Wiki Posts
Search

Transpacific cruises

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2015, 6:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: FB LT Plat, BA LTG, LH HON
Transpacific cruises

In potentially one of the least appropriate topics for FT, I am planning on doing a 'Round the Northern hemisphere' without flying, likely to be in 2017. I will obviously need to cross the Pacific, either from China or Japan to Canada/US. (QM for the Atlantic)

Do the learned denizens of this forum have a view on the best cruise company to look at? I'm more of a quiet traveller than a wild party animal.

Thanks in advance
Old Apr 17, 2015, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
For cruises like transatlantics and transpacifics, because they are longer and usually at times when kids are in school, they tend to be less rowdy or party filled, even on lines that might typically be a bit more lively. For example my first transatlantic was on Royal Caribbean, a mass market line that markets heavily to families. I would say the average age on the ship that cruise was in the low 70s, and that is not atypical for a long, one-way cruise.

Because transpacifics are not as common as transatlantics, especially northern transpacifics (which is what you want), your selection may be limited.

At that point it comes down to amenities on ships, size of ships, and cost.

Instead of choosing a cruiseline first, I would take a look at what is available in your desired time period, then ask about specific cruises and ships.

For time periods to look at, you are most likely to see a transpacific in the direction you want in April-June.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 8:27 am

I could only come up with Celebrity and Princess. I've sailed on Celebrity and enjoyed it! I would go to cruisecritic.com and see if there are any reviews for these sailings to get an idea of what to expect.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Would you be averse to taking a cruise on a container ship?

https://www.freightercruises.com/voy...p#transpacific
Old Apr 17, 2015, 12:34 pm

Programs: DL Gold, DL MM 8/22/16!
If you haven't already, you might just try a simple search on "transpacific cruises".

I see all sorts of interesting options there.

Romelle
Old Apr 17, 2015, 10:04 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
you might try Holland America...IIRC...
Old Apr 18, 2015, 5:06 am

Most people's mindset is for big cruise ships - over 1500 passengers and lots to do on board. That isn't what I like at all. I go for luxury expedition ships with about 100 passengers. There is no organised entertainment but you do get to meet all your like-minded, well-travelled fellow passengers and you also get to visit some extraordinary places, the sort of remote locations that big ships just cannot reach. The expedition ships have an expert team aboard as well as a fleet of zodiac landing craft so you can get ashore without the need for any kind of pier or jetty.

There are a few ships in this admittedly expensive, niche market which regularly cross the Pacific. There is, for instance, a tried and tested route from Japan up through the Kamchatka Peninsula, across to the Aleutian Islands and then to Alaska and ending usually in Vancouver. Other trips run across from Japan to Micronesia, Polynesia and all the way to Pitcairn and Easter Island.

Companies to look for are Silversea Expeditions, Zegrahm Expeditions, Lindblad, Hapag-Lloyd (Germany) and Noble Caledonia (UK).

Here's a link to a typical expedition cruise:

http://www.noble-caledonia.co.uk/voy...earch_url_id=4

Friends have done this and regarded it as the best trip they have ever done. I've crossed the Pacific - from PNG to Easter Island - on this ship when it was called the Clipper Odyssey.

Last edited by Pausanias; Apr 18, 2015 at 5:11 am
Old Apr 18, 2015, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Pausanias
I go for luxury expedition ships with about 100 passengers.

Silversea Expeditions
need more yachts that take individual cabin reservations

re silversea, their "personalized voyages" allow you to pick any embark/disembark, as long as 2 countries or round trip and 5 nights, that kind of thing can be especially useful for transoceanic and other 'transit' type trips
Old Apr 20, 2015, 8:22 am
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
Would you be averse to taking a cruise on a container ship?

https://www.freightercruises.com/voy...p#transpacific
We did this some years ago (Auckland to SF) and had a marvelous time. It is, however, utterly different from the cruise experience. We were the only paid passengers, had the run of the ship including the bridge and engine room, ate with the officers (good but rather plain - but hearty - food) and had to rely on our own resources for the 22 days we spent at sea. We stopped in Fiji for three days (was supposed to be one) but otherwise didn't see another vessel except once (and it was close to the horizon) until we approached the Golden Gate Bridge. Watched movies, read, listened to the shortwave, walked around the deck. They let my wife drive the boat for an hour or so until she had us heading to Mexico instead of California, so they took back the wheel. Around US$90 per day per person, would do it again in a minute.

Ship arriving at Auckland -

At port in Suva -

Public market at the Suva docks -

Sunset on the equator -

SF Bay pilot approaching, last night -

Old Apr 20, 2015, 9:43 am

Gardyloo: Thanks for post and pics. Can you provide information about the cabins? Private bathrooms? Bunk beds vs Queen? Laundry? Are the rooms serviced? Any fitness facility? Alcohol on board? Thanks!
Old Apr 20, 2015, 10:31 am
Moderator, OneWorld

Originally Posted by 747FC
Gardyloo: Thanks for post and pics. Can you provide information about the cabins? Private bathrooms? Bunk beds vs Queen? Laundry? Are the rooms serviced? Any fitness facility? Alcohol on board? Thanks!
Our cabin had an L-shaped sofa and table, a full size desk, a single bed in the main room, and a double bed in a separate bedroom, along with a 3/4 bath (shower, not tub.) Also a fridge. We had windows facing out to sea and forward (thus blocked by containers for the most part.) It was probably twice the size of "veranda" cabins we've occupied on conventional cruise ships. We had a steward who made the beds daily and changed linens every few days. Laundry was available - can't remember the cost but cheap - and you bought alcohol from the ship (at duty free prices) and they would provide setups. There was a stationary bike, a plunge pool (which we didn't use as it was unheated and prone to sloshing quite a bit) and a ping pong table. (The officers were German and Polish, the crew mostly Pacific islanders from Kiribati, where evidently ping pong is quite the pastime - they were good as well as able to balance on a moving deck.)
Old Apr 20, 2015, 4:19 pm

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Avis PC, National EE, Seabourn DE
Great story, pics. You forgot to mention no wi-fi. Important to know nationality of ships officers if you care about food. You were fortunate.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by Gardyloo
Our cabin had an L-shaped sofa and table, a full size desk, a single bed in the main room, and a double bed in a separate bedroom, along with a 3/4 bath (shower, not tub.) Also a fridge. We had windows facing out to sea and forward (thus blocked by containers for the most part.) It was probably twice the size of "veranda" cabins we've occupied on conventional cruise ships. We had a steward who made the beds daily and changed linens every few days. Laundry was available - can't remember the cost but cheap - and you bought alcohol from the ship (at duty free prices) and they would provide setups. There was a stationary bike, a plunge pool (which we didn't use as it was unheated and prone to sloshing quite a bit) and a ping pong table. (The officers were German and Polish, the crew mostly Pacific islanders from Kiribati, where evidently ping pong is quite the pastime - they were good as well as able to balance on a moving deck.)
Thanks for the info. Any pix?
Old Apr 21, 2015, 8:12 am
Moderator, OneWorld

Originally Posted by 747FC
Thanks for the info. Any pix?
Not easily come by, but not too different from the cabin pictured here.

Our ship was older (built in the 70s) and had, shall I say, a more "mid-century modern?" feel to it. But clean and shipshape.

You forgot to mention no wi-fi.
Right, and your phone is pretty useless too. Not a lot of cell towers in the middle of the Pacific Ocean.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 2:33 pm

I think that you need a travel agent. That way you can get someone who will find the right ship for you. I'm partial to Silversea and will do our first Seabourn cruise next summer. If you need the name of a TA that specializes in cruises, please let me know and I'll refer you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.