Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Cruises
Reload this Page >

Is having a Cruise worth it?

Is having a Cruise worth it?

Old Mar 3, 2014, 9:07 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, UA Silver
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
The nice thing about cruises is that it allows you to visit multiple cities/countries in a short amount of time. Based on your first impressions with a particular destination, you can then make future decisions on where to visit later for an extended period of time.
This is exactly what I love about cruises. Along with the fact that (almost everything on board is taken care of in terms of food, activities etc) and it really is a stress free trip.

We are a young couple and my wife and I thoroughly enjoying "cruising"
Old Mar 12, 2014, 5:49 am

CruiseDeals

Years ago, we were cruising adverse because we did not want to give up our freedom/flexibility of travel. Then my parents who as they got older liked the concept of planned itineraries where they dont need to do much planning at individual stops (eg, book a hotel, rental car, tour guide, etc) repeat cruise x3/year convinced us to try cruising again.

We went on Royal Caribbean's Oasis of the Seas and the ship was the destination, the services/amenities were great, there was so much diversity /activity on the ship, etc that we really enjoyed it as a place to rest & set our on schedule.

If you are in FL or a major port city (Baltimore, NYC, Seattle) I suggest you start with a cruise from your local market. I agree that starting with a modest # nights is best. We use a website that has starter cruises right on the homepage: www.cruisedeals.com

Cruisedeals tells us that 80% of customer repeat cruise x2/year, so it can definitely be addictive. We change it up and take land vacations in between our cruises now.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 6:47 am
Original Member

Programs: AA-EXP (15yrs) 3+MM , exDLPlt, exCOPlt, Cruiseaholic (250+)
I must hate cruising......

Is cruising worth it? Best vacation value out there. Great way to find new locations that you may want to visit again. Do as much or as little as you want. Affinity programs that yield impressive benefits that don't require annual requalification. Meals from casual fast food to sit-down dining that is generally fairly good and included (the gourmet stuff costs extra). Someone else makes the bed and cleans the bathroom, and all sorts of helpful people should you need something. Free entertainment, the list could go on.

The real question is whether you will like cruising. I love to fly, but I like cruising even more. Of course, the ridiculously low prices help. Going on a five day Key West/Mexico cruise Saturday.....for $179 or about $35 a day, and it includes four hours a day of complimentary libations in addition to all of the above.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 7:14 am

Looking forward to two cruises this year. Yippee.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 12:28 pm

my first cruise experience was a oceanview balcony room on the Norwegian jewel .as someone who normally can't sit still and needs to explore, i don't think i can fully enjoy anything without a balcony . I guess i am now spoiled.

The views and sounds of the open waters are humbling, and the opportunity to just sit down and watch, fall asleep and wake up to those things in the very comfort of your own room are priceless.

HAPPY HAPPY WASHY WASHY!

Last edited by bones718; Apr 9, 2014 at 12:34 pm
Old Apr 10, 2014, 6:41 am

Just read David Foster Wallace's classic piece on cruises: http://harpers.org/wp-content/upload...01-0007859.pdf
Old Apr 21, 2014, 6:34 am

if you can afford it, yes ) but how oftne would you really go with a cruise on vacation? i would save the money and just get a cruis when i need it
Old Apr 23, 2014, 1:17 pm
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
I think our best travel experience ever was a transpacific cruise on a freighter, Auckland - Fiji - San Francisco. Around US$90 pppd, had the run of the ship - bridge, engine room, etc. Ate with the officers, learned lots about maritime commerce, had 20 days to stare at the sea. Outside of ports, we saw precisely ONE other vessel the whole way. No buffets, no ice sculpting, no floor shows. Books, shortwave, videos, dolphins and flying fish; sailed under the Golden Gate bridge at sunset on Christmas Eve. Magic.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 5:43 am

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
We do cruising at the luxury end.

Its like staying at a decent resort hotel with nice food (choice of cruise line is important here), good wine, evening entertainment, different things to see during the day if we are in port, interesting talks or classes if at sea (choice of cruise line is important here) or just a chance to chill by the pool (in port or at sea). Spa treatments if you are so inclined.

Most cruise ships have kids clubs to keep the kids entertained while you get time to chill.

We have to be careful to make time to relax given we find a lot to do ashore and on-board.

You get to see the same faces regularly at meal times, at the bar or around the ship so you get to meet the same people over the course of a few days and get to know them. We are fairly social and like this aspect.

And you only have to pack and unpack once despite getting to see different places.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 7:15 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by manneca
I don't really like cruises. While there have been several mishaps, I don't think there is a high probability of drowning on a boat. (OK, if you drink too much and jump over the railing, then there is a very high probability of drowning.)

I don't like cruises because it's as if you've never left home. You are surrounded by people like you (mostly), familiar food. On cruises, I find it's hard to get a feel for the ports. It's mostly just sightseeing, not a lot of exploring.

But, it depends on what you like in travel.
Agreed. Cruising is very safe.

It is good mode of travelling for the unadventuresome.

I have been on two major market cruise company excursions at the behest of my wife. I absolutely loathed them.

Last edited by Badenoch; Apr 28, 2014 at 9:25 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.