Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is having a Cruise worth it?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2013, 8:52 am
Original Poster

Is having a Cruise worth it?

Hi everyone, I am just wondering what is so special about Cruise trips? I don't know how to swim and I have a fear of drowning. Is it safe to take a Cruise trip? How different it is compared to trips like exploring other countries and no water involved?

Any input is greatly appreciated. I would like to try but since I have this fear of drowning, do you think this kind of trip will be worth it?

Thanks!
Old Nov 7, 2013, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

there are all-inclusive hotels, at all price levels
Old Nov 7, 2013, 10:34 am

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I don't really like cruises. While there have been several mishaps, I don't think there is a high probability of drowning on a boat. (OK, if you drink too much and jump over the railing, then there is a very high probability of drowning.)

I don't like cruises because it's as if you've never left home. You are surrounded by people like you (mostly), familiar food. On cruises, I find it's hard to get a feel for the ports. It's mostly just sightseeing, not a lot of exploring.

But, it depends on what you like in travel.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
The nice thing about cruises is that it allows you to visit multiple cities/countries in a short amount of time. Based on your first impressions with a particular destination, you can then make future decisions on where to visit later for an extended period of time.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by hmitchie
Hi everyone, I am just wondering what is so special about Cruise trips? I don't know how to swim and I have a fear of drowning. Is it safe to take a Cruise trip? How different it is compared to trips like exploring other countries and no water involved?

Any input is greatly appreciated. I would like to try but since I have this fear of drowning, do you think this kind of trip will be worth it?

Thanks!
The chances of drowning on a cruise are infinitesimal. Cruise ships are basically floating hotels which enable you to unpack once while visiting different ports of call. Because your fear of drowning appears to be very very strong, I would suggest starting out with a short cruise of two or three days to see how you handle it before signing up for a week long or ten day cruise. You might surprise yourself.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 5:49 pm

Programs: AA, WN, Hyatt, Club Carlson, HHonors, MRewards, CET, M Life
Yes - it's safe.

You won't know if it's worth it until you've tried it.

It all depends on what you're looking for. To me, a cruise is just hotel + transportation. Food is bonus (as some are just okay). It's great having to unpack only once and see different cities/countries in a limited amount of time.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 6:32 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Falconflyer Gold, The Ritz-Carlton Silver
Cruising is a very diverse world, and while the base idea is one, there is a cruise out there that suits you.

First of all, in terms of safety, the risk is non-existent. Ships are required to carry enough life-saving equipment for 200% of the souls onboard, and usually carry substantially more than that. If one looks at the major accidents involving cruise ships, they are rare and far-between. The Costa Concordia accident (where 4,000+ people survived), was the first major accident to occur to a [I]major[I] passenger liner since the Andrea Doria in 1958. Ships are probably the safest transport available, and in the extremely unlikely event that something occurs, you would not be required to swim, for there are more than enough lifeboats, life rafts, and life jackets for everyone aboard and then some.

Moving on from the safety aspect, I find cruising to be an extraordinary value. No where else can you enjoy such comfort and luxury while simultaneously experiencing the world around you. Depending on your individual requirements, there is a cruise out there for you, period. If somebody out there comes out and says 'the ship was too crowded' that is not because all cruise ships are crowded. Had they, for example, booked themselves aboard a Crystal or Seabourn vessel, which are what are considered luxury and ultra-luxury cruise lines respectively, the ships would have been spacious in the extreme.

Cruises afford you an opportunity to travel to anywhere in the world. It gives you the opportunity to travel in comfort that even private jets would not allow you to enjoy, while doing as much, or as little as you like. If you want to feel like you're on your private yacht, there are cruises out there for you, if you want to be on a large mega-resort, there are cruises out there for you, if you want to be on an expedition ship exploring the Antarctic, you may do so and if you want to be aboard a grand hotel that becomes your home in a way that a hotel may never be, you may do that too. If you would like to stay longer in port, cruise line such as Azamara and Crystal are adding more overnight stays than ever before.

