But I have drugs for that)

Have also considered doing a TATL crossing instead of flying back after a vacation (we're on the east coast of the US which makes it somewhat easier to consider). Have (retired) friends who do that regularly - hey, a crossing on the Queen Mary 2 is cheaper than business class seats. Could be even cheaper than coach, depending on specifics, so....
Old Sep 10, 2016, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
I'll be doing the Seabourn Quest spring crossing again in 2017. The one this spring was amazing - very relaxing and only one day (very early on) where the seas were questionable. The rest of the time it was incredibly smooth and incredibly tranquil.
Old Sep 11, 2016, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

my seabourn pride crossing was a roller coaster with a rogue wave and apparently almost having to be mustered in case evacuation was necessary from galley fire

after that i was highly amused by complaints on silversea alaska when stabilizers off (and highly impressed by how effective stabilizers are)

Hoyaheel, seabourn sometimes matches TATL lows elsewhere

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
seabourn has $700/nt per couple for med right now
was previously as low as $500 (and $333 for TATL)
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cruis...l#post23326059
in 2006 i paid 8% single supplement on $2500 fare for 12 nights

follow link to see seabourn lows for a number of years

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Sep 17, 2016 at 7:42 am
Old Sep 16, 2016, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The low fares (~$1200 for 9 nts Lisbon to St Maarten IIRC) was on either the Legend or Spirit both of which have now apparently departed the fleet. The Odyssey, more than triple the size of either the Legend or Spirit according to Seabourn.com (pretty close to HAL's Prinsendam in GRT and maybe even longer), is making the TATL this December. Prices are high accordingly, $3900 for 12 nts as of now. Not sure if cruisers will like 10 whole sea days....
Old Sep 17, 2016, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

seabourn transatlantic was my first cruise, second was silversea alaska

i agree re size of ships, but that is because i am not a cruise person
(i want more of the book a cabin on yachts smaller than seadream)
Old Sep 17, 2016, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
The Odyssey, more than triple the size of either the Legend or Spirit according to Seabourn.com (pretty close to HAL's Prinsendam in GRT and maybe even longer), is making the TATL this December. Prices are high accordingly, $3900 for 12 nts as of now. Not sure if cruisers will like 10 whole sea days....
Odyssey is double (450 guests versus 220), not triple. The new Encore class ships will be larger but still slightly smaller than the HAL ships.

The Spring transatlantics on Quest have 11 sea days (9 consecutive) and it was perfect last year (and will be this year too)!
Old Sep 18, 2016, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by techgirl
Odyssey is double (450 guests versus 220), not triple. The new Encore class ships will be larger but still slightly smaller than the HAL ships.
Seabourne was measuring in GRT according to their blurb

Seabourn Odyssey is the first in a new-class of ships for Seabourn that accommodates just 450 guests in 225 luxury suites. Although, at 32,000 GRT, Seabourn Odyssey is more than triple the size of Seabourn Spirit and Seabourn Legend,
Does result in a lot more room as the base cabins in the older now-departed ships weren't exactly spacious compared to the newer ones.

These new ships are smaller than HAL's Prinsendam (nearly 39,000 GT) and a tad shorter. The Prinsendam (ex-Royal Viking Sun) did actually spend part of her career as the Seabourn Sun.
Old Sep 25, 2016, 7:48 am

Programs: VIA Rail - Premier, Fairmont, Cunard - Diamond, AC - Mere mortal
Between the now-retired Queen Elizabeth 2 and the Queen Mary 2 we have done a dozen Atlantic crossings on Cunard and a few on other lines. As Cunard used to say in their adverts: its the only way to cross. Alas, we have usually had to fly one-way but that is a compromise worth making in order to enjoy the traditional crossing. We have travelled in every class on Cunard ships except for parcel post.

Princess Grill and Queens Grill are not in our budget, but we have received two fabulous upgrades and there are frequent sales. So we have enjoyed this luxury five times on crossings. But even in the basic level (Britannia) it is an excellent way to cross the pond. The Grills and the Club offer one-sitting dining (with flexible times) and an enhanced menu. Britannia is open seating at breakfast and lunch and dinner is assigned: first or second sitting. The other differences between the fare categories has been written about at great length elsewhere so I wont elaborate.

The usual crossing time has been increased from five days to seven because of the cost of fuel. The QM2 was designed for a six-night crossing, but currently does it in seven unless there is an extra port of call en route, such as Halifax. The five-night crossings on the QE2 at 30 knots were quite exciting, but the trip seemed too short.

As others have said, the QM2 is a liner not a mere cruise ship. Only once did we experience unpleasant motion for one day and night. Some people moan about the class system, but in reality about 90% of the ship is open to all. The Grills passengers get a small amount of deck space and two small lounges in addition to the restaurant.

The entertainment programme is the most varied at sea. Unlike most cruise ships which have only pop music blaring at you everywhere, there is the complete range. There is usually a classical artist or group plus a string quartet and harpist. The Royal Academy of Dramatic Art graduates put on abridged plays and other entertainment. There is a pub and also a night club and the usual cruise-type big shows in the theatre. There are lectures on a variety of subjects. In short, there is something for everyone.

Cunard is dressy, but it is not necessary to bring actual formal clothes. The definition of formal has been dumbed down over the years. A man can, according to the definition, get by with a suit and tie. From our experience, I would say the percentage of men wearing tuxedos varies between 50% and 95%. Women dont need to dress like Cinderella going to the ball, but long dresses or cocktail dresses are the usual. On informal nights men require a jacket (tie optional) in the restaurants. There is a casual alternative to those who dislike this tradition. The buffet is always open but even then passengers are discouraged from dressing like slobs in the evening.

Cunard has recently changed the system for advancing clocks on eastbound crossings. The time now changes by one hour at 12:00 noon on five of the days. On westbound crossings the time is retarded one hour during the night, as usual. These time changes are not stressful to the majority of people. It is certainly more civilised than the shock to the system experienced by flying.
Old Sep 25, 2016, 1:22 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Thanks for your review, DM: If you have been in GrillClass, can you tell us whether that was much more formal than the rest of the boat? How long does it take to dine there? Did you do the complete room service in Grill? Thanks...
Old Oct 22, 2016, 10:24 am

Programs: Delta, United, AA and BA/Marriott
I love TA and sometimes have done round trips without even leaving the ship.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.