Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Cruises
Reload this Page >

Living on a cruise ship for 7 years...

Living on a cruise ship for 7 years...

Old May 18, 2015, 6:03 am

Originally Posted by piper28
Heh, well, except for the meat grinder part, yeah, this is true. Obviously it's going to be somewhat correlated to the ship size, but these days with any fair sized ship, my understanding is that it's actually fairly normal to have a passenger die on any given sailing. A lot of people eating a lot of rich food they're not used to and getting a lot more exercise than they're used to. Makes for a bad combination.

I know one recent cruise I was on we had ambulances meet us at every port. I haven't been on a cruise that required an airlift off, although I know my parents have. I have been on a cruise that returned to port after leaving because of a medical emergency. But cruise ship captains must be miracle workers, because according to them, every time they update you on the evacuated passenger's status, they're always doing much better .
I knew there was a morgue on board cruise ships these days, and that it is not uncommon for a passengers to die (of natural causes) on board. I'd be happy if that's how I went

I am a big fan of transoceanic port-light cruises, so I wouldn't be surprised to see an airlift one of these days, especially since my current cruise line of choice has an average age of about 70 on those longer cruises.

The website cruiseshipdeaths.com is kind of interesting reading, but it's really maritime-related deaths (ferries and shore excursions from ships).
Old May 18, 2015, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by Calliopeflyer
I am a big fan of transoceanic port-light cruises, so I wouldn't be surprised to see an airlift one of these days, especially since my current cruise line of choice has an average age of about 70 on those longer cruises.
I would guess those are probably less likely to have airlifts to be honest. The issue there is that there's large portions of time on those types of cruises where the ship is simply out of range of helicopters, so even if they really needed to do an airlift, they probably can't. Which of course doesn't bode well for the person needing the airlift.
Old May 18, 2015, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by piper28
I would guess those are probably less likely to have airlifts to be honest. The issue there is that there's large portions of time on those types of cruises where the ship is simply out of range of helicopters, so even if they really needed to do an airlift, they probably can't. Which of course doesn't bode well for the person needing the airlift.
Yes, for days and days, there is often nothing within flying distance. For me, that's a big part of the appeal, and the "adventure". (Adventure in the sense of the unknown, because no matter what might be planned on a cruise - from the routing to the menu or the movie schedule - it all might change because of Mother Nature.)
Old May 19, 2015, 4:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Tit, Hyatt Diamond, AA EXP, UA Silver, IHG Plat
Yes, for days and days, there is often nothing within flying distance. For me, that's a big part of the appeal, and the "adventure". (Adventure in the sense of the unknown, because no matter what might be planned on a cruise - from the routing to the menu or the movie schedule - it all might change because of Mother Nature.)
Quick question Calliopeflyer. I assume you are going on repositioning cruises. Do you travel solo?

I ask because I'm considering a repo cruise, but would want the cruise line to waive the usual fee for traveling solo. Have you any experience with this?
Old May 19, 2015, 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by drewp123
Quick question Calliopeflyer. I assume you are going on repositioning cruises. Do you travel solo?

I ask because I'm considering a repo cruise, but would want the cruise line to waive the usual fee for traveling solo. Have you any experience with this?
Yes, I travel solo, and these were technically repositioning cruises, not the standard transatlantic cruises on Cunard. I have always paid the standard single supplement.....it never occurred to me to ask to have it waived. I can't imagine they would, anyway, as the ship was almost entirely booked on both my transoceanic cruises that I've taken in the last 3 years. I think on the transatlantic (spring 2012 Miami to Lisbon) there were less than a half dozen empty cabins, and on the transpacific (fall 2014 San Diego to Auckland) every cabin was booked. Both were on Crystal, and both had a single supplement of 30% or less on a window cabin.
Old May 20, 2015, 1:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Yes, I travel solo, and these were technically repositioning cruises, not the standard transatlantic cruises on Cunard. I have always paid the standard single supplement.....it never occurred to me to ask to have it waived. I can't imagine they would, anyway, as the ship was almost entirely booked on both my transoceanic cruises that I've taken in the last 3 years. I think on the transatlantic (spring 2012 Miami to Lisbon) there were less than a half dozen empty cabins, and on the transpacific (fall 2014 San Diego to Auckland) every cabin was booked. Both were on Crystal, and both had a single supplement of 30% or less on a window cabin.
30% is a very low single supplement. On some cruise lines (e.g. Princess), it is ~100%! In other words, you pay double (except for port taxes). But, I have sometimes taken short repositioning cruises on Princess where the sale prices essentially eliminated the single supplement. I look for these kinds of bargains on cruise fares.
Old May 20, 2015, 4:48 am

Originally Posted by KathyWdrf
30% is a very low single supplement. On some cruise lines (e.g. Princess), it is ~100%!
Right.....that's one of the reasons I looked to Crystal in the first place. Their single supplements are the lowest regular supplements in the industry, as far as I can see.......some lines have sales with lower or even no supplements, but on Crystal they apply to almost every cruise. Supplements for suites and "penthouse" cabins are more, and on very highly-sought-after cruises the supplement even on window cabins will be more too (for instance, their NWPassage cruise), but that's rare. Well, that's been the case in the past, but there are new owners now, so we'll see what the future holds.
Old May 20, 2015, 12:11 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
I was just on a cruise with the woman in the story. Her stateroom was remade for her to basically be a large closet. There are a couple of more women who also live on the Serenity. On Serenity there are always two doctors as part of fulltime crew, but sometimes three if the average passenger age is higher. You can count on about 10% of passengers being physicians as well. I know one passenger who performed emergency surgery on a cruise.
Old May 20, 2015, 8:32 pm

I know on the Crown Princess tilt cruise there were a fair number of paramedic types as passengers on the cruise, and a bunch of them ended up helping out with the injuries that were involved in that.
Old May 21, 2015, 3:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by l'etoile
I know one passenger who performed emergency surgery on a cruise.
That narrows it down...

"3 docs on a cruise ship" sounds like the intro to a bad joke.

Thanks for the data points.
Old May 26, 2015, 11:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
None. Holland America Ryndam.

Apparently, there was a murder-suicide the cruise before too.

http://blawgsearch.justia.com/tag/ryndam
Hey! That's ours cruise ships. This is Ms Ryndam. This is where we went on the cruise before. We went to Mexican Riveria. We went to SJD, MZT, and then PVR.
Old May 27, 2015, 12:42 am

i read this article too. its a viral article actually. well for me, getting on a cruise is OK for maximum 1 weeks straight. after that it gets really boring. i can go on a cruise probably 3x a year thats maximum. i will feel dizzy if it goes beyond that. i guess i'm a land person.
Old May 30, 2015, 12:14 pm

Programs: AS
I've considered living on a cruise ship like The World when I get older, but then I go on a cruise a couple of weeks ago and can't wait to get off.
Old May 31, 2015, 4:15 am

Originally Posted by drewp123

The best way IMO to get a discounted or a zero single supplement is to go to www.vacationstogo.com
click on "singles discounts" under the "more cruise deals" section on the left side of page. There are numerous cruises with a zero supplement.
FYI, do not click on "singles cruises", make sure you click "singles discounts"
Old Jul 14, 2015, 12:53 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Choice Elite Platinum
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
None. Holland America Ryndam.

Apparently, there was a murder-suicide the cruise before too.

http://blawgsearch.justia.com/tag/ryndam
I was on that cruise. The murder-suicide happened one floor below our cabin. The ship gave us very little information.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.