Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Cruises
Reload this Page >

Are Travel Agents of Any Value?

Are Travel Agents of Any Value?

Old Jul 28, 2015, 3:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by cruisr
I understand what you are saying and I do agree with you, especially if you are an experienced traveler. My point is that if you book directly with the cruise line and your price is $20000. and the price a travel agent quotes you for the same exact cabin, amenities, etc. is $20,000 you may come out ahead going with the travel agent. I say "may" as they can sometimes provide value added, such as paying for your trip insurance, ship board credit, etc.

BTW, I do know where the TA commission comes from. I have attended a number of conferences with cruise line execs and the topic of cruise lines going completely direct and cutting out travel agents comes up frequently. I can assure you the price of a cruise would not come down even though that "cost" of commission would be gone. Cruise lines would have to hire new employees and pay the extra salaries and benefits as they would need the extra staff to handle what travel agents handled. That "cost" would be greater then the current commissions. It is not a road they want to go down because the cost/benefit analysis of such a move is not in the cruise line's favor. This is not me saying this its people like Larry Pimentel, Pam Conover, Rick Meadows and Vicki Freed.

In any case I wish you calm seas and blue skies as my friends who work on cruise ships say.
Let's take your example. Skipping all the research and planning steps for brevity we get to the point where we decide we want Cabin 123 on the WhateverSeas for a specific itinerary and if I book directly with the cruise line or a brick and mortar TA it cost $20,000. Now once in awhile even the cruise line or brick and mortar TA will throw in a bottle of wine or some small on-board credit as a thank you. Fine, great but not for me. I go to my discount TA and book the very same Cabin 123 on the same ship and the same itinerary. No cheap bottle of wine or small on-board credit but a real cash discount of $2,400 not some incentive trade off like travel insurance. My very same cruise is now $17,600 versus the $20,000. Kind of a no brainer for me.....simple math. Since I started using Internet TAs and shopping around 11 years ago I've saved literally thousands of dollars without ever one issue or compromise.

I am aware that the cruise lines have thought very hard about internalizing the whole booking process and cutting external travel agencies out of the net. I have two close TA friends who are somewhat concerned about it and while they both think it will happen some day it won't be any time soon for many of the reasons you outlined and probably not during the rest of their 5-10 year work life.

Last edited by Randyk47; Jul 28, 2015 at 3:56 pm
Old Jul 28, 2015, 4:28 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by Randyk47
Let's take your example. Skipping all the research and planning steps for brevity we get to the point where we decide we want Cabin 123 on the WhateverSeas for a specific itinerary and if I book directly with the cruise line or a brick and mortar TA it cost $20,000. Now once in awhile even the cruise line or brick and mortar TA will throw in a bottle of wine or some small on-board credit as a thank you. Fine, great but not for me. I go to my discount TA and book the very same Cabin 123 on the same ship and the same itinerary. No cheap bottle of wine or small on-board credit but a real cash discount of $2,400 not some incentive trade off like travel insurance. My very same cruise is now $17,600 versus the $20,000. Kind of a no brainer for me.....simple math. Since I started using Internet TAs and shopping around 11 years ago I've saved literally thousands of dollars without ever one issue or compromise.

I am aware that the cruise lines have thought very hard about internalizing the whole booking process and cutting external travel agencies out of the net. I have two close TA friends who are somewhat concerned about it and while they both think it will happen some day it won't be any time soon for many of the reasons you outlined and probably not during the rest of their 5-10 year work life.
We are in agreement. A good TA is worthwhile and in your case it's an online TA that discounts and is good. So in my book that's a win for you and the TA. Just curious, do your TA friends get upset when you don't book with them? I have too many TA friends so I just tell them all I cant book with any of them. Then again after over 100 cruises I have run out of itineraries which interest me. The only continent left for me is Antarctica and due to logistics I'll be doing a cruise there, maybe next year. After doing 3-4 cruises a year I have discovered the joys of actually staying in a place and getting to explore it more indepth. It's been 7 months since my last cruise at Xmas and so far I have none planned for this year.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

as noted, some agents split commission with clients
i also recall silversea 20% commission promo

its unfortunate contract benefits are same regardless of spend

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Mar 7, 2017 at 12:45 pm
Old Jul 28, 2015, 8:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by cruisr
We are in agreement. A good TA is worthwhile and in your case it's an online TA that discounts and is good. So in my book that's a win for you and the TA. Just curious, do your TA friends get upset when you don't book with them? I have too many TA friends so I just tell them all I cant book with any of them. Then again after over 100 cruises I have run out of itineraries which interest me. The only continent left for me is Antarctica and due to logistics I'll be doing a cruise there, maybe next year. After doing 3-4 cruises a year I have discovered the joys of actually staying in a place and getting to explore it more indepth. It's been 7 months since my last cruise at Xmas and so far I have none planned for this year.
One TA friend is actually one I booked with for the better part of 10 years up in Northern Virginia. Shortly after we moved to San Antonio I was educated by another cruiser on the benefits of an Internet based TA and associated discounts. She understands I go for the best deal and we remain friends. The second TA is actually a trivia team buddy and she also knows I book my own cruises. She doesn't specialize in the cruise lines and types of cruises we're interested in taking so we have different areas of expertise and knowledge. I do recommend her to newbies who need assistance and she appreciates that.

I do know what you mean about itineraries and running out of areas we've not been to. We're in a bit of that bind ourselves and haven't focused on a destination that interests us for next year. We have a second issue as Mrs. K has a position with her government position that requires all her foreign travel be approved. You'd be surprised where she can't go that's not obvious and doesn't pertain to the average US citizen.

Last edited by Randyk47; Jul 28, 2015 at 8:23 pm
Old Jul 28, 2015, 8:58 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by Randyk47
One TA friend is actually one I booked with for the better part of 10 years up in Northern Virginia. Shortly after we moved to San Antonio I was educated by another cruiser on the benefits of an Internet based TA and associated discounts. She understands I go for the best deal and we remain friends. The second TA is actually a trivia team buddy and she also knows I book my own cruises. She doesn't specialize in the cruise lines and types of cruises we're interested in taking so we have different areas of expertise and knowledge. I do recommend her to newbies who need assistance and she appreciates that.

I do know what you mean about itineraries and running out of areas we've not been to. We're in a bit of that bind ourselves and haven't focused on a destination that interests us for next year. We have a second issue as Mrs. K has a position with her government position that requires all her foreign travel be approved. You'd be surprised where she can't go that's not obvious and doesn't pertain to the average US citizen.
Well if Mrs. K can go and you haven't been I highly recommend Myanmar. I visited it on the Mistake fare a couple years back and fell in love with it. It really deserves a lot of time as opposed to a cruise visit but most of the better cruise lines do try to do three full days in Yangoon which allows for one day there and one day to fly to Bagan. There are some nice itineraries that include Myanmar with Malaysia, Thailand and Singapore.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.