Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Cruises
Reload this Page >

Silversea or Seabourn- What is the absolute best?

Silversea or Seabourn- What is the absolute best?

Old Jul 17, 2014, 1:46 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by hedoman
BTW, a luxury cruise line does not staff from India and Philippines for front line service personnel.
Some of the best service we have had has come from service-culture Asian personnel, and some of the worst service has come from non-Asians. This is why most would rather fly SQ than SU. YMMV.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 2:33 am

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Avis PC, National EE, Seabourn DE
Originally Posted by 747FC
Some of the best service we have had has come from service-culture Asian personnel, and some of the worst service has come from non-Asians. This is why most would rather fly SQ than SU. YMMV.
What you say is totally true, and equally idiotic in relation to the subject of this thread.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 10:32 am

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG Gold. I share these affiliations so that you can ask me questions about the programs
Silversea or Seabourn, or Regent

We had a very good experience in a suite on the Regent Mariner, and my parents with whom I share similar taste, appreciate the elegance and formality of Silversea.

Currently, I think the new Seabourn ships give this line the advantage, and from those who have sailed with them both, it sounds like service is superior as well.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 11:31 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by hedoman
Have you read anything written by me that would suggest food quality has anything to do with nationality of servers? And why would one person's opinion sway what the majority have written? You have your answer, give it a rest.
I'm not sure that was directed to me or not, but if it was--you misunderstood or didn't fully read my post. I didn't say anything about food quality being related to the nationality of the servers. Your previous comment was about the hiring policy of Silversea as to the nationality of hires. I merely stated that the nationality of hires was irrelevant to me; I am more interested in whether the quality of food on Silversea is of high enough quality to warrant our interest.

Your final comment is also unnecessary, regardless to whomever it was directed. Let's try and be mature and considerate even for those whose opinions or priorities may differ from our own.
Old Aug 8, 2015, 5:02 am

I have just sailed on Seabourn Odyssey and found it fabulous.
If anyone is travelling for the first time. I have a referral certificate for $US400 onboard credit. Pm me and it's yours!
Old Aug 8, 2015, 6:24 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
We've been cruising the Med annually on Silversea for the last four years, some 60 days total and love them. We haven't found a Seabourn itinerary yet that fits our calendar and destination wish list but we keep looking. Based on what we've read and heard from fellow cruisers we know and trust we'd have no qualms about giving them a try if we find the right cruise. After you wade through the supposed pluses and minuses the products are pretty similar. Will say that with the relatively recent downsizing of the Seabourn fleet finding a cruise we want has become more problematic.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 4:07 am

Have you looked at the Europa 2 as an alternative to Seabourn/Silversea in the Med?

Last edited by cathaana; Aug 10, 2015 at 9:52 pm
Old Aug 10, 2015, 4:52 am

Originally Posted by cathaana
Have you looked at the Europa 2 as an alternativ to Seabourn/Silversea in the Med?
We hadn't heard much about the Europa 2 until our last Med cruise but a couple of fellow passengers spoke highly of it. We've kind of run the board so to speak in the Med and are looking to other destinations like South America, Asia, or the South Pacific for our next cruise but we're not committed to any specific cruise line right now.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 6:22 pm

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Avis PC, National EE, Seabourn DE
whoops!

Last edited by hedoman; Sep 2, 2015 at 6:39 pm
Old Jan 30, 2016, 5:18 pm

In 2016 or early 2017 which All inclusive with great food active night activities, great shows, etc life line or ship you recommend with ships over 600 passengers and less than 1,200?
Old Jan 30, 2016, 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by best
In 2016 or early 2017 which All inclusive with great food active night activities, great shows, etc life line or ship you recommend with ships over 600 passengers and less than 1,200?
Regent and Crystal best meet your size requirements. The rest of your criteria is highly subjective so maybe some research on Cruise Critic would help. Personally we're more focused on the smaller ships of 600-700 or smaller like the Seabourn or Silversea fleets which have for us met your other criteria.

Last edited by Randyk47; Jan 30, 2016 at 6:53 pm
Old Jan 31, 2016, 12:37 am

You should start any research into a cruise by deciding where you want to go and what you want to see. For instance, if you want to explore remote islands in the South Pacific then a large ship (over 300 pax) is unsuitable. If you fancy cruising the Mediterranean then bigger ships are OK because each port of call will probably have port facilities. If you just want to cruise for cruising's sake and merely enjoy the facilities a large ship can offer then research individual lines.

I have done one cruise each with Seaboard and Silversea on ships with no more than 300 pax. Food on Seabourn was markedly superior in my view but otherwise standards were roughly the same. In both cases, pretension counts for more than genuine quality.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 4:24 pm

This is an ongoing question that I, too, have asked. We have sailed twice on Seabourn (1 on the (now sold) smaller Legend and one on the current Sojourn) and just returned from our first cruise on the Slversea Spirit. Overall, I give a slight edge to Seabourn. Silversea had much better food - simple, grilled steak, shrimp, salmon at the Grill, heavier (but really tasty) Italian fare at La Terrazza and nice choices of courses at the Restaurant. (There were two other restaurants onboard that we didn't try.) Service is much better on Seabourn and we found more staff learned our names (if that matters to you). Ceiling height seems higher on Seabourn and we preferred their suites. (We didn't like the in-mirror TVs on Silversea.) However, we preferred the veranda on Silversea as the furniture was a nice size - Seabourn's was too big and bulky. We loved the butler system of Silversea. Every suite is assigned a butler who takes room-service orders and is there for anything else one may need - laundry, snacks, tea etc. The pool area on the Spirit is also prettier than that of Seabourn's. Everyone is friendly, helpful and professional on both lines. Frankly, you cannot go wrong with either. In the future we will choose the destination and time we want to sail and see which line has a ship there.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 4:30 am

We have been on SB and SS three times each. All things being equal, we prefer Seabourn.
The experience just seems a bit fresher and we prefer the food. As well, we find the
Silversea butler system better in theory than in practice. That said, we go on cruises
for the destinations, not the perhaps stereotypical cruise experience of trivia games,
captain's parties, etc. The itinerary trumps all for us and we are happy to go on either line, as the differences are not that great.

Even cruises within the same line can differ markedly, depending on the length of the itinerary, time of year, and size of the ship. A 7 day summer cruise is going to be have a different tone than a 12 days cruise off season, the latter having a more mature crowd and some cruise "insiders" who have dozens of cruises under their belts.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 6:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

silvesea having assigned primary butler is great idea, but not having secondary butlers on off hours / off days is odd

Originally Posted by Pausanias
I have done one cruise each with Seaboard and Silversea on ships with no more than 300 pax. Food on Seabourn was markedly superior in my view but otherwise standards were roughly the same. In both cases, pretension counts for more than genuine quality.
totally casual on 2006 seabourn crossing, no problem with food
pretty mediocre on 2011 silversea alaska, including fake formality

hope to see more yachts taking individual bookings in future
but presumably basically no owners really want to do that

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Feb 7, 2016 at 6:41 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.