Wiki Posts
Search

Recent Regent Cruisers

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2014, 1:51 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Recent Regent Cruisers

Would appreciate comments from recent Regent cruisers as to quality of cruise, what you liked, what you didn't, etc.

Jim and I indulge in a Western Caribbean cruise out of and into Miami in January, 11 days. we'll be in a master suite (901) on Navigator. Pre- and post-cruise T the Four Seasons Miami.
Old Nov 15, 2014, 3:29 pm

Programs: Holder of six "persona non-grata" awards
Will this help at all:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/reviews/...cfm?ShipID=131

Originally Posted by KatW
Would appreciate comments from recent Regent cruisers as to quality of cruise, what you liked, what you didn't, etc.

Jim and I indulge in a Western Caribbean cruise out of and into Miami in January, 11 days. we'll be in a master suite (901) on Navigator. Pre- and post-cruise T the Four Seasons Miami.
Old Nov 15, 2014, 5:52 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Thank you!

Other impressions?
Old Nov 16, 2014, 6:51 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

We've been on some 15 Regent Cruises - but never on the Navigator, the Carribean, or in that high a cabin level.

Our last cruise was AMS-Monte Carlo on the Voyager in October 2014 - 14 nights. Short summary - food has declined somewhat over the years (their latest preoccupation is with sugar less desserts - does that mean no sweetener or "fake" sugar - no sight of caviar anywhere), shore excursions have become alot busier with most being included in the cruise fare, entertainment was really off this last cruise (only 4 production shows, 3-4 movie nights etc - not what you expect of a 14 night cruise - but the expert lecturer worked very hard (she lectured just about every day) and the cruise director also did the entertainment 2 nights (more than expected)). We like Regent because of the cabins are all the same from the lowest category H up through Concierge Level C (only Penthouses and up are different - we had a Penthouse B once on the Mariner) - this last cruise was in Concierge D (booked late since they offerred us a bump from the Navigator New England Cruise). Also, the open dining in the main dining room is much appreciated (dine whenever with whoever you want).

Feel free to ask for other specifics.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

consider the premium/private excursions, or booking your own
Old Nov 17, 2014, 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
consider the premium/private excursions, or booking your own
Premium excursions are YMMV - we've had the worst excursion ever on Corfu that was a paid excursion. Privately arranged one can be good if you know of a good guide otherwise it's YMMV too - we've not done that. The advantage of using a cruise line excursion is that they take responsibility for getting you back to the ship before it sails - no such responsibilities if you arrange the excursion privately.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 2:34 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Very helpful, peteropny, thank you. Some specific questions:

-- any classical music onboard?
-- are deck loungers easily found in shady areas?
-- is it easy to get in and out of pool? (Prefer walk-in, rotator-cuff injury)

Oh dear, regrettable regarding desserts; my heart is set on chocolate eclairs.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

no service recovery from upscale cruiselines for excursions booked through them?
ive read and heard that the excursions regent includes in fares are really crowded

one source for excursions is destination management companies (like virtuoso "onsites")
Old Nov 18, 2014, 8:18 am

Very helpful, peteropny, thank you. Some specific questions:

-- any classical music onboard?
-- are deck loungers easily found in shady areas?
-- is it easy to get in and out of pool? (Prefer walk-in, rotator-cuff injury)

Oh dear, regrettable regarding desserts; my heart is set on chocolate eclairs.
They usually have classical music as entertainment once or twice on a 7 day cruise but I avoid them since I find them rather mediocre and the performers usually have an attitude like they're the best in the world. This perspective is from a decent amateur musician though.

Shady lounge chairs in the pool area is usually pretty easy to get since they run along the full length of the pool deck on both the port and starboard sides. Not absolutely sure about the Navigator but I'm sure it's that way.

You know, I've never been in the pool but from my recollection, the whole pool is raised by a couple of steps so you can't just walk in - again I've not been on the Navigator.

Don't get me wrong there are desserts that are not sugar free but this last time they were pretty prominent.

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
no service recovery from upscale cruiselines for excursions booked through them?
ive read and heard that the excursions regent includes in fares are really crowded

one source for excursions is destination management companies (like virtuoso "onsites")
Well that disaster of a an excursion on Corfu was a self drive (in a caravan) off road adventure. The course was way too long (almost 100 km) and people were driving like maniacs on the dirt trails. We gave our comments but didn't pursue any compensation since it was paid for with ship board credits. Two other times we've complained and gotten transfers comped or future shipboard credits.

Yes, the "free" excursions can be quite crowded but they usually limit groups to about 30 per guide/bus. The bigger problem seems to be guide quality since they now need more guides at each port than before when less people went on the excursions because they were charged.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 7:31 am
Suspended

Why'd you pick the FS?

Is the pre/post associated with Regent, or are you just saying you're staying at FS pre/post on your own volition.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 12:07 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

No, pre- and post-cruise stays at FS/Miami not associated with Regent. I want to be close to Port of Miami and we don't care about being on a beach since we'll be 11 days in the Western Caribbean with grand beaches and sea views aplenty. Also, my AmEx points are paying for all three nights in a one-bedroom suite plus FHR bennies. Finally, this locale seems an excellent way to maximize avoidance of families with children.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by pricesquire
Why'd you pick the FS?

Is the pre/post associated with Regent, or are you just saying you're staying at FS pre/post on your own volition.
I would never do a pre/post hotel stay with Regent - the pricing is ridiculous.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 3:03 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Originally Posted by peteropny
I would never do a pre/post hotel stay with Regent - the pricing is ridiculous.
Exactly. And, they want to put you in the Hyatt Regency in Coral Gables. No way.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 9:37 am

Exactly. And, they want to put you in the Hyatt Regency in Coral Gables. No way.
Well I wouldn't have a major objection to the HR Coral Gables but certainly wouldn't book it through Regent (they probably charge 4x the price that I could find it for).
Old Feb 22, 2015, 3:07 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Reporting back on our first Regent cruise. We were unwowed by the vessel, Navigator, and by a Regent. Coffee was poor, cuisine mediocre, ambiance mid-western, music positively awful. Our suite was great but it was highest level and we would always opt for same or nearly on any line. Not eager to cruise Regent again but don't rule it out.

Next up Belmond barge Amaryllis Semaine des Grand Crus along canals in Burgundy in July.
Then Silversea aboard Whisper to the Amazon and back in November. June 2016 will find us on Seabourn Quest for 14 days cruising Norwegian Fjords.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.