Reload this Page >

Alaska Cruise

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alaska Cruise

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2015, 8:09 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
My first cruise on HAL was when I was 13, and my husband and I cruised on it starting in our 30s. For us it's great - as I mentioned, we don't care about nightclubs etc. I didn't find it "geriatric" -I found it calm, relaxing, and exactly what I wanted. I like formal nights (yes, even in Alaska). I like fixed seatings for dinner. I don't want to be surrounded by hundreds of children at the pool.

Which is why I said it's important to know what your own priorities are for a vacation, and then learn about the personalities of the various cruiselines to find a good match^

(and yes, over the past few years, HAL is definitely trying to bring in new younger customers & families, and it's true that Alaska in general will be "younger" because it can be an active vacation, all trips are in the summer when kids are out of school, etc)

On the other hand, I am quite an introvert, and all I want from a cruise ship in Alaska is a balcony where I can sit with my binoculars, camera, and glass of wine We were out on our balcony more than almost anyone we saw (or spoke with at dinner) and consequently we saw a great deal more wildlife than other passengers...You have to be outside & looking to see it!
Old Oct 2, 2015, 1:03 pm
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
In a similar situation as you, we chose Crystal Cruises for our Alaska trip next summer. They will be running a few 7-day, one-way sailings between Vancouver and Anchorage (or the reverse), as well as some round-trips. (We went for a 7-day, Vancouver to Anchorage.)

It's a higher-end line (which we wanted), so will cost more. But it comes with many inclusions that would cost extra on the bigger lines. And, as a medium-sized ship, it seems you will get better glacier visits than a bigger ship might.

http://www.crystalcruises.com/alaska-cruises

If you have kids in the group, the Crystal Family Memories program is a deal (we got it), including free kids:

http://www.crystalcruises.com/OfferD...d=VDETAIL-6314.

Just something to consider if you have the budget.
Old Oct 2, 2015, 9:26 pm

Choosing a cruise line for Alaska is daunting for a first time great northern cruiser. You can go from mass market to ultra lux. HAL and Princess really started the Alaska cruises and have a great history in the region. They specialize in land tours as well. But the Royal Caribbean family including Celebrity also offers land trips.
I also recommend an inland passage sailing for all of the above mentioned reasons. I prefer the southbound on Celebrity. Sailing from Seward you enter Hubbard Glacier in the afternoon when the likelihood of fog is diminished and sailing within a couple hundred feet of a calving glacier wall is enhanced. It's a marvelous experience.
Anchorage (Seward or Whittier) is 1,300 miles north of Vancouver which makes your trip home far more bearable if you sail southbound. Every American carrier flies into YVR. Some train, bus or rent-a-car to Seattle. But Vancouver is a wonderful place to visit too.
We no longer sail on either HAL or Princess. We prefer the ambiance of Celebrity in particular. While we prefer Celebrity for food and on board life Royal Caribbean does offer family accommodations too.
Cruise Critic does offer the best advice for world wide cruising. I have been a member for years too. I did note one poster mentioning forbidden topics. The only major no no is referring to travel agents by company (or sales persons) by name. Respectful language is another point on the boards. There are also frequent comparisons of cruise lines.
I encourage you to contact a cruise travel agent. They can be your first line for information and often have offers not available directly with the cruise lines.
Alaska is a wonderland and I hope your family finds the adventure worthwhile.
Old Oct 4, 2015, 9:15 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
The OP didn't mention the age range of their family, but if children are included then Disney at least deserves a look. Pricey, but incredible service, complimentary child care, the only fireworks at sea, etc.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 10:32 am

I'm curious what the precentages are on making it close to Hubbard. I've only done one cruise that had Hubbard, and we didn't get anywhere near it (had fog that slowed us down for a while, then eventually reached a point where ice was a barrier, and we were still quite some distance away - like miles). I don't know what the percentages are, but I've certainly gotten the impression that it's not necessarily uncommon not to get that close to it, so I don't think I'd want to do a cruise where that was the only glacier viewing experience.

Glacier bay seems to be far more of a sure thing (although I know it's not 100% either, although it's typically weather and not ice that can keep ships out of there and I don't think it's a common issue that causes weather to prevent it), so I'd personally look for itineraries that include it.

Tracey Arm can also be problematic, especially depending on the time of the year, it's not uncommon for ice to cause problems there.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 11:17 pm

I have sailed to Alaska about six times. My favorite was a May cruise leaving from Vancouver. The scenery on the first day and the last day is better from Vancouver since you are going through the inside passage rather than to the west Vancouver Island as Seattle cruises do. Earlier in the season May or June is nice because there is a lot of daylight
Old Nov 19, 2015, 12:44 pm

Programs: WN CP/AL, UA 1P, PC Plat, AA, DL, US, AK, HH, MR, OH, LQ, RD (thanks GSA City-Pair Prog/DTS)
Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman
The OP didn't mention the age range of their family, but if children are included then Disney at least deserves a look. Pricey, but incredible service, complimentary child care, the only fireworks at sea, etc.
Our Disney Wonder Alaska cruise is one of our favorites, right up there with Disney Magic in the Mediterranean and in Northern Europe. It goes out of Vancouver, so air fare direct from the States can be a bit expensive. We flew into Seattle a few days before and enjoyed some sightseeing. On the morning of the cruise we drove up to the port on our own and returned the rental car in Vancouver. In Juneau, I would highly recommend the helicopter to Mendenhall Glacier with dog sledding.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 1:06 am

We did a southbound cruise out of Seward on RCCL Radiance of the seas in June. We had an fantastic trip and I can definitely recommend the ship and itinerary, which included Hubbard glacier, Juneau, Skagway, Icy Strait point, Ketchikan. In every port there is some interesting to do. We did whale watching in Juneau and Icy Strait point which was amazing. If you have the time I can recommend spending a few days in Alaska pre or post cruising.
Old Dec 20, 2015, 9:17 pm

Programs: AS
An Alaska cruise from Vancouver is far superior than one from Seattle. The inside passage is a more scenic, calmer voyage for sure.

If you are into seeing glaciers up close (relatively), then try to choose a smaller ship. If you are into events, cruise ship amenities etc, then one of the larger vessels will suit you better. You may also want to look into what ships are in the Alaskan ports each day (they have a schedule posted ahead of time) to gauge how busy the tours/towns will be when you visit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.