Wiki Posts
Search

Hawaii cruise

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2015, 5:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
Hawaii cruise

Any body got an good ideas of a good Hawaii cruise, inter island as we do not have passports, for approx. Jan ? Thanks all.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 6:37 pm

Programs: American, Hawaiian, United
All Hawaii Interisland cruises are great! I assume you're from the U.S. therefore you do not need a passport. If you are not from the US then you will of course need a passport.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 7:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Only game in town is NCL....
Old Jul 13, 2015, 7:35 pm

Programs: AA, Jet Blue, Unitedd, Delta, Hilton, Marriot
My wife and I took the Norwegian cruise lines, ship “Pride Of America” for our 40th anniversary in Oct 2012. Since they sail only inside of the United States, you don’t need a passport. Because they don’t leave the USA they are one of the only cruise ships to fly the American flag. This means they are required to have mostly American staff, instead of foreign staff.
The ship departs and returns to Honolulu after a seven day tour of some of Hawaii’s islands, Maui, Hilo on the big island of Hawaii, Kona, on the south side of the big island and lastly Kauai. The ship travels mainly at night and when it arrives in port, most people leave the ship for island tours. We rented cars on each island and planned our own itinerary. The ship is like a traveling hotel. We were off the ship, almost as much time as we were on the ship. So, if you are used to a regular cruise, you may be disappointed. There was not a lot of ship time to chill out. We loved it, it was our first trip to Hawaii and we wanted an overview of the islands. That’s exactly what we got. We are going to Maui this October and staying put in one place.
There is a web site the www.cruisecritic.com It has hundreds of reviews of “Pride Of America”. It will give you a good idea of what the cruise is about, good and bad. The only thing I would really recommend is to get a cabin with a balcony. The views are priceless.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

http://www.un-cruise.com/hawaiian-islands-cruises
something different

i would not recommend silversea, but theyve done transoceanic that included hawaii, and will do custom 5 night itineraries
Old Jul 14, 2015, 9:47 am

Programs: AA GLD (1MM), DL GLD, Marriott Plat, RCL D+, X Elite
A colleauge of mine just returned from an NCL Pride of America cruise. As others have said, the ship is American flagged, you'll have mostly American crew, and no passport required. He really enjoyed the cruise. Didn't do any organized excursions, just rented a car in each port and did one chopper ride.

My sense is that NCL's American-flagged operation had a rough start initially, but they have invested in training and service. I'd like to try it sometime myself. Enjoy your cruise!!
Old Jul 14, 2015, 9:59 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. This will also be our 40th & we are looking @ Pride of America. We've been to several of the islands many years ago.

If other folks have more, keep them coming. Thanks.

Oh one other thing did you all use a travel agent or cruise line direct ? I'm retired airline but have little to no experience with cruises.

Last edited by coachrowsey; Jul 14, 2015 at 10:02 am Reason: Added last paragraph.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 6:15 pm

Programs: AA, Jet Blue, Unitedd, Delta, Hilton, Marriot
We did use a travel agent to book our 40th anniversary cruise. We had never been on a cruise before and did know not what questions to even ask. She was able to gauge what we were looking for in a cruise and help us find the right cabin. Our cabin was on the same level as the restaurants and pool. I guess, there are some cabin locations that have problems. She was also able to get us a cabin that was slightly larger than others of the same price bracket, due to the ship contours. It was still pretty small, but it had a huge balcony.
The travel agent was very helpful in helping us make decisions. After the cruise, we thought she was right on in her advice. I’m glad I listened to her. I don’t know if it cost more for our trip. I kind of think the agent got her commission from the cruise line, rather than us. Maybe someone is more knowledgeable in that area.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 10:50 am

Smile

With those requirements, seems like you have only one option: with Norwegian.
Old Jul 16, 2015, 12:56 am

Princess has a Hawaii cruise that they run from San Francisco several times a year. There is one January 19, 2016.
Old Jul 16, 2015, 6:22 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, I will look into that one.
Old Jul 17, 2015, 10:09 am

Programs: AA GLD (1MM), DL GLD, Marriott Plat, RCL D+, X Elite
Be advised that Princess cruise includes a stop in Mexico to comply with US law (either Jones Act or PVSA...I always confuse the two). But...since it is closed loop, begins and ends at the same US port, you can travel with a birth certificate. Should be fine, just something to be aware of.

This is straight from Princess.com.

"US citizens traveling on U.S. roundtrip or “closed-loop” voyages may also travel with an original certified birth certificate presented together with a valid government-issued photo identification. These voyages include:

Alaska roundtrip from San Francisco or Seattle (roundtrip Seattle cruisetours excluded)
Canada/New England roundtrip from New York
Caribbean roundtrip from Ft. Lauderdale, New York or Houston
Hawaii roundtrip from Los Angeles and San Francisco
Mexico roundtrip from Los Angeles or San Francisco
Panama Canal roundtrip from Ft. Lauderdale"
Old Jul 17, 2015, 11:26 am

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
Disney also cruises to/from Hawaii, once a year.
Old Jul 17, 2015, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
May I add my vote for NCL -Pride of America. My wife and I went for our 30th Anniversary and absolutely loved it. Can fully recommend. No passports needed.

Last edited by GRALISTAIR; Jul 20, 2015 at 7:19 am
Old Jul 19, 2015, 2:48 pm

January is the month for Hawaii cruise

January is the month for a Hawaii cruise.
NCL's Pride of America is intra island itinerary from/to Honolulu.
In January, there are other options with Princess and Carnival. Depending on your departure port (if west coast base), the cost is more effective than flying to Hawaii.

http://shop.cruisedeals.com/cs/forms...0%7C999&sort=6

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.