Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Cruises
Sign in using an external account

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Nov 15, 13, 3:46 pm   #1
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Programs: AA Gold
Posts: 3,034
Allure of the Seas Propulsion Issues-Feb 23, 2014 Sailing Cancelled

RCCL's Allure of the Seas has been experiencing propulsion issues since early October, which has led to shorter port times on it's Eastern Caribbean itineraries due to needing more time to get between Nassau and St. Thomas.

To fix the issue, the ship is going into drydock in the Bahamas on Feb 24, 2014. As a result, the Feb 23rd, sailing has been cancelled.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/alerts...ge_alert&rep=1
wrp96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 13, 9:51 am   #2
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: ATL
Programs: AA GLD (1MM), DL PM, MR GLD, SPG GLD, RCL D+, X Elite, AX PLT
Posts: 3,058
Great ship. Glad they're able to repair her close by.
__________________
Blog - Twitter - Facebook - LinkedIn
Formerly known as flyastrojets
MJonTravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 13, 11:18 am   #3
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Programs: AA Gold
Posts: 3,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJonTravel View Post
Great ship. Glad they're able to repair her close by.
I'm surprised they were. Original rumor was they were going to give Allure the Oasis dry dock space in Europe next year. Glad they didn't have to do that.

Was just on Oasis last week. As someone who said these ships were too big for me previously, I was very impressed.
wrp96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 13, 7:33 pm   #4
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: London, Ontario
Posts: 5,031
I think if this was something needing drydock, they probably would have taken it to Europe first, instead of Oasis. But I think they have determined this is something that can be fixed in the water, but just needs the time to do it. Unless of course, Freeport has a new drydock.
DanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 13, 9:07 am   #5
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: ATL
Programs: AA GLD (1MM), DL PM, MR GLD, SPG GLD, RCL D+, X Elite, AX PLT
Posts: 3,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrp96 View Post
As someone who said these ships were too big for me previously, I was very impressed.
I'm not exaggerating when I say our 2 weeks on Allure were probably our two finest RCL cruises. Perhaps the ship being pretty new with top notch crew had something to do with it....I'm sure it did. Maybe it was just having 2 full weeks to really wind down. But the experience, the shows, everything was just excellent. Frankly, the engineering behind the ship impresses me too.

Every time I hear someone who hasn't sailed on Oasis or Allure complain about the crowds, I smile. Allure holds the distinction of being the only ship on which I never had to hunt for a pool chair, and we were full both weeks. Things would get a little busy around the elevators after a show or outside the main dining room, but otherwise, I think RCL demonstrated how to handle a crowd on these ships. Of course, booking your shows, etc. in advance was something I found to be key in keeping us out of a line.
__________________
Blog - Twitter - Facebook - LinkedIn
Formerly known as flyastrojets
MJonTravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 13, 3:30 pm   #6
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: CHI
Posts: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJonTravel View Post
I'm not exaggerating when I say our 2 weeks on Allure were probably our two finest RCL cruises. Perhaps the ship being pretty new with top notch crew had something to do with it....I'm sure it did. Maybe it was just having 2 full weeks to really wind down. But the experience, the shows, everything was just excellent. Frankly, the engineering behind the ship impresses me too.

Every time I hear someone who hasn't sailed on Oasis or Allure complain about the crowds, I smile. Allure holds the distinction of being the only ship on which I never had to hunt for a pool chair, and we were full both weeks. Things would get a little busy around the elevators after a show or outside the main dining room, but otherwise, I think RCL demonstrated how to handle a crowd on these ships. Of course, booking your shows, etc. in advance was something I found to be key in keeping us out of a line.
I agree, we loved our cruise on the Allure. I'd love to try the Oasis, but what's holding me back is the itineraries offered. I know they are port-limited due to their size, but I'm really hoping they are able to change things up one day.
Rene23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 13, 4:55 pm   #7
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: ATL
Programs: AA GLD (1MM), DL PM, MR GLD, SPG GLD, RCL D+, X Elite, AX PLT
Posts: 3,058
I think some ports will eventually be added. Sometime around the holidays last year, Allure went to a port...I can't remember which one...that is not usually on the itinerary.

These ships are such destinations in and of themselves.... We were on for 14 days, and 7 days right in the middle (other than the turnaround in Lauderdale) we did not exit the ship. But I agree, a little variety every now and then would be nice.
__________________
Blog - Twitter - Facebook - LinkedIn
Formerly known as flyastrojets
MJonTravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 13, 9:15 pm   #8
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Programs: AA Gold
Posts: 3,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene23 View Post
I agree, we loved our cruise on the Allure. I'd love to try the Oasis, but what's holding me back is the itineraries offered. I know they are port-limited due to their size, but I'm really hoping they are able to change things up one day.
Well Oasis is going to Europe next year if you are interested in different ports.
wrp96 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 2:56 pm.