Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cruise noob - where to start?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2015, 5:55 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by mumum17
Thank you all or this very informative thread. I personally like to do everything DIY and the conversation here should really be read by not only newbies to the cruise world but even the semi-newbies like me.

Randy47, any chance you could pm me your TA, if that is ok with you and them? Thank you.
Up and at it this morning. PM send with my travel agency information.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by 12Mermaids
A few things I haven't seen mentioned (but admit to not reading every word):

1. When you decide what to book, you can make an initial payment, then pay for the remainder in installments (or just a downpayment and final payment). This helps consumers lock in lower rates by booking far in advance and helps the cruise lines assess inventory.

2. "Wave Season" is the big January through March sale on cruise fares. That's less important than in the old days, but still a good time to look.

3. Consider cruise lines or TAs that refund the difference from what you paid and the new, lower fare if the price drops after your final payment.

I took my first cruise this year and the process I followed incorporated a lot of the information pinniped has already received, with one additional research item (travel guides).

1. Used vacationstogo.com to find viable itineraries by date and desired location.

2. Researched cruise lines on cruisecritic.com, cruisemates.com, and using Fodor's travel guide to European cruises (checked it out of the library, but the Caribbean guide is on Amazon for $15.99).

Using the travel guide helped me answer a lot of questions about the different cruise lines without having to talk to a travel agent.

3. Decided on the best cruise for me and checked prices on the cruise line's web site. That's the baseline the op is looking for, imo.

4. Posted on cruisecompete.com. Waited for offers.

5. Called two TAs (one local, one out-of-state used by a trade organization with whom I collaborate).

6. Called American Express Travel and Costco Travel. They are a nice "split-the-difference" option between a brick-and-mortar TA and booking on a web site.

7. Evaluated all offers and booked using the one that best suited my plans. Fyi, Costco Travel had the highest shipboard credit offer, which I found interesting. Who knew? It's hard to beat cashback, but shipboard credit is also free money--it's just money that has to be used on the cruise.

8. Deal with shore excursions after booking.

Most cruise lines allow you to book excursions up to 30 days before departure, so there is no need to tangle that aspect at the same time as booking the cruise. I'm not familiar with Caribbean cruise destinations, but in most places there are local companies offering almost identical excursions for less than the cruise line's prices. And, as you mentioned, you and your wife might find less touristy options to explore at each port. Imo, the only reasons to book excursions through a cruise line would be (1) exclusive access to something you really want to see/experience or (2) to avoid red-tape related to applying for your own visa for Russia or another red-tapey destination.

Good luck with all of this and have fun!
One more I don't recall seeing here: cruise line prices vary by country. You can go to the US website for a cruiseline and find a different cabin price than on their UK site. And there is nothing stopping you from booking with whichever one is cheapest. Be aware that cancelation charges and rules may differ from country to country, though. I haven't personally tried this, just read it on cruisecritic.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.