Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Cruises
Reload this Page >

Family Friendly "Four Seasons Hotel Type" Line/Ship?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Family Friendly "Four Seasons Hotel Type" Line/Ship?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2014, 7:56 pm

Crystal is welcoming of families with young kids. Resort casual, Informal, black-tie optional covers the dress code-- relaxed since we started cruising with Crystal. Also, folks are less willing to pay for excess baggage and deal with airline issues. Frankly if you want to always be in shorts/capris and expect a full nightly buffet: Crystal is not for you.

Depending upon when you decide to cruise, Crystal has had Youth Counselors on board for its young cruisers. My point is: look at the different ship possibilities, (important) work with a travel agent who is knows the difference between mass market, premium and luxury cruiselines.

Be frank with the TA re budget, what you want to experience, when you can cruise and work on a plan.

Another poster has suggested "cruise critic" for more opinions. Cruising doesn't have to be a full-on go-go-go experience. Vacation should be a de-stress time.
Old Apr 29, 2014, 6:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Gold, HH Silver
Originally Posted by 8dimsum
Crystal is welcoming of families with young kids. Resort casual, Informal, black-tie optional covers the dress code-- relaxed since we started cruising with Crystal.
Many thanks for this. Does Crystal have cabins that allow 2 adults and two young children, or are we looking at either two adjoining staterooms or a large suite, only? Seems that their cabins only permit 3 people, making their "kids sail free" promotions of very limited utility.
Old Apr 29, 2014, 11:11 am

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Avis PC, National EE, Seabourn DE
In a way, he answered your question by saying you need to work with a travel agent that understands the market. Wouldn't you feel a bit like an idiot if you booked a cabin based on a statement you read on here that proved to be wrong? The regular cabins on Crystal would be a tight squeeze for two adults. Based on what you have written, my best suggestion would be to do something other than a commercial cruise line.
Old May 1, 2014, 10:04 am

Programs: United GS, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, AMEX PLAT
Say what you will, but Concierge class on Disney is like sailing on a mini Ritz Carlton at sea. Private lounge, Private sun deck, no need to stand in any line, extra services in the rooms and from staff.

My wife and I were in the same boat (yeah, I know) and we would have loved to do Crystal but the kids really needed to be kids... so we tried Disney in concierge class and have done it three times total... never disappointed by the staff or your fellow travelers. I would however only do this on the 7 night cruises on the Disney Fantasy.

The other great part is you can choose as much or as little Disney as you want.
Old May 10, 2014, 10:15 pm

Not intending to ignore y'all: we were busy getting our taxes done before flying out to BJ mid April. We then boarded the Crystal Symphony for a BJ/TJ to Tokyo cruise. We saw some families with kids and a Youth counselor was on board during this cruise. Didn't take notice of what the kids were busy doing.
Old May 11, 2014, 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by hedoman
In a way, he answered your question by saying you need to work with a travel agent that understands the market. Wouldn't you feel a bit like an idiot if you booked a cabin based on a statement you read on here that proved to be wrong? The regular cabins on Crystal would be a tight squeeze for two adults. Based on what you have written, my best suggestion would be to do something other than a commercial cruise line.

We were considering a river cruise for a multi-generational trip (grand parents, parents, and kids (2 under 12yrs and 1 @20yrs). Our travel agent talked us out of a river cruise because of the kids factor and advised of a cruise on Royal Caribbean with 2 suites which had something for every age group. I suggest you call Kathy Doyle/Travel Leaders, tel: 1-800-322-7720 ext. 6207 or email: [email protected].

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.