Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Cruises
Reload this Page >

Bringing Alcohol on a Cruise?

Bringing Alcohol on a Cruise?

Old May 2, 2014, 8:33 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
Btw, how much are we looking at for a bottle of wine or a beer onboard a Royal Caribbean ship? Are prices really high?
Old May 2, 2014, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by aster
Btw, how much are we looking at for a bottle of wine or a beer onboard a Royal Caribbean ship? Are prices really high?
Depends on your definition of high. I found this link with pictures of some of the beer/wine lists for different venues on one Royal Caribbean ship (it's either Oasis or Allure). But prices can vary between venues (and between ships depending on where in the world it is sailing) so I would only use this as estimates.

For me, compared to my local area once the local liquor tax is included, the prices onboard are no higher than a drink at a local bar. The wine list markup though is fairly high.

Just remember that when you buy a drink they will automatically add 15% gratuity to the bill and then there will be a line to add more tip if you feel like it. Do not think that you have to add more tip at any point.

Also you can now carry onboard two bottles of wine per cabin at embarkation.
Old May 2, 2014, 9:14 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
Are the all-inclusive packages worth getting? I see that wine could be an issue as it's only given by the glass for these package deals? Which kind of makes paying for bottles seem strange if you go for one of these packages anyway, especially the one with premium wines already included (adequately-named "Premium" package), albeit by the glass.

When they mention beer as being included do they mean all beers onboard, for instance from that pub menu where there seem to be a few dozen types offered?
Old May 2, 2014, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
I'm not a heavy drinker so the all inclusive packages aren't worth it to me (note I also have access to free alcohol in the evenings so my value proposition is going to be quite different than for someone without that access). If you drink a fair amount and don't have to have a specific alcohol, the packages can be a value.

No not all alcohols, wines, beers are included in the various all inclusive packages, even the premium packages. You would need to check out the specific details onboard that should list what is included.
Old May 20, 2014, 11:46 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
This is one reason I really like Disney. Carrying a 24 pack of beer on does not raise the first eyelash.
Old May 20, 2014, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Gonna try DIY powdered vodka and rum next trip.
Old May 21, 2014, 7:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sonofzeus
I heard about that, has it been officially released yet?
Old May 22, 2014, 10:17 pm

Programs: UA1KMM, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Gold
Checking a whole case of wine onboard Princess

On the last couple of cruises, we've checked a whole case of wine with our extra bags. On one cruise they notified us that we needed to pay a corkage fee of $15/bottle for the first 10, 2 were not charged. Since it was a 14 day cruise, we didn't mind since the bottles were stamped and we were able to bring them into the dining room without paying any additional charges. On the next cruise, the entire case was delivered to our room, and we only paid the corkage fee when we brought the bottles to the dining room.
Old May 22, 2014, 10:22 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
On Windstar Cruises, you are allowed two bottles of wine per boarding (each time you board, even from a shore excursion, IME); there is a corkage fee of $17.50 if you decide to consume the wine in the dining room (AmphorA), but it seems not to be so rigidly enforced in Candles.

They distinctly do frown on non-wine alcoholic beverages - it's a profit maker for them, so they prefer you not bring your 16 Y.O. Lagavulin on board (they will keep it for you and return it at the end of the cruise).

Originally Posted by sonofzeus
Originally Posted by biker4life44
I heard about that, has it been officially released yet?
Soon, it appears. Palcohol.
Old May 27, 2014, 10:38 pm

This blogger mentions a way for alochol storage on cruises. Along with some other tips for cheap cruisers: http://www.nomadicmatt.com/travel-blogs/cheap-cruises/
Old May 27, 2014, 11:28 pm

Programs: All, but no status!
Originally Posted by cargo13
This blogger mentions a way for alochol storage on cruises. Along with some other tips for cheap cruisers: http://www.nomadicmatt.com/travel-blogs/cheap-cruises/
Literally LOL! Very funny stuff! I wonder whether that guy has ever actually been on a cruise as he claims. In the beginning, he states you could go to southeast Asia for a month for $800 – you could do that, with lots of frequent flyer miles and hotel points, but what he doesn't seem to realize is that with cruises you can literally cross an ocean over a couple weeks for $500! And, if we're talking about using miles or points, well then the comparable figure for an $800 month-long trip to Southeast Asia should be zero dollars using Chase ultimate rewards or Barclaycard arrival to get a free cruise.

Very funny stuff.

In all seriousness though, he is right that you should not pay $15 per snapshot at the photo gallery. He has figured that one out!
Old Aug 9, 2014, 11:30 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, Fairmont Platinum, ICG Platinum Royal Ambassador, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by JDiver
On Windstar Cruises, you are allowed two bottles of wine per boarding (each time you board, even from a shore excursion, IME); there is a corkage fee of $17.50 if you decide to consume the wine in the dining room (AmphorA), but it seems not to be so rigidly enforced in Candles.
Palcohol.
We live in Napa and prefer our own selection of wine and champagne. Is it two bottles per person or per cabin?

Any logic at all to why the higher end Candles tends not to enforce corkage?

Thanks
Old Aug 10, 2014, 9:10 am

Programs: SA Air, Air Canada, KLM, BA,Lufthansa, United, AA, Hawaiian, Air New Zealnd, Qantas, Virgin Atlantic
Originally Posted by biker4life44
Curious about what people think about this, I found a few sites that show you how to get alcohol on a cruise such as:
http://www.rockbottomcruises.com/alcohol_on_cruise.html

Would you take the risk?
No!
Have you done it before?
No, see above answer.
Have you heard of anyone getting kicked off ship for doing this?
Yes!
Tell me about your experiences.

I'm sure most people have snuck candy into a movie theater so I don't see much of a difference here. What do you think?
Old Aug 13, 2014, 11:13 pm

Programs: All of Them
cork your own to bottles of "wine" and bring the 2 that are allowed . 2 wine bottles of whiskey make the week better
Old Aug 19, 2014, 4:13 pm
Original Member

Programs: AS, UA, HY, Hil, Merr
Just thought of this. Holland Am allows 2 bottles to be brought aboard with out corkage chges etc. Soooo bring 1.5 ltrs, not 750ml! Maybe bigger if your back pack can hold it. This works if you live near port, or can buy near port (ie not off a flight)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.