Living on a cruise ship for 7 years...

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2015, 2:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Tit, Hyatt Diamond, AA EXP, UA Silver, IHG Plat
Living on a cruise ship for 7 years...

Found this article entertaining:

http://www.thrillist.com/travel/nati...ip-for-7-years

An elderly woman has lived on a ship for 7 years, spending $164k per year. Not sure what this includes, but probably comes with unlimited shuffleboard.

I wonder how many nautical award miles she has accumulated?
Old Jan 20, 2015, 2:24 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
My wife and I took a week cruise last year and met a couple that were in the middle of 12 weeks of cruises. And I remember thinking what would you do after the first couple of weeks?

7 years on a cruise? (And actually another 3 before that.) All I can say is if you have the money and enjoy it, more power to her. ^
Old Jan 20, 2015, 2:30 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Let's forward this to the readers of FT's Cruises forum. I'll move it there. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
I have a few friends that spend most of the year on cruise ships, but usually not the same one. One friend just goes from ship to ship, usually staying on one ship for 5-6 months before switching ships. If he wants a break, he goes and visits one of the many friends he has around the world.

Part of me is ready to chuck it all and join them.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 5:49 pm

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Avis PC, National EE, Seabourn DE
I know of a few old ladies living aboard ships. It's a healthy lifestyle choice and not too costly.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 5:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Bonvoy Ambassador, HH Diamond,
Isn't there a residential cruise ship offering? Like a floating condo? Seem to recall reading about that some years ago.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by thom1033
Isn't there a residential cruise ship offering? Like a floating condo? Seem to recall reading about that some years ago.
ResidenSea.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 4:33 am

OMG!! 7 years on a cruise is not something I will be able to handle. I guess she loves water.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 10:23 am

The was a lady on Princess that lived onboard, generally one of the smaller R class ships, Lorraine Artz (my spelling could be quite off). I was in the cabin next to hers (she was in one of the aft suites on the ship) on one cruise. Real nice person from the brief time that I interacted with her, and you could tell the crew loved her (heck, when we docked in one port with another Princess ship, a number of crew came over to greet her when she got off the ship). I think she was well over 4000 days at sea, and was the godmother for the R class Royal Princess. I'm not sure she was paying full fare though, there were some rumors about her having owned land that Princess decided they wanted for their headquarters, or something like that.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 10:27 am

Programs: UA MM/Gold
I saw that article yesterday, came here and figured someone was going to link it.

I think it's pretty cool, if you can afford it. Changing ships/routes every so often would at least keep things fresh in the long run though.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by hedoman
I know of a few old ladies living aboard ships. It's a healthy lifestyle choice and not too costly.
$164,000/yr is not too costly?
Old Jan 21, 2015, 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by kyee
I saw that article yesterday, came here and figured someone was going to link it.

I think it's pretty cool, if you can afford it. Changing ships/routes every so often would at least keep things fresh in the long run though.
The ship would be like home for her now, but the nature of Crystal cruises means at least she is moving around the world. I like cruising, but I can't imagine more than a few weeks of 7 day Caribbean cruises out of Ft Lauderdale lol.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
For some, $14k a month may be as much as an upper end assisted living facility would cost so as long as one was in good health.

I've heard over at cruise critic that there was one woman who spent years (over a decade) at sea until forced onto shore and into a care home. No sure if her name was Beatrice Muller or someone else. I heard she had either spent 4,000 days (or perhaps even a multiple of that) nearly continuously on ships.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by kyee

That is my opinion too. I would try and go around the world in both directions and tick off ports of call and try to amass as many as possible. I would also break my trips up with some flying in between - e,g. change ship and get a flight to say Australia and board a ship there etc. Each to his/her own.
Old Feb 4, 2015, 8:17 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
This has been going on for quite a while going back to the late 1990's when a gal from NJ lived aboard the QE2. They can stay on year round but they do have to leave the ship when it goes into drydock. Also, most of these long term guests negotiate a rate (or have their TA negotiate) and I know some who have really gotten themselves a great deal and a better alternative to a retirement community.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.