Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cruising solo

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2013, 11:42 pm
Original Poster

Cruising solo

Why do you cruise solo? I'm considering cruising solo because all my friends are working/in school. However, I really don't want to pay 200%

Is there any interest in finding a random fter to cruise with? If there's programs to share hotel rooms, surely there's room for solo cruisers...
I haven't check cruisecritic yet...
Old Oct 24, 2013, 6:42 am

Programs: DL Gold, DL MM 8/22/16!
There is another thread on this further in, but thought I'd respond here.

www.vacationstogo.com lets one select for "single". The cruises then shown include a single supplement. A few have 0%, lots are in the 20% range, and then on up. But usually much better than just paying full rate for the empty space.

Some cruise lines offer singles rooms, and again there is more on this in the other thread.

Regarding sharing with an unknown roommate - I've tried it. Once it worked quite well and we ended friends. But the second (and last time I tried it) the tour director had 4 singles. He decided to rotate us. One of the three was an unbelievably loud snorer. I travel with ear plugs and her volume was way beyond that. Also wanted to be my "new best friend" and tracked me everywhere. The second had just plain weird personal habits, and kept "forgetting" to leave the single key at the desk or not opening the door when I knocked to get in. The third was fine and in sheer desperation we asked the tour director to stop the rotation process and we roomed together the rest of the way. So - I decided 50% odds were way too low to mar another trip. Spare yourself.

Romelle
Old Oct 24, 2013, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
I've thought about this if the rates get so rock-bottomy low, such as after Carnival getting another publicity hit from a poop ship, possibly in combination with hurricane season. In other words, a bottom-fishing exercise just to see if the price is good (even if you have to pay for 2). But lately it's still hard to do because I've booked up my time "slots" with other deals.

It IS pretty close quarters, and the snoring can be an issue for some. The whole name of the game is scheduling flexibility, so you're going at times or under arrangements (like positioning cruises) that are the least popular.
Old Oct 24, 2013, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
I've had good luck finding roommates though cruise critic but I've posted there for awhile and so basically "knew" from posting history who they were.

If you search, you can sometimes find deals on single supplements especially last minute or for cruises that aren't selling well. I found a deal 2 weeks ago for a cruise next week - I'm only paying a 110% surcharge on Oasis of the Seas.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 12:38 am

If you are cruising solo. Norwegian Cruise Lines has three ships with Studio rooms that are charge roughly 60% of a double rate. These are available on the Epic, Getaway and Breakaway ships. They also have a studio singles lounge as well where they help organize events and group dinners.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
I cruised on Getaway in a solo cabin last month. It was not bad at all and I met a couple of cool people. It wouldn't be my cruise preference, but I tagged on with friends pretty late in the game when all were paired up already and didn't feel like paying 200% for a veranda or suite and I didn't want to be the 3rd in an already small cabin either!

Don't rule out meeting suitable cruise companions around these parts either. I've cruised with a friend from FT (we've known each other 12+ years now but met at a Do) and a friend from another travel group.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 2:36 pm

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Avis PC, National EE, Seabourn DE
Forget the single supplement. I know, most cannot get beyond the concept of paying more than the two people in the next cabin. Choose a per diem you can live with and begin your shopping.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 10:01 pm

Singlescruise.com

Try www.singlescruise.com.

You can pay the single supplement and maintain a cabin to yourself (some cruise lines (Carnival --I think--does not always charge a single supplement) or Singlescruise.com will room mate match you. If there is not a room mate match, you get the cabin to yourself but your price is protected/not changed.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 11:17 am

Programs: PC Plat, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold,HHonors Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite
Lot of cruise lines will offer last minute sales to waive the supplement and a lot of the transatlantic cruise historically have had single supplements waived.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 4:36 am

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
At the luxury end, you might wish to consider Crystal Cruises. The single supplement for non-balcony rooms is only 30%. Loads of solo passengers on Crystal. I have even seen the single supplement waive of specific cruises which are quieter.

Crystal prices are pricey but it is at the luxury end and is all inclusive. I have also see events organised for solo passengers and in the evenings there are Ambasadors Hosts for dancing with solo female passengers. They have now taken on an Ambasador Hostess to test the market.

Crystal offers a choice of fixed time dining or dining by reservation (you can book for a different dinner time every night). If you go for fixed time dining, you will be sat on large table; sometimes only solo passengers, sometimes with other couples or groups which gives a good opportunity to mix and mingle.

If you are concerned, despite being all-inclusive, it is still a very quiet crowd so you will not see drunk passengers slumped on a deck chair in the middle of the day. There is a good selection of well-know spirits, a fixed selection of red and white wines (about six of each); premium coffees/teas, bottles of mineral water (even to take off the ship for excursions). Food is of a very good quality. Evening entertainment is excellent.

You do have to pay for organised shore excursions although free shuttle buses are normally provided if the ship docks some distance from town.

Last edited by KenJohn; Apr 25, 2014 at 4:45 am
Old Apr 29, 2014, 4:02 am

Programs: Mileage Plus, Aadvantage, Skymiles, Marriott, Priority Club, SPG, Amtrak, Hertz
I've been researching this too. Island Windjammers and Blount are two casual, small-ship lines that will let you book the regular rate is you're willing to be paired with a roommate. I think both these lines are a bit offbeat - they're really casual, and the cruises are pricey even though they're not luxury. But they look really appealing to me because I want to spend my entire vacation in flip-flops and bringing a prom dress is a minus.

I found this cruise critic article helpful.

Island Windjammers:
Solo Sailors
For those traveling solo, we offer the option of paying the published cruise rate and being paired with a same sex cabin mate. Solo Sailors also have the option of booking a private cabin for a premium “Single Supplement” rate. Single Supplement rates are not valid in Owners’ Suite and are subject to blackout dates. Holiday surcharges and other restrictions may apply. Check out Sagitta's Solo Sojourn, an exclusive sailing for Solo Sailors. Fares on request.

Blount:
Several options are available if you are traveling alone. We do have select cabins configured as single accommodations and priced for single occupancy only. We also offer a “Willing to Share” program that allows you to pay a per person rate for a double occupancy room. You will be waitlisted for a same-gender traveling companion, however should no other person reserve under this program you will be placed alone in that double occupancy cabin. We also have designated double occupancy cabins you may reserve at an additional cost. Please ask your reservationist for details.
Old Apr 29, 2014, 10:36 am

Programs: AA GLD (1MM), DL GLD, Marriott Plat, RCL D+, X Elite
Solo Cruise Resource has let their internet URL expire, but is still active on Facebook. With the new link rules, I'm not 100 percent positive I can post a link here, but since I'm not benefitting from it....perhaps it's ok. facebook.com/solocruiseresource
Old May 16, 2014, 7:51 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
Booking my Galapagos cruise right now - no single supplement has to be paid. This is a last-minute cruise though.
Old May 17, 2014, 4:51 am

Programs: Mileage Plus, Aadvantage, Skymiles, Marriott, Priority Club, SPG, Amtrak, Hertz
Originally Posted by ldsant
Booking my Galapagos cruise right now - no single supplement has to be paid. This is a last-minute cruise though.
With what company?
Old May 17, 2014, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by Kay_nyc
With what company?
==================
G Adventures serves the Galapagos and there are single options with room mate or with single supplement for dedicated cabin. You can call SinglesCruise.com to book: 1=800-393-5000.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.