Going back to the value aspect, you would never be able to enjoy the luxurious accommodations, beautiful public rooms, great food that cruises afford you, especially on Seabourn and Crystal (my two favourite lines evidently) for a similar price as you would on a cruise. For example, there is a full-service Nobu restaurant aboard both the Crystal ships- yet, it is included in your fare. On land, it would cost about $200-300, plus accommodation, plus everything else. The camaraderie you have on the luxury lines is also fantastic, and you get to meet some great people.

If you choose any quality of cruise, I believe you will get great value versus the price paid. Weather that is $300 or $100,000, I am of the opinion that it would be difficult to even stay in similar accommodations for a similar length of time on land, never mind the food and entertainment that comes with it.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 8:27 pm

You will only know if cruises are the thing for you when you embark on one. I encourage you to consider a short 5 or 7 night cruise so you can find out what they are all about. There are so many options that you will find one that fits your budget and I agree that they are great value. I am sure that once you are on board you will forget your concerns about safety; that should not be an issue for you to worry about.
Old Nov 13, 2013, 5:54 am

Our family loves cruising and we will be boarding a Celebrity ship next Monday.

Can't wait!!
Old Nov 13, 2013, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PokerHammy
Yes - it's safe.

You won't know if it's worth it until you've tried it.

It all depends on what you're looking for. To me, a cruise is just hotel + transportation. Food is bonus (as some are just okay). It's great having to unpack only once and see different cities/countries in a limited amount of time.
+1

Wish we could book a subset of fixed itineraries at a proportionally reduced fare.

Downlining in Athens and flying to Berlin on our May 2013 cruise while the chumps had to suffer 3 more days before disembarking in Civitavecchia...priceless.
Old Nov 13, 2013, 12:28 pm

I've found that I love to cruise personally. But I've also been lucky and found a cruise line that I think fits pretty well with what I want from my cruising experience.

For me, one of the biggest things I like about the cruising experience is that I'm basically forced to disconnect fom the world. No internet, no news, basically nothing but the day to day experience of the cruise I'm on. So, for me, it's something of a chance to just sit back and let life slow down a little. (Obviously that varies some, I didnt get a great chance to relax on the Baltic cruise I took this summer, it's just got too many ports in too short of a time). I tend to like cruises that have an extra day or two at sea, which isn't always what people like. I don't need a ship that has rock climbing walls or ice skating rinks, or things like that, because it'snot what I'm looking for in the cruise experience. Then again, other people clearly like that type of thing.

Only way to know is to try it. That said, I'm not sure a 7 day out of New York would really be my first choice of cruises to try. Those tend to be somewhat limited on where they can get within that time period, with basically Bermuda or a New England cruise being about the only choices. I'm not sure if I'd say those are great introductions to cruising.

But personally, I've seen a lot more of the world than I ever would have expected to in my life since I've started cruising, and done things I would have said you were insane if you told me I'd be doing them. And even though cruising can insulate you from the real life in the area you're visiting, if you make an effort, you can often get glimpses of what's there. Probably my favorite excursion I've done is a day spent on a speed boat on the Rio Negro. Besides the sight seeing from the boat, we swam with the pink dolphins, spent a little time on a beach, ate lunch at a native's house, and visited a tribal reservation to view a welcoming ceremony. Absolutely one of the most incredible experiences I've ever had.
Old Nov 16, 2013, 10:47 am
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for so much input! I guess I will start with the shortest cruise trip that I could find and test myself out! Hoping I would enjoy it!
Old Nov 17, 2013, 5:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
My best use of a cruise would be a eastbound TATL. Getting to a stage where it takes me well over a week to adjust to the time change between Pacific and Central European time zone (9 hours). A 2 week cruise with about 1 hr change every 2 days would be just dandy.
Old Nov 17, 2013, 5:43 am

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
My best use of a cruise would be a eastbound TATL. Getting to a stage where it takes me well over a week to adjust to the time change between Pacific and Central European time zone (9 hours). A 2 week cruise with about 1 hr change every 2 days would be just dandy.
I use cruises Westbound from Europe or Med to USA, especially returning from India or China.

OP I highly encourage yo to do a seven day Carrib cruise. Touches land almost everyday.
Old Nov 20, 2013, 11:23 am

Having been on 3 cruises, I would find them to be a better experience if one had to pay for meals. The free dining just encourages overconsumption of food.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